Is Standard English an atar killer? (1 Viewer)

JWNH48

HSC
I'm doing standard english, and im really worried coz people keep saying that it is an atar killer...i don't understand why can't people get a band 6 for standard english?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Yes, the aligning is horrible. Try and find the raw marks database and see for yourself.

Aysce

HSC
What are you aiming for OP?

I was in the same situation and ended up alright in the end.

JWNH48

HSC
I'm aiming for a 95 atar (At least 85), i dun get why people cannot get a band 6 for standard english?! what mark do I have to achieve in order to avoid the scaling down thing?

enoilgam

HSC
The nature of standard makes it extremely difficult to get a band 6 and even a band 5 , plus it isnt that much easier than advanced. I would avoid standard if possible.

iBibah

HSC
I'm aiming for a 95 atar (At least 85), i dun get why people cannot get a band 6 for standard english?! what mark do I have to achieve in order to avoid the scaling down thing?
You can get a band 6, but it's extremely difficult. If you do hit the band 6, scaling won't effect you too much.

JWNH48

HSC
i still don't get it, isn't the marking criteria the same as advanced? are the markers biased or something?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd also take into account that the students which usually do Standard English aren't as gifted overall as those which do Advanced so they struggle to meet the quality demanded for the higher bands.

iBibah

HSC
I'd also take into account that the students which usually do Standard English aren't as gifted overall as those which do Advanced so they struggle to meet the quality demanded for the higher bands.
And these students don't perform well in their other subjects, which determines scaling.

JWNH48

HSC
oh okay so if i get say a band 5 in standard english and do well in other subjects i won't be affected that much :) thanks guys

eileend

HSC
yes, it pulled my atar down by ALOT (got a band 4.)

but I still managed to get a 85 atar (did x1 maths, maths, chem, phy, chinese cont)

S1MZ8

HSC
I did standard english (got band 5) along with 'low scaling subjects', ancient history, biology, and still got a 94.5 Atar. But, a band 5 is a MUST in standard. Band 4 or less will drastically lower your chances of scoring a high Atar....

Render777

HSC
N/A
I did standard english (got band 5) along with 'low scaling subjects', ancient history, biology, and still got a 94.5 Atar. But, a band 5 is a MUST in standard. Band 4 or less will drastically lower your chances of scoring a high Atar....

Sorry to bother you but could you please tell me your raw marks for the subjects? and school rank? and rank in class

Kingportable

HSC
The thing is for 2unit subjects there is a turn over mark where a 90 in english pretty much like a 90 in chemistry and scaling powers are much lower. If you top the state in something its like topping the state in something else for 2 unit subjects because that means you have higher priority than everyone who took that course and all units are considered the same in that way.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
^^^^

you ONLY got a 94.5 ATAR though.

I would've gotten 96+ (I did worse than expected in my other subjects) if I didn't do standard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)