Is this age difference socially acceptable/plausible? (1 Viewer)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Season said:
I don't really follow the age thing rather the life stage idea. If both you roughly same stage in life then you'll work

ie uni students with uni students

senior students with senior students

I think 16 and 20 is a bit iffy, personally if i was the girl I wouldn't give you the time of day, but that's just me, everyone's different
It happens, more than people think.

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
It depends on the individual, really. I know that I won't answer your question if I just tell you to do what you want to do. So, in a nutshell...

No this age difference won't matter as time goes on - into adulthood. You can probably tell already, in the ways which she treats you, whether she's interested...and you said that she seems not to mind.

Go with the flow. It shouldn't be hard 'cos you're good friends already. If you feel that she wants you to make a move, then ask yourself whether you're ready, whether your circumstances - studies, uni, etc etc. Would let you have time and energy for a relationship. The ball's in your court now.

If the feelings are there, who cares about the age difference like 16 and 20. I'm in a interracial relationship! Watch out for sister-brother dangers though...

emanu

HSC
I was 17 when i first met girlfriend of 20. We started going out when i was 18 and she is 21.

It does happen, just go for it.

ellen.louise

HSC
Cykologi_gal said:
If the feelings are there, who cares about the age difference like 16 and 20. I'm in a interracial relationship! Watch out for sister-brother dangers though...
I agree, but... how is an interracial relationship in any way relevant here?

SweetSeasons

HSC
Apollo34 said:
Im a 16yr old male, turning 17 in four months

My little dilemma at the moment is that i like this 20yr old girl, and we've been exchanging interests and hanging out more often for some time now.

Now, what my strategy has been so far was to remain close friends until i turn 17... Than at which time i would ask her out. I would do this then because our age discrepancy would be smaller.
However im getting the feeling that she is expecting me to make a move, and that she isnt bothered by the difference.

At the moment im thinking whether it would be plausible to establish and maintain a relationship with the current age difference? And would it be socially acceptable within the community?

Also would it be wise for me to wait until in 17? Or ask her out now before she asks me out or gets confused with my intentions?

I know its deep and a bigee, but i hope i can get feedback from folks.
PS: Setting is State where 16 is legal age.

Ok.. dude.. personally.. I'm was in a similar situation just reversed.. I'm 20 turning 21 and I had a thing for a 16 turning 17 year old.. I came to the conclusion that it was morally wrong to have feelings for this kid.. cause that's what he is.. a kid. A kid can't provide me with what I want out of a relationship, also would his olds go for it? would i enjoy hanging out with him n his mates? blah blah blah... It's just.. I feel dirty for having had feelings for him.
I know the numbers.. 3/4 years isn't much but people do a lot of growing up between the age of 16/17 and 20/21..

Maybe when he's 21 and I'm 25 something will happen, if chemistry happens again.. but for now he's just one of my best mates.. and I think that's all you and the girl you like should be

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Had a similar thing happen to me. Thought this girl was great (15) but I couldn't make it seem right in my(18) head. But one of my friends had another situation like me (him 18, her 16) and he felt wrong about it. I said "You can only really do what you feel right doing. Can't do it if it feels wrong". And I believe that if it feels right/fine for both of you then age shouldn't be an issue

Affinity

HSC
nichhhole said:
hmm..
ive also heard that [age/2]+7 rule...[would u happen to be associated with my math tutors? haha :)]
i'm with iamsickofyear12... well kinda? as a girl.. i wouldnt go outwith a guy younger than me.. [and i find those who do.. kinda weird..] [haha its this 'social conditioning' that you speakk of..]
I'm young for my grade and i'm still iffy about boys who are older than me and in the year below me...
i dont see why older girls would bother with younger guys.. [ie age differences of >1yr..] theres already supposedly a 2 yr difference in the maturity and mentality between a male and female of the same age....

[unless of course they only want one thing ;p hahha... but still? wouldnt they prefer older, presumably more experienced guys?]

i find this view is shared by quite a number of the girls in my grade...
Fortunately for the society not every girl thinks like you :D

Affinity

HSC
4 years seems fine to me... The whole problem of age is the distance in mentality, maturity, experiences, interests and taste, so if you have no problems with those, then age is not a problem.

Jess_Levett

HSC
i learned from experience that much older guys (as in 5 yrs older when we were 15 through to 17) who masquerade as friends even though they have serious long term girlfriends can turn out to have undesirable intentions.

basically we really trusted this guy as a good mate and he turned out to put all of us in fucked up situations.

age difference can be fine, like one or two years either way when your teenagers... after that i don't think it really matters much at all. unless its like 263476237 years. that'd be weird.

Legham

HSC
Jess_Levett said:
after that i don't think it really matters much at all. unless its like 263476237 years. that'd be weird.
Yeah, thats what we had the Necrophilia Forum for..

Aimz- Lou.

Depends on maturity and frame of mind for both parties. Forget socially acceptable- you're the only one who can determine what makes you happy.
As for age gaps- my b/f is 28 and I'm 19. We're fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)