Is the raw marks db accurate? (1 Viewer)

lebomatic

HSC
It seems the only way I have a chance to get the atar I need is for the raw db to be correct since all my raw marks are not extremely high. Is there any way they may not be right?

madharris

HSC
N/A
the database is based on the aligning from previous years.
So technically it's not right, however it gives you an approximation of what you will need in order to obtain a certain mark

enoilgam

HSC
the database is based on the aligning from previous years.
So technically it's not right, however it gives you an approximation of what you will need in order to obtain a certain mark
This pretty much. Aligning can fluctuate quite a bit from year to year, so it should be taken with a grain of salt and be used as a general guide only.

ncoul

HSC
I'd say that the db marks could be used as a genuine guide, but I'd have larger reservations as to how people think they could achieve those marks. As speculated often on this forum, the marking criteria of the HSC markers is largely more stringent and rigorous than your school's marking trends and I wouldn't expect to achieve the same marks.

pHyRe

HSC
even top 10 schools, ncoul?

i hear a lot of markers come from top 10 schools and private schools, i find it hard to believe they would mark differently from one to the other. in fact, other teachers would attempt to discuss with them and mark like them i reckon.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
even top 10 schools, ncoul?

i hear a lot of markers come from top 10 schools and private schools, i find it hard to believe they would mark differently from one to the other. in fact, other teachers would attempt to discuss with them and mark like them i reckon.
Markers come from any school, whether they are ranked at the bottom or the top.

Honestly, its just that in class, so many students appeal for extra marks or ask the teacher for nice marking. Some teachers do it as an encouragement to tell the student that they should keep up their effort. That's why in class the marks don't really matter.

In marking, especially the sciences, you can be harshly marked.

In Chemistry or Physics, sometimes you would lose a mark for just using the wrong word in your answer.

pHyRe

HSC
dont go to a selective school but like, looking at marking guidelines for chem prehsc. they looked pretty fair to me. so i don't really get what the whole fuss is about to be honest. and the raw marks seem to line up with my school's performance in trials and previous year's hsc marks.

maybe i'll find out in a few days when i get like 86 in chem lol

Spiritual Bean

The only
HSC
The relative easiness of the HSC was seriously exaggerated on this forum. I felt that every exam was easy and I didn't have any major curveballs, but still, lots of people found them difficult.

I just felt that it needed to be said since everyone on here thinks that the band six cut off for subjects will be unusually high.

I'd say that the db marks could be used as a genuine guide, but I'd have larger reservations as to how people think they could achieve those marks. As speculated often on this forum, the marking criteria of the HSC markers is largely more stringent and rigorous than your school's marking trends and I wouldn't expect to achieve the same marks.
This too.

Thankfully, the majority of departments in my school have draconian marking. Lots of kids sent me their essays from other schools, and although they're good, they wouldn't get a 24/25 at my school, more like 18-20.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
dont go to a selective school but like, looking at marking guidelines for chem prehsc. they looked pretty fair to me. so i don't really get what the whole fuss is about to be honest.
When you receive your paper back after buying it and notice you were given 0/3 for a calculation you got 100% correct, but were given the 0 for having too many words in your answer, then you will understand HSC science marking.

pHyRe

HSC
that doesnt happen.

they have to give 3/3 if the answer is correct im pretty sure. but you can't get 1/3 or 2/3 if it's wrong. so showing working is essential.

how do you buy your marks btw, i might do that out of curiosity if its not too expensive.

RealiseNothing

HSC
that doesnt happen.

they have to give 3/3 if the answer is correct im pretty sure. but you can't get 1/3 or 2/3 if it's wrong. so showing working is essential.

how do you buy your marks btw, i might do that out of curiosity if its not too expensive.
No it can happen, happened to TWO members on here last year. A correct answer doesn't guarantee full (or any) marks.

They had working out, they lost the marks for being too "wordy" when dealing with a calculation. i.e. instead of just using the symbol 'n' for moles, they said "the moles of sodium is: ...", they did this for every step of the calculation and were given 0.

People don't realise it's not just about having the correct answer, but showing it using the correct technique. It's just like how you have to use a ruler and pencil for diagrams. For calculations you have to format it how a calculation should be written out, that includes not having sentences explaining every single detail.

Last edited:

pHyRe

HSC
No it can happen, happened to TWO members on here last year. A correct answer doesn't guarantee full (or any) marks.

They had working out, they lost the marks for being too "wordy" when dealing with a calculation. i.e. instead of just using the symbol 'n' for moles, they said "the moles of sodium is: ...", they did this for every step of the calculation and were given 0.

People don't realise it's not just about having the correct answer, but showing it using the correct technique. It's just like how you have to use a ruler and pencil for diagrams. For calculations you have to format it how a calculation should be written out, that includes not having sentences explaining every single detail.
wtf?

thats ridiculous....did these people by their exam scripts??

RealiseNothing

HSC
wtf?

thats ridiculous....did these people by their exam scripts??
Yep they bought them back. I'll find the thread where the guy somewhat complains. I've seen the exam he bought back and can vouch it happened.

It may be put down to dodgy marking, but that just shows it can happen to anyone.

Edit: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=298166

Go to his chemistry short answer comment. Once BOS released the answers we confirmed he got the calculation right.

pHyRe

HSC
Yep they bought them back. I'll find the thread where the guy somewhat complains. I've seen the exam he bought back and can vouch it happened.

It may be put down to dodgy marking, but that just shows it can happen to anyone.

Edit: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=298166

Go to his chemistry short answer comment. Once BOS released the answers we confirmed he got the calculation right.
he shoulda complained. that's what i woulda done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)