Is there a minimum GPA you need to graduate? (1 Viewer)

cxlxoxk

HSC
I don't know, and can't find anything on the website.

Is it like 2?

X

xeuyrawp

I don't know, and can't find anything on the website.

Is it like 2?
I don't think so? Look through the handbook rules for your degree (bachelors, I assume). There are some random rules out there, eg 'you must finish the degree by x', but I don't remember a GPA one.

Monstar

HSC
Pwar, do they grade your degree? like graduated with distinction or something?

X

xeuyrawp

Pwar, do they grade your degree? like graduated with distinction or something?
No - you either get a 'pass degree' (eg BA, BCom, BSci) or a degree 'with honours' (eg BA(Hons)) of a certain class (1, 2:1, 2:2, 3).

Degrees with distinction are what they do in the UK, I think.

Edit:
dolbinau said:
Well I guess you'd need to pass as a minimum :p?
Nope, you can have a GPA of <2 and still get your degree. You just need to fulfill the requirements set out in the relevant listing of your degree in the handbook, as well as the rules set out for your degree type (eg bachelors, masters, etc) in the handbook.

Remember that you can repeat subjects, so if someone got only passes and fails, they'd have a GPA of <2.

Like I said, I'm not 100% sure because I've never looked through the handbook for this, but I doubt it's there. The only rule that trips people up is the minimum rate of progress in the Certificate and Diplomas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doomah

HSC
you can end up with a GPA of 1.5 and finish a 3 years bachelor degree in 8 years for all they care.

so long as you dont have 3 fails in the same subject, you can keep failing, they still rake in thier hecs fees.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
No - you either get a 'pass degree' (eg BA, BCom, BSci) or a degree 'with honours' (eg BA(Hons)) of a certain class (1, 2:1, 2:2, 3).

Degrees with distinction are what they do in the UK, I think.
It does happen in Australia, but it is rare. My sister and her friend graduated with distinction (top 2% of cohort I think?), before they started honours. This was not at MQ though, although she does attend there now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)