is smoking weed bad? (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
bazookajoe said:
The person who trawled online dictionaries to try and beat me over the definition of a word in a thread about the dangers of drugs is telling me I failed :(
it's not even a good definition, it leaves out the most obvious meaning. blaaargh.

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
bazookajoe said:
The person who trawled online dictionaries to try and beat me over the definition of a word in a thread about the dangers of drugs is telling me I failed :(
Trawled online dictionaries?

google

define: literally

first definition

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
So what you've said here

IronMaiden said:
It literally grasps full control of your mind, at least with alcohol you have some control.
Is completely "without exaggeration"?

blakegman

HSC
N/A
hey guyz can we jus go back to talkin bout da weed man.

i luv rollin a blunt afta a hard deyz work na mean.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I don't really work, the weed has total control over me and leaves me unmotivated :(

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Wtf, just because people use the word 'literally' in a hyperbolic sense doesn't make it right.

Nat3skiz

HSC
you physically cannot overdose on weed.
though there are side effects of its use.
you'll grow out of it...

Eversor

HSC
No, weed is awesome, infact you should get blazed before every exam... RIGHT BEFORE EVERY EXAM!!!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Slidey said:
That's like how people say you can't overdose on speed or caffeine, but the truth is you can if you do shitloads upon shitloads of it (like 10 times more than any kind of recreational dose)*.

Heck, you can overdose on water.

* If you have a weak heart, don't take caffeine or amphetamines.
people don't say you can't overdose on speed.

with weed, the lethal threshold is far above the level that you could stay awake at.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Nat3skiz said:
you physically cannot overdose on weed.
though there are side effects of its use.
you'll grow out of it...
i don't think you really ever 'grow out of' weed, it just becomes a different type of experience. it moves from a substance consumed behind dingy buildings with friends, to a substance you take with mates at home, to a substance you have a joint of after drinking with friends, to a think you sometimes have with a movie, or a red wine, after a stressful day at work.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
last year the lancet rated it the 9th drug with the most evidence behind it being dangerous..

alcohol was higherat 5 .. E was 10 .. heroin was 1...

*shrug*.. the 3 main legal rec drugs
- Caffeine- safe, requires very high doses, is in too many foods, does not impair judgement. Stimulant. Linked to high blood pressure

- Alcohol- Jesus used it and as beer/wine for lots of society it was right up there with bread, is part of many foods, impairs judgement and coordination. Depressant. Linked to liver damage, addiction/abuse and brain injury. High rates of assaults and motor vechicle accidents.

- Nicotine- is in cigars/cigerettes and does not impair judgement and co-ordination. Stimulant via inhalation is popular. Linked to cancers and lung disease due to cigarettes.

Interestingly the alcohol should be in theory illegal based on the criteria.. but lots of experience and western history makes it more favourable than weed... which in a sense is lik alcohol + cigerettes in terms of effects.

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
last year the lancet rated it the 9th drug with the most evidence behind it being dangerous..

alcohol was higherat 5 .. E was 10 .. heroin was 1...
Nah, out of 20 measured substances, with 5 legal drugs for comparison, including alcohol and tobacco, they ranked cannabis 11th. Ecstasy was rated 18th.

"It is a real step towards evidence-based classification of drugs."

MOST HARMFUL DRUGS

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6474053.stm

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I am guessing that the harmfulness of cannabis is inflated because of its main method of consumption: smoking, which can cause lung cancer. However, if cannabis is consumed orally (e.g. hash brownies), I'm guessing the harm rating would drop.

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
I am guessing that the harmfulness of cannabis is inflated because of its main method of consumption: smoking, which can cause lung cancer. However, if cannabis is consumed orally (e.g. hash brownies), I'm guessing the harm rating would drop.
that is one way you can od though.. unlikely but more probable.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Ennaybur said:
You can't actually od though, ever. The LC50 of cannabis is unknown, but iirc estimated at something like 500'000 times a recreational dose. Consuming that much cake would be problematic.

Unless you mean od in the sense of making yourself extremely ill, which is quite possible if you're foolish.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ennaybur said:
no, not unless someone is forcing the cannabis down your throat whilst you're asleep. there's a reason why there hasn't ever been an OD on weed.

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
Yeah by od i kinda just meant get sick... but I assume you'd also vomit it up.

it's funny, we were looking at the fatality stats from last year (i think) and it had weed: 1. and everyone was like :confused: ... i assume it's lung cancer

but it's amazing to see that in comparison with alcohol etc and then hear people shout about how bad weed is for you.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
blakegman said:
I'm surprised ecstasy is lower then weed tbh.
I'm not that surprised. Weed = lung cancer. Ecstasy = elevated heart rate, bad come down, grinding teeth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)