is smoking weed bad? (1 Viewer)

Arikasa

HSC
I don't think smoking weed is as badder as the media says.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Just because weed isn't as dangerous as some legalised substances such as tobacco, i still don't think that makes it "good" for you. What I mean is just because something isn't as bad as something else, doesn't mean it's therefore good. Weed is bad for your health.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Just because weed isn't as dangerous as some legalised substances such as tobacco, i still don't think that makes it "good" for you. What I mean is just because something isn't as bad as something else, doesn't mean it's therefore good. Weed is bad for your health.
however it is enjoyable

a c

HSC
Are you really doing medicine.

Chemicals aren't 'good' or 'bad', they are amoral. Is morphine, or ketamine, or ethanol bad? They're all medicines, but also potential drugs of abuse. Marijuana has legitimate prescription medical applications also, off the top of my head it's a bronchodilator, analgesic, antiemetic etc, it's approved for medical use in countries.

Does this mean that these chemicals, morphine, ketamine, ethanol, are only 'good' (to say health promoting), when they are prescribed by a doctor? Of course not, especially when you consider the multifaceted nature of health. People commonly and accurately self medicate. The WHO extends its definition of health to social and psychological functioning, for many people so called 'recreational' use of drugs is health promoting when you consider this aspect, if marijuana use facilitates improved social connections in your life, or simply makes you feel good psychologically, in that sense it can be considered health promoting (there are also studies linking marijuana compounds to combating lung cancer etc, there are health promoting effects from a purely biomedical standpoint).

Of course, while they're getting this improved social health from marijuana, maybe smoking has a negative impact on their respiratory system. Compare this to a chronic pain sufferer who is prescribed opiates. As a consequence of his long-term opiate use he suffers nausea, wasting, addiction. However the alternative is to become completely non-functional due to pain. The point I'm trying to make in this analogy is that you can't categorise a drug into black and white 'good' and 'bad' dichotomies, it's all grey, every drug has contraindications and adverse effects.

mirakon

nigga
HSC

Chemicals aren't 'good' or 'bad', they are amoral. Is morphine, or ketamine, or ethanol bad? They're all medicines, but also potential drugs of abuse. Marijuana has legitimate prescription medical applications also, off the top of my head it's a bronchodilator, analgesic, antiemetic etc, it's approved for medical use in countries.

Does this mean that these chemicals, morphine, ketamine, ethanol, are only 'good' (to say health promoting), when they are prescribed by a doctor? Of course not, especially when you consider the multifaceted nature of health. People commonly and accurately self medicate. The WHO extends its definition of health to social and psychological functioning, for many people so called 'recreational' use of drugs is health promoting when you consider this aspect, if marijuana use facilitates improved social connections in your life, or simply makes you feel good psychologically, in that sense it can be considered health promoting (there are also studies linking marijuana compounds to combating lung cancer etc, there are health promoting effects from a purely biomedical standpoint).

Of course, while they're getting this improved social health from marijuana, maybe smoking has a negative impact on their respiratory system. Compare this to a chronic pain sufferer who is prescribed opiates. As a consequence of his long-term opiate use he suffers nausea, wasting, addiction. However the alternative is to become completely non-functional due to pain. The point I'm trying to make in this analogy is that you can't categorise a drug into black and white 'good' and 'bad' dichotomies, it's all grey, every drug has contraindications and adverse effects.
Im referring to casual use rather than prescribed medicinal use. The fact is smoking marijuana is badfor your respiratory system and personally I think this takes precedence over the positive psychological effect of using.it socially, especially since its possible to attain social acceptance without taking drugs but its not possible to maintain good respiratory health from continued smoking of marijuana

SanjoyM

HSC
YES! OFCOURSE it is... Detrimental and fatal if smoked on a regular basis

mirakon

nigga
HSC

Also I'm fairly sure that medicinal marijuana is not taken in by smoking anyway, and since the topic refers to the health effects of "smoking" weed I think we can assume its referring to its casual usage anyway.

a c

HSC
Im referring to casual use rather than prescribed medicinal use. The fact is smoking marijuana is badfor your respiratory system and personally I think this takes precedence over the positive psychological effect of using.it socially, especially since its possible to attain social acceptance without taking drugs but its not possible to maintain good respiratory health from continued smoking of marijuana
It's not even just psychological though, there are health promoting biomedical applications for which people use it. It's frequently used 'recreationally' for the same reasons it is prescribed - analgesia, antiemetic, sedative appetite stimulant etc...

For some of those applications, marijuana reportedly has less side effects for some people, some of the time, than prescription medications people might otherwise use.

It's no different to a legit chronic pain sufferer using opiates obtained illicitly.

its not possible to maintain good respiratory health from continued smoking of marijuana
Smoking up to a joint per day doesn't seem to decrease lung function, according to a study published in Jan. 11 edition of Journal of the American Medical Association.In fact, occasional marijuana use was associated with slightincreases in lung airflow rates and increases in lung volume, the study found.
Far from a license to light up, the study eases the worry among some health professionals that daily use of marijuana for medical reasons could have negative, long-term implications on pulmonary health.
The study, led by Mark Pletcher of the University of California, San Francisco, compared the effects of both cigarette and marijuana smoking over a period of 20 years in a group of more than 5,000 adults, part of a longitudinal study called Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA).

The data revealed nothing new about tobacco: As exposure to tobacco goes up, lung capacity in terms of the amount of air a smoker can exhale goes down. It's a linear relationship.
Not so with marijuana. More pot smoking was associated with increases in lung capacity up to a level equivalent to about one joint per day for seven years or one joint per week for up to 49 years. Only at levels of marijuana smoking higher than this did the researchers see a leveling off and then potential reversal of this relationship to improved lung capacity.
http://www.livescience.com/17837-marijuana-lung-health.html

Also I'm fairly sure that medicinal marijuana is not taken in by smoking anyway
How sure are you?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
so you're saying that only things that maintain good health should be legal and anything that threatens that should be illegal

like Graney said, basically all medicines should be illegal then due to side effects or potential for overdose

mirakon

nigga
HSC
so you're saying that only things that maintain good health should be legal and anything that threatens that should be illegal

like Graney said, basically all medicines should be illegal then due to side effects or potential for overdose
I never said it should be illegal at all, hell I actually think marijuana should be legalised because otherwise you got the stupid inconsistency that a worse drug (tobacco) is legalised and marijuana is illegal when it probably has milder effects on health. All I'm saying is that there are countless studies that show recreational, non-medicinal use of marijuana has detrimental effects on your health and hence why I say smoking weed is bad.

Furthermore, marijuana is often associated with short term memory loss and neuroscientists are closing in on a mechanistic reason why. Google it

a c

HSC
It might be bad for your lungs, idk, I concur with this author

lit reviews
"The association between marijuana smoking and lung cancer is unclear... Observational studies of subjects with marijuana exposure failed to demonstrate significant associations between marijuana smoking and lung cancer after adjusting for tobacco use."

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/166/13/1359

"We conducted a population-based case-control study of the association between marijuana use and the risk of lung and upper aerodigestive tract cancers in Los Angeles... results suggest that the association of these cancers with marijuana, even long-term or heavy use, is not strong and may be below practically detectable limits."

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/15/10/1829.short

mirakon

nigga
HSC
It might be bad for your lungs, idk, I concur with this author

lit reviews
"The association between marijuana smoking and lung cancer is unclear... Observational studies of subjects with marijuana exposure failed to demonstrate significant associations between marijuana smoking and lung cancer after adjusting for tobacco use."

http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/166/13/1359

"We conducted a population-based case-control study of the association between marijuana use and the risk of lung and upper aerodigestive tract cancers in Los Angeles... results suggest that the association of these cancers with marijuana, even long-term or heavy use, is not strong and may be below practically detectable limits."

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/15/10/1829.short
from what i heard (i don't pretend to be an expert in this btw) but the respiratory problems resulting from smoking marijuana, if there are any, are more attributable to the process of "smoking" rather than the marijuana itself. That is, if you take in marijuana from a method other than smoking it is unlikely you will get respiratory problems.

a c

HSC
There are countless studies showing ketamine, morphine, ethanol, aspirin, warfarin, lasix, GTN, insulin(!), paracetamol, adrenaline, atropine, ibuprofen, midazolam, ondansetron, salbutamol, atrovent, oxygen, water, light, sound, have detrimental effects upon your health.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
There are countless studies showing ketamine, morphine, ethanol, aspirin, warfarin, lasix, GTN, insulin(!), paracetamol, adrenaline, atropine, ibuprofen, midazolam, ondansetron, salbutamol, atrovent, oxygen, water, light, sound, have detrimental effects upon your health.
And similarly, recreational, non-medicinal use of these medications/drugs/chemicals is also detrimental to your health, unnecessary and therefore "bad".

As for oxygen, yeah its bad for your health in excess or if you don't have enough. Similarly water. However unlike the recreational use of marijuana, they are vital for our survival, so the comparison is flawed.

I also suggest you read this

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/evidence99/marijuana/Health_1.html

Last edited:

mirakon

nigga
HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)