Is there such thing as an "appropriate" hairstyle/haircut for school? (1 Viewer)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
I've been told countless times by my parents that i needa get a haircut because it's not "appropriate" for school. Apparently teachers don't like it and your image will be reflected on your reports blah blah. Is this true?

fyi i got an "asian gangster" haircut which is basically long fringe on one side and the other side is shaved

Last edited:

DrWooper

HSC
A certain type of hair style will not effect how teachers think of you. I myself have had many hair cut all different styles and lengths.
As long as you are constantly achieving your best they will think highly of you.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
this tends to be more of an issue at private schools where they specify what kind of hair cut you must have (guys shorter than ears, girls can only wear hair out if it's shorter than shoulders, otherwise must be tied up etc). If you're at a public school, shouldn't be an issue.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
I've been told countless times by my parents that i needa get a haircut because it's not "appropriate" for school. Apparently teachers don't like it and your image will be reflected on your reports blah blah. Is this true?

fyi i got an "asian gangster" haircut which is basically long fringe on one side and the other side is shaved
if ur school doesn't specify rules for your hair, feel free to have it as you see fit :)

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Depends on the school as said by "Blue Suede".
My advice is just to listen to the rules set by your school.

Michelle Lin

HSC
It's a lot on the school rules and on the individual teacher in year 8 I had a different teacher half way through the year and my report marks turned worse.
It was because my front fringe was long and covered my face. The new teacher took it as a sign that I was a delinquent and sleeping in class rather than a sign that I had social anxiety and she would randomly call out things like, "Michelle, do you know the answer to blahblah of course not because you were sleeping in class again!" without allowing me time to reply or defend myself.

There were no rules against my fringe and thinking back on it I could have reported her for bullying a student but appearance does affect people's prejudices unfortunately. If you want to go through school more smoothly then yes change your appearance but if you want to fight for individuality and still get good marks (challenge them if they treat you worse due to your appearance) then f*** them.

On the other hand, some teachers are very cool with individuality. A friend of mine had that sort of Russian fad with half her head shaved with leopard spots and the other long and the teachers all complimented her on it. I also went through a phase where I wore a different wig/hairstyle to school every day and I had a teacher that would anticipate what I would do tomorrow.

TL;DR It depends but really who cares as long as it doesn't affect your report marks? (If it does you can report it and fight it.)

Last edited:
HSC
Ugh. Hairstyle regulations are so fucking stupid. Clearly if I dye my hair an 'inappropriate colour', then I ruin everyone else's education and my grades.

If the school is giving you shit for your hairstyle, don't put up with it. If it gets to the extent where the school is directly attacking you for your appearance, just hulk out on them and pull out the 'discrimination' card.

I know my opinion sounds really pretentious and self-righteous, but years ago a friend of mine committed suicide at my old school, partly because of the fact that the school would scrutinize and berate her due to the fact that she dyed her hair a purple-ish maroon brown, just because she was so self conscious about being a 'ginger with no soul'.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
It depends... come to my rural catholic school and you won't be allowed to have any part of your hair shorter than a number two because it looks 'improper'. You can't dye your hair outside of what is considered the natural colour range (my red-haired friend was asked to change her hair colour because it was too bright. It was her natural colour) and if your a guy your hair must be of a uniform length (ie. no mullets, mohawks or 'asian gangster' hairstyles I guess, not that I've ever even heard of it before). I personally think it's stupid, even though I've never dyed my hair in my life, nor have I attempted an 'alternative' hairstyle. If people want to find some way of expressing themselves while wearing the uniform they are forced to five days a week it seems almost despotic to forbid them from doing so.

tl;dr if you have a really conservative teacher it may annoy them that you look different for some reason.

darkchaos69

HSC
That's not gangsta you big bok choi get the liang zai mullet to be a true pimp

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
I think there should be. I wouldnt want to be associated with some kid with shaved black hair and a footling bleached rat tail because we go to the same school.

In fact, tbh, if being naked in public is considered "indecency" and is illegal, certain hairstyles, clothing, even over the top piercings/ tattoos should be treated the same way. After all, even if you think there should be freedom for people to do whatever, children who go to the city are going to be exposed to that, and who knows what kind of effect seeing someone like that has on a child, probably not a good one.
Kid might be traumatised.

HSC
I think there should be. I wouldnt want to be associated with some kid with shaved black hair and a footling bleached rat tail because we go to the same school.

In fact, tbh, if being naked in public is considered "indecency" and is illegal, certain hairstyles, clothing, even over the top piercings/ tattoos should be treated the same way. After all, even if you think there should be freedom for people to do whatever, children who go to the city are going to be exposed to that, and who knows what kind of effect seeing someone like that has on a child, probably not a good one.
Kid might be traumatised.
So wait, are you saying that it should be illegal for anyone to wear hairstyles, clothing, piercings or tattoos that are "inappropriate"? Yeah, the public exposure of nudity is one thing that should not occur, but the fact that a person isn't allowed to dress or style themselves in an unorthodox way is wrong, and it is a form of discrimination. So what if a girl has a mohawk? or a thousand piercings? It's their choice, their attitude, their way of expressing themselves, and society shouldn't decide how people should be. Diversity is a great thing, and it should be embraced -- the real problem is people who instantly put people into profiles and stereotype them on their looks.

Oh, and I guess this kid might have been really 'traumatised':
tumblr_liq22lQcxE1qcxzfgo1_500.jpg

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
So wait, are you saying that it should be illegal for anyone to wear hairstyles, clothing, piercings or tattoos that are "inappropriate"? Yeah, the public exposure of nudity is one thing that should not occur, but the fact that a person isn't allowed to dress or style themselves in an unorthodox way is wrong, and it is a form of discrimination. So what if a girl has a mohawk? or a thousand piercings? It's their choice, their attitude, their way of expressing themselves, and society shouldn't decide how people should be. Diversity is a great thing, and it should be embraced -- the real problem is people who instantly put people into profiles and stereotype them on their looks.

Oh, and I guess this kid might have been really 'traumatised':
View attachment 27973
Just saying. Some people take it too far, and it's not just traumatising for little kids, I'm scared by some of the stuff I see today.

Its not just piercings, its people intentionally creating facial disformaties with plastic surgery and whatnot.

You can argue freedom and individuality, but where do you draw the line, and why is walking around with your shlong out inappropriate, but putting a brass ring through your nose in public isn't.
Would rather nudity was legal than hanging half a kilo of steel off sensitive looking facial areas. Maybe someone should just walk up to that guy with six rings through his upper lip and.. Pull on them.

Maybe the kid would be traumitazed if, instead of seeing some guy who looks like a fairly typical punk rocker he saw this guy

When I judge someone on their stupid hair, tattoos and piercings, I'm not judging them based on their looks, oh no, if I've learnt one thing from society it's that I can't do that, I'm judging them on their actions, and their stupid decision to cut colour and deform their natural features beyond recognition.

Last edited:
HSC
Just saying. Some people take it too far, and it's not just traumatising for little kids, I'm scared by some of the stuff I see today.

Its not just piercings, its people intentionally creating facial disformaties with plastic surgery and whatnot.

You can argue freedom and individuality, but where do you draw the line, and why is walking around with your shlong out inappropriate, but putting a brass ring through your nose in public isn't.
Would rather nudity was legal than hanging half a kilo of steel off sensitive looking facial areas. Maybe someone should just walk up to that guy with six rings through his upper lip and.. Pull on them.

Maybe the kid would be traumitazed if, instead of seeing some guy who looks like a fairly typical punk rocker he saw this guy

When I judge someone on their stupid hair, tattoos and piercings, I'm not judging them based on their looks, oh no, if I've learnt one thing from society it's that I can't do that, I'm judging them on their actions, and their stupid decision to cut colour and deform their natural features beyond recognition.
[Just letting you know that there aren't any pics in your post that you are referring to....you might want to fix that? :p]

DUDE, that's a bit harsh. IMO your reasoning to do that is alike rapists justifying their crimes by saying that "the victim was asking it by the way they dressed." I just believe that people should be allowed to do things with their own body, no matter how freaking stupid/ridiculous it is, because they are doing it for themselves -- they aren't imposing their appearances or forcing others to look like them! Just my two cents on that :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)