Is standard english THAT bad? (1 Viewer)

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
The biggest thing why STANDARD sucks is because of its aligning.

But another minor factor is because usually the "weaker" people go to it, but not all the time as there are also very good standard students that I know off who have the potential to do well in Advanced English but SOMEHOW decided to do Standard.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
The biggest thing why STANDARD sucks is because of its aligning.

But another minor factor is because usually the "weaker" people go to it, but not all the time as there are also very good standard students that I know off who have the potential to do well in Advanced English but SOMEHOW decided to do Standard.
I was in this case for choosing Standard and Advanced, it was a huge regret doing Standard English due to its poor aligning. With the amount of effort and time I invested, it probably could have gotten me around 90 for Advanced English, but that being said, the competition was very immense in Advanced English so one reason why people choose to do Standard also is that the ranks are very easy to achieve and as you said lots of weaker students. 1st or 2nd in Standard English would probably equate to around a strong Advanced student but not a top one (Someone way above the middle) probs.

Also, to the poster above. I was able to get higher than the girl who was internally first in my school, I think it works out if you smash the external exam by a quite large gap. For example, you get around 90 and the person gets around 80 for the exam. The girl coming 1st had an internal mark about 1 mark higher than me also.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm sitting on 94% for standard english with only the trial and hsc to go .. I'm ranked 2nd internally at a school ranked 114th, however were top 20 for standard last year .. Large cohort too with approx 200 in the course .. Could I state rank granted I do well externally? I.e match my internal marks..
94% is irrelevant at this rate. Only the ranks really matter to be honest. I knew my friend who had an internal mark of 90% (His school marked too easy and was very lenient) and ended up with around 77 for English.

If the gap isn't too bag with the person coming first and you smash the external mark by a mile with the person, most likely you will achieve a higher mark. That being said, a state rank is more then possible regardless of your internal mark.

I was ranked 2nd as said and I got a much higher mark then the girl who came 1st for English. She got a mark of 87 and I got around 89.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Although, the content for Standard English was quite rubbish if you compare it to what the Advanced Kids were studying.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Standard should be avoided at all costs - especially if you want to do well...if you wanna go to TAFE then by all means, go do standard.

ExcelHSC

HSC
Standard should be avoided at all costs - especially if you want to do well...if you wanna go to TAFE then by all means, go do standard.
That's a tad bit harsh.
People who do standard can still get a great ATAR.

seanieg89

HSC
I did standard and didn't end up in TAFE.

ExcelHSC

HSC
I didn't say you can't do well if you picked standard, I'm just saying, if you wanna do well - pick advanced.
Some people may not have the capabilities to do advanced.
Also in other schools, to get into advanced is quite difficult.

seanieg89

HSC
Mathematics Extension 2: 99 (10th)
Mathematics Extension 1: 99
HSC 2007:
UAI 98.8

Yeah, with those marks, I would've expected 99+ but standard pulled you down, am i right? :p
Well it was my lowest mark but I got what wanted and have no regrets. Standard doesn't hold you back unless you are aiming for a VERY high atar.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well it was my lowest mark but I got what wanted and have no regrets. Standard doesn't hold you back unless you are aiming for a VERY high atar.
It's rare for people to be able to get 99 in MX1 and MX2 - doing standard is a lot more difficult to score high ATARs than advanced.

enoilgam

HSC
Some people may not have the capabilities to do advanced.
Also in other schools, to get into advanced is quite difficult.
There isnt much of a difference in difficulty between advanced and standard anyways. The texts are more difficult, but other than that its pretty much on par with advanced. Many people assume that the gap between standard and advanced is akin to the difference between general maths and 2 unit. But really the gap is marginal. Obviously, some people do well with standard (a member called ninetypercent got a high 99 with standard, but he state ranked in the subject) but these people are in the minority.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
There isnt much of a difference in difficulty between advanced and standard anyways. The texts are more difficult, but other than that its pretty much on par with advanced. Many people assume that the gap between standard and advanced is akin to the difference between general maths and 2 unit. But really the gap is marginal. Obviously, some people do well with standard (a member called ninetypercent got a high 99 with standard, but he state ranked in the subject) but these people are in the minority.
I agree with everything you said. The workload is the same for Advanced and Standard, 3 module texts and also Paper 1 being common. I think the texts really depend on person, but yeah shouldn't be that much off difficult y in comparison to Advanced. Standard English can be very advantageous if you're aiming for a high ATAR, much easier to obtain higher rankings and also way less competitive than Advanced.

I purchased some of Ninety's english notes and they were on par with high band 6 Advanced kids, also I saw her essay in the 2011 Board of Studies Standard English exemplary book where they publish the top essays for each year. But yeah, it's very rare to see those type of people in the Standard cohort.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
I find it quite ironic coming from a student who hasn't even completed their HSC yet.

TheBloop

HSC
Look, I did Standard for my HSC and if I could go back and change it I probably wouldn't purely because they teacher was marking me down because he hated me, but if there was a different teacher and my school wasn't so shit yes I would have done Advanced, it would've not hindered my ATAR as much, as for my exam I scored high enough so that scaling was hardly effective, but then since the highest weighted task was on my least-liked topic, my internal mark dragged me into the low 80s where the scaling is considerable different for Advanced and Standard and this brought me down just below a 95 ATAR effectively ending all hopes I had of getting into the course I wanted.

So yeah, Advanced unless you have circumstances in which your teacher is actually fucking horrible and has a vendetta towards you because you don't eat up his bull shit like it's genius food.

doormatt2012

HSC
I suppose if it depends on how good you are in English and how interested you are in English. I'm in Year 12 Standard English, and even though I do alright in the subject, I personally do not like English at all. I'd even go as far as saying that if somewhere during this year English becomes non-compulsory, I'd go sign out of the course immediately, but it's unlikely that it would happen soon (although when I enter politics, that might change haha lol jks :p). :rage: Standard English is rather similar to Advanced, but the latter focuses more in depth in the topic, includes Shakespeare and doesn't get as much privileges as Standard does. I'd say, if you are happy with the subject, stick with it, and if you are good at the subject, stick with it. English mightn't be on everyone's tastes, like me for instance who opted for the easy subject, if you are good at or happy with Standard English, go with it, and I'm happier with Standard English than Advanced. :biglaugh:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
tell me if you feel that way after you get your atar or hsc marks

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I find it quite ironic coming from a student who hasn't even completed their HSC yet.
I don't see the relevance. Standard English clearly aligns poorly where 91 is a state rank and has similar course structure.

If you have a look, the vast majority that achieve 95+ ATARs did Advanced as opposed to Standard. The max ATAR also shows this being around 99.6 for a Standard student.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)