• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is the customer always right? (3 Viewers)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you believe the customer always right?

For the most part, u have 2 do wat they say, but sometimes i dont.

e.g. at Woolworths Liquor sometimes specials get accidentally left on, and customers always bitch about getting it free/special price, and i'm like "uh, no, sorry, that policy doesnt apply in here" and they get all huffy...or when mums try buy alcohol for their kids - "im right! i've spoken 2 police about it! i'm allowed to buy alcohol for them" and again i just say "no, sorry, your not allowed to do so, and i am refusing service"

on a brief non-sequiter, i love refusing service because i never get over-ruled, our managers always back us up.

hatty

Banned
firstly, its ur fault for leaving the special tags on. take em off when they need to be taken off and u will have no troubles. the customers are right to be pissed at you, if i walked into the store and the price said $5, and it turns out i gotta pay $10 because some poofter didnt take the tag off, i would be pissed.

secondly, if the mother is over 18, which i would hope so, then just sell the bitch the stuff. if u later get in trouble for it (which u wont), say u were selling it to the woman, not the kid. its really not that hard. dont make ur job harder then it is. if the kid walked in on his own and asked for the beer, then u would refuse service, but if the mother is there, just sell it.

in conclusion. hatty is always right.

elisabeth

HSC
I gotta agree with Hatty here... although the mother is a bit of a dickwank going around proclaiming she's buying the booze for her kids.

Maybe those weren't the best examples. I definately don't agree with the statement though, I have too many examples of how stupid some customers can be.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i personally think they shuld get the special price, but they dont have 2 make a song and dance about it when they dont...but probably bad example

and as for secondary purchase, i only refuse service when it's painfully obvious they're buying for underage (e.g. u hear the mum saying loudly WHAT DO YOU WANT, or the kid brings up the alcohol), i aint risking a $5,500 fine for sum person i dont even know

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
yeah sometimes they have people who come in and are undercover or been paid to purchase alchahol eitehr underage or for someone underage
they can even put up a fight until you sell it to them and it turns out they were undercover..and u get busted
its not worth it

plus i dont think they should buy it for their underage children anyway
but thats coz im totally against alchahol

unfortunately custoemrs are usually always right even if they suck
but thats just to hold a good rep and keep them happy and coming back

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
totally agree about the reputation bit. i'm so sick of people who say they didn't like this or that, or say it wasn't cooked to their liking and expect that we don't charge them for it. sometimes i wonder if customers actually put their own hair in their food [deliberately or unintenionally], especially since we usually tie our hair up. but, small businesses, what can you do.

Last edited:

steffo

steph
HSC
customers are never right.
its just a mindframe we're supposed to be in so they come back to our stores and spend more money on us, so we get paid.
customers are awful and i hate their guts.

HSC
I hate customers, I hate people, I'm a very sullen person because of working at McDonald's.

I mean, McDonald's, everyone knows pretty much what to expect and if not, we have BIG, CLEAR boards with meal deals and shit on it. ALL YOU GOTTA DO IT LOOK AT THE BOARDS TO CHECK PRICES.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
yeah i just think of the money and think to myself..
haha ur a bitch customer..and what u just spent on ur shopping..i get that in my next pay

also..we generalise alot..when we say customers suck and they are awful and we hate them

5% arent so bad...and i am a customer more then i am a worker
and i dont suck..im the nicest customer
but thats just i know what it feels like..

ace

is retired
HSC
townie said:
For the most part, u have 2 do wat they say, but sometimes i dont.
If you know they are wrong, and have the courage to stand up to them. (Assuming you won't get fired, but anyhow, if you give in, you could be fired for another reason then)

townie said:
e.g. at Woolworths Liquor sometimes specials get accidentally left on, and customers always bitch about getting it free/special price, and i'm like "uh, no, sorry, that policy doesnt apply in here" and they get all huffy...or when mums try buy alcohol for their kids - "im right! i've spoken 2 police about it! i'm allowed to buy alcohol for them" and again i just say "no, sorry, your not allowed to do so, and i am refusing service"
The specials, unless they have a date showing expiry on the sticker, then I say pay up. I hate false advertisement.

For the liquor buying one, take her details down, report to police/social services. You know you'll get a warm feeling, breaking apart that family. :D

All in all, I stand with my previous post, NEVER believe the customer is right. EVER!. It's a matter of principle.

Last edited:

jang

is not my real name
HSC
hatty said:
firstly, its ur fault for leaving the special tags on. take em off when they need to be taken off and u will have no troubles. the customers are right to be pissed at you, if i walked into the store and the price said $5, and it turns out i gotta pay $10 because some poofter didnt take the tag off, i would be pissed.

secondly, if the mother is over 18, which i would hope so, then just sell the bitch the stuff. if u later get in trouble for it (which u wont), say u were selling it to the woman, not the kid. its really not that hard. dont make ur job harder then it is. if the kid walked in on his own and asked for the beer, then u would refuse service, but if the mother is there, just sell it.

in conclusion. hatty is always right.
word

liquor shop faggots piss me off so much sometimes...
when 4 guys got ID and one dont, they bitch bout the one that's sittin in the car
then we just drive to another liquor shop.. but still they're faggots

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
thats the only thing holding me back from becomming supervisor..i dont wanna deal wif customers on a bigger level..and have to take their complaints and bullshit

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
rofl thats a good one!
why did she get fired?
im alrite with customers.. i always get the ones who go 'no thats 3 for $4' and i calmly go.. yes i need to scan all three of them on for it to take off the discount. or if it was the wrong price i just show them that they read the wrong label and they mumble something about us not labelling things properly then leave.
im hoping to be a supervisor to learn how to deal with angry people, good practice for the future.. as well as a number of other things

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
elisabeth said:
I gotta agree with Hatty here... although the mother is a bit of a dickwank going around proclaiming she's buying the booze for her kids.
legally they are not allowed to

i also think they should get the sale price and then take the old sign off

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
That rule about demanding ID from everyone is fair enough, but you'd have to be a complete cock to not sell booze to someone just because their kids are with them. When I was 15 - 17, mum bought me some and nobody ever asked for ID... but when I was really little the blokes who owned our local bottlo always had red frogs for us. Always like the bottlo ;)

As for the customer always being right, yeah, No. I think I know a bit more about how my company works than someone who has been in the shop for 10 minutes. Mind you, you get some really nice people too. But then, at the airport you get complete fuckwits i.e. Indians (the uppity ones from India that don't work but are rich as fuck) that want discounts on everything, Americas who try to put on Australian accents (I just don't like em really), White South Africans and Snobbish Australians/Brits/French who treat you like you're something they steped in, and Asians who jump on top of everyone, refuse to wait in line, can't speak english, hit you and yell at you and all they can say is "Chungwa".

Sometimes, you meet a nice Kiwi, or Canadian or Scot. If your lucky....... ;) Kiwis are usually really nice, Canadians are decent too, British/Scottish/Irish backpapers are always funny, love talking to them ;)

But yes, at the airport, the only nationality I can say is really nice as a whole is New Zealanders. Really wanna visit NZ now ;)

One of the girls at Action got fired and was told she had to leave after her shift. Anyway, it got busy and since our store isn't very well planned, the queses were huge when this arrogant, expensively-dressed guy pushed forwards and said "I'm in a hurry, I have to be served, and I have to be served right now." So anyway, the soon-to-be-unemployed girl says sorry, she can't inconvenience others and says no. So arrogant guy says "Look, do you know who I am?!" Without missing a heartbeat, the cashier jumps on the PA and announces "Attention, customers, we have a gentleman here who does not know who he is. If anyone can help him, could you please come to Register 3." So arrogant guy says "F*** YOU!" and she says "Sorry sir, but you'll have to get in line for that too."
Thats bloody pure gold, LOL. Gotta remember that one ;)

Last edited:

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Customers can be a pain, but at the end of the day it all is cool. I think u are right to say they cannot buy alcohol or whatever. The other day i ahd girls signing credit card slip on dad's behalf :| i didnt let them and got my manager to tell them its FRAUD/ILLEGAL :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)