is smoking weed bad? (2 Viewers)

boris

Banned
HSC
Fuck that shit, I'm suck of junkie drugged up cunts making my life a hell at work.

Sympathy level zero.

boris

Banned
HSC
The significant positive tetrachoric correlation indicates that adolescent marijuana use is associated with young adult illicit drug use.
Relationship between Adolescent Marijuana Use and Young Adult Illicit Drug Use
Behavior Genetics, Vol. 36, No. 4, July 2006

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
boris said:
Relationship between Adolescent Marijuana Use and Young Adult Illicit Drug Use
Behavior Genetics, Vol. 36, No. 4, July 2006
gateway drug lol?

boris

Banned
HSC
According to recent estimates, crime costs the community $32 billion annually. Of this, $1960 million is directly attributable to drugs, and, if indirect costs were included, the proportion attributable to drugs would be higher.1 Clearly, interventions that target potential risk factors for crime, such as drugs and mental health problems, will have significant payoffs for individuals and the wider community. However, the relationship between drugs and crime is complex. Policy development in this regard needs to take into account the multifaceted nature of the problem.
MJA 2003; 179 (8): 399-400

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
It probably comes down to the individual in regards to the effects it will have on you, but if you know the risks, and you still do it, you're a retard. Maybe nothing will happen to you, but you're taking a big gamble with your own health. I just don't understand why anyone with a brain would do that. Oh wait, all the pot you smoke rotted your brain cells. Silly me.
You sound exactly like all the good young muslims, who are all 'omg, I can't believe you drink alcohol, you'll fuck up your life, drinking is so risky, don't go to schoolies, I had a friend who got drunk on the beach and almost raped'.

You're right of course. It is bad. Definetly will do more harm than benefit to your life. For a young man, taking up a serious daily smoking habit is not putting yourself on the happy path to success and profit. But most of the things I like involve some major risks.

If we lived by statistics, I'm in a much higher risk of physical peril going out on the town on a friday night, that shit will get you killed.

It's a very low risk. Certainly, cannabis as a singular cause is not sufficient to cause mental illness.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">According to recent estimates, crime costs the community $32 billion annually. Of this, $1960 million is directly attributable to drugs, and, if indirect costs were included, the proportion attributable to drugs would be higher.1 Clearly, interventions that target potential risk factors for crime, such as drugs and mental health problems, will have significant payoffs for individuals and the wider community. However, the relationship between drugs and crime is complex. Policy development in this regard needs to take into account the multifaceted nature of the problem. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

If they legalised, marijuana industry is worth many, many billions to the Australian economy. Fuck the sugar, wheat industries, weed blows them away.

The Australian wine industry is often cited as one of the great economic success stories of Australian domestic product, making good returns in exports, domestic sales.
The value of the Australian marijuana industry makes wine look pathetic.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Graney said:
You sound exactly like all the good young muslims, who are all 'omg, I can't believe you drink alcohol, you'll fuck up your life, drinking is so risky, don't go to schoolies, I had a friend who got drunk on the beach and almost raped'.

You're right of course. It is bad. Definetly will do more harm than benefit to your life. For a young man, taking up a serious daily smoking habit is not putting yourself on the happy path to success and profit. But most of the things I like involve some major risks.

If we lived by statistics, I'm in a much higher risk of physical peril going out on the town on a friday night, that shit will get you killed.

It's a very low risk. Certainly, cannabis as a singular cause is not sufficient to cause mental illness.
lol muslims.

do you have any evidence to back up your claim that cannabis as a singular thing won't cause mental illness? certainly not in all cases, of course. but i don't think its impossible that smoking weed (all the time, and a lot of it) could directly result in mental damage.

its probably relatively harmless if you do it like, twice a year and only a tiny bit. i'm just yet to see anybody who hasn't noticeably changed in some way from using it. i can pick my pot smoking friends a mile off. i don't like what its done to their personalities. i'm sorry if i'm coming across really harshly on this topic but based on the people i know who have/do use it, and the evidence, however slight, that links pot smoking to mental illness, i honestly think people who use it who are aware of what it might do to you are very stupid.

on another kind of related note, I don't have a problem with drinking alcohol (obviously not to extremes). I've been pretty shamefully drunk more times than i care to remember. the thing is, the effects of alcohol wear off pretty quickly and don't leave you with any lasting damage (remember i am not referring to the minority who drink themselves to death/liver failure)...the people i know of who smoke pot, though, seem to be stoned all the time. And its not always funny. which is another reason i don't like it.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I don't think there's any issue with disliking weed/choosing not to partake. But lecturing people is lame. Chances are, if someone needs to cut back, they'll know it. Whether or not they do anything about it is ultimately entirely upon them.

That said I need to cut down severely! Living in a house with stoners fucks with your perceptions of how much is acceptable to be smoking. (ie: not EVERY SINGLE DAY).

blakegman

HSC
N/A
I just wrote a big comeback to a lot of bad shit said in here about pot but i just cant be fucked.

If you are stupid enoughto label someone a retard for smoking pot, then i think you have pretty much described yourself.

boris

Banned
HSC
blakegman said:
I just wrote a big comeback to a lot of bad shit said in here about pot but i just cant be fucked.

If you are stupid enoughto label someone a retard for smoking pot, then i think you have pretty much described yourself.
Okay retard.

Coz there is nothing retarded about smoking a psychostimulant.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
do you have any evidence to back up your claim that cannabis as a singular thing won't cause mental illness?
I cbf, but look up any research paper anywhere. There is a lot of doubt and contrary research, but at worst "all of the recent research into this issue has found that cannabis is neither necessary nor sufficient to cause schizophrenia by itself" (quote from source below). Cannabis use may help precipitate mental illness in those with a predisposition, and may enhance psychotic symptoms.

This is a pretty good summary of current research, explaining why it has been hard to prove any link whatsoever-
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_health3.shtml

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
the effects of alcohol wear off pretty quickly and don't leave you with any lasting damage? (remember i am not referring to the minority who drink themselves to death/liver failure)?
Are you serious?

I'm betting you will know people with serious alcohol abuse problems in your lifetime. It's pretty easy to get hooked.

I'm not even going to go on about how alcohol causes way more social harm than all the addictive drugs, and weed is pretty much nill, goes without saying.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
...the people i know of who smoke pot, though, seem to be stoned all the time. And its not always funny. which is another reason i don't like it.
Slidey made a lot of good points.

It's more to do with the culture. Smoking weed, you naturally mix with a lot of weird and ugly kids, you put yourself out there in uncomfortable situations etc... Mixing with drug people is a pretty challenging experience.
Also, the people who are inclined to smoke weed probablly had a different attitude and outlook in the first place. I haven't smoked weed in 6 months. In the scale of things I've really smoked very little, but people like yourself assume I must get wasted all the time but I'm so laid back and pretty apathetic.
It's not the drugs, I just never gave a shit either way. Weed attracts the apathetic, more than creates them.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
okay, okay. fine. we're not going to agree about it. let's just leave it. the thread was asking whether pot is bad for you. i think it is. it's affects in comparison to other drugs was never meant to be the topic under discussion but everyone turned it around that way and suddenly i look like the retard for insisting, affects of alcohol and cigarettes and whatever else you want to compare it to aside, that smoking pot is not good for you. fine, whatever. ordinarily i would try to look objectively at my feelings towards the topic, but i honestly can't this time. my opinion about it hasn't changed. so i guess there's no point arguing further.

p.s i'm not assuming all pot smokers get wasted all the time. i was just observing the people i know. your own behaviour is no concern of mine.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Oh, I strongly agree it's bad. It may have negative impacts on many aspects of your life, social, academic etc... Definetly not appropriate for everyone.

If that's all this thread is supposed to be about, then there's no real debate is there?
But naturally this thread goes far beyond that, into all aspects of discussion including legalisation.
Naturally comparisons with the other legal drugs come up, and the huge hypocrisy of the current prohibition.

How can we discuss the question "is smoking weed bad", without relative comparison to other potential options and life choices? Good and bad is a relative thing, and I don't think in this case we can easily put it into the "absolute evil" category, any more than alcohol and ciggarettes.
I think for moral consistency if you're opposed to legalisation of marijuana you should oppose legalisation of all drugs.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Graney said:
Oh, I strongly agree it's bad. It may have negative impacts on many aspects of your life, social, academic etc... Definetly not appropriate for everyone.

If that's all this thread is supposed to be about, then there's no real debate is there?
But naturally this thread goes far beyond that, into all aspects of discussion including legalisation.
Naturally comparisons with the other legal drugs come up, and the huge hypocrisy of the current prohibition.

How can we discuss the question "is smoking weed bad", without relative comparison to other potential options and life choices? Good and bad is a relative thing, and I don't think in this case we can easily put it into the "absolute evil" category, any more than alcohol and ciggarettes.
I think for moral consistency if you're opposed to legalisation of marijuana you should oppose legalisation of all drugs.
you make a fair point. i know i'm not being very morally consistent and i apologise for that, and i also know that i've probably been wrong or ill-informed about some aspects of the argument (again, sorry). i really just had an issue with people who jumped down my throat with "oh but alcohol bla bla bla", as if the fact that there are other unhealthy drugs out there makes any argument against a specific one void. of course comparisons are going to arise, which is fair enough, it just seems to me like some people are leaning on those comparisons to try and justify their marijuana use or accuse me of being overly narrow minded, which is a little stupid...i mean, i might not have made a great judgement about the effects of pot on your mental health, but the fact that it'll give you lung cancer regardless still stands. i'm not a complete retard. the only thing i have to go on here is the people i know that use it and what it appears to do to them. i'm not a scientist or a doctor. but i don't need to be either to figure out that if it came down to a choice between alcohol and pot, i'd choose the former. i don't drink that much.

anyway. maybe it's just a case of everything in moderation. i don't know.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
How will it give you lung cancer if you eat it ?

Edit: nevermind, thread title just pwned me.

Che08

HSC
So lets take a vote.. We all reckon smoking weed is bad (imo because of the tobacco and nicotine and shit people put in there too)
But EATING weed is okay?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I mean, i might not have made a great judgement about the effects of pot on your mental health, but the fact that it'll give you lung cancer regardless still stands.
Nah, you do have a point about mental health, but you're way off on cannabis and lung cancer.

In consistent testing, there is little doubt there is absolutely no link between cannabis and lung cancer. Only users who spin their weed with tobacco have problems.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
but i don't need to be either to figure out that if it came down to a choice between alcohol and pot, i'd choose the former.
If you're worried about cancer, the latest research is suggesting as little as 1 or 2 drinks a day may raise your risk of bowel cancer by up to 10%. 2-4% of all cancer cases are caused by alcohol. You don't need to drink much to put yourself at risk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)