Is The NSW HSC Too Easy? (1 Viewer)

Do You Think The New South Wales Higher School Certificate System Is Too Easy?

• Yes

Votes: 44 19.8%
  • No

Votes: 178 80.2%

• Total voters

s0k0y0e0

HSC
I don't know what the old HSC was like --> but I don't particuarly think that the HSC at the moment is so easy that I can get 100%! You need to work to get the results you want! :uhhuh:

Will Hunting

HSC
Yeah, absolutely! And with all the standards and benchmarks and criteria and stuff, it can be really hard to "plan" to get a certain kind of result, 'cause there are so many other factors involved. I've always thought it hard to pigeonhole people on so large a scale the way the Board of Studies does. With the syllabus content, the exam papers and even the panel of markers brimming with personal and, often unintentiaonal, biases, it's entirely possible to get results you don't deserve. But, on the other hand, it's best not to let these things get to you and it's much better to just roll with it and have as much fun with it all as you can. Generally speaking, if you do these things, and you do them well, you can only be happy with your result, no matter what it turns out to be :)

richz

The NSW HSC is not easy... Like for example in engineering studies. For q11 where u have to talk about societal and all the bs. U cant really study for that becuz they can practically put in any question there. :(

A l

HSC
N/A
Did anyone see that documentary on A Current Affairs on Channel 9 today about our Higher School Certificate standards setting system? (02/05/05) [By the way, James King AKA 'Lazarus' was featured in that]
A pass was the equivalent to a fail because the standards they were based on were so easy to match. A 64 word response was enough to gain a minimum expected standard in English (Advanced).

Apparently, the Board of Studies has been criticised for making a fail raw mark equivalent to a pass aligned mark and have also been criticised for making raw school assessment marks moderated to such high marks, for example, I recall the documentary saying that a raw assessment mark of 7 was moderated to a staggering 52 or something similar to that.

As a result those who failed in terms in raw marks and were awarded a pass in terms of aligned marks got into workplaces with their Higher School Certificate as enough evidence to show that they were properly educated. An employer stated that some of them were unable to do simple Mathematical algorithms and others were unable to use fundamental skills in English to comprehend written material or compose their own using correct grammar and punctuation. He also thinks that our Higher School Certificate system and our education system "stinks".

What are your comments on these? Do you think our Higher School Certificate standards should be raised? Is our education system failing?

Mandy101

HSC
The HSC is fine just the way it is! It's not exactly a walk in the park - it's bloody hard work and perseverance.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I think the HSC is pretty easy if u wanna get say 80 or something or just do ok but to go fabulously in the HSC it's pretty hard.

And in comparison the the rest of the world i used to think the hsc was pretty easy but i was talking to one of my American friends and he thought the concept of the hsc was harder in a way because we have major works etc etc. So i suppose its just about what we are used to or not used to.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
If you're trying to clamber around the upper UAI ranges where students put a lot of effort in, the HSC can be quite tough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)