Is this justified to lose a mark? (1 Viewer)

sourmilk

HSC
I recently got my biology test back and I did pretty poor, I got around 74%.
However, I lost two marks which I believe shouldn't be??

One of the questions asked to 'tabulate the data of the following experiment'
My table was complete, and the information was correct because the teacher admitted so. However, she said I lost a mark because I didn't draw my table right.

She said I lost a mark because I didn't close the fucking table????? Since when was that a cardinal rule in biology??? I've been drawing tables like that in Maths and other subjects and I don't recall anyone telling me I shouldn't do that. Plus, noone told me it was mandatory that how my fucking table looks like can impend on my potential marks. Wtf.

Another one is where the experiment we were doing was testing bacteria in water, and list a type of safety equipment. I wrote goggles, and said 'to prevent liquids entering eye or touching skin' and she marked me wrong because I wrote liquid instead of water. My friends told me to definitely fight for this mark, which I plan too.

If I gain this mark/s I can range from 75-77% which is pretty good and secure me atleast top 10.

Attachments

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
It's pretty common in HSC Science to lose marks for things like this (not closing tables, or not drawing the lines in ruler, etc.).

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
For HSC science the not closing the table is understandable reason for losing a mark like InteGrand mentioned above.

The second mark is probably worth arguing for I think.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Not worth arguing for the first mark, especially if the question is worth multiple marks.

Second one, sure.

I remember being deducted a mark because my O in SO4 was not big enough or too big or something,

Silky_Smooth

HSC
Not worth arguing for the first mark, especially if the question is worth multiple marks.

Second one, sure.

I remember being deducted a mark because my O in SO4 was not big enough or too big or something,
I lost a mark similar to this, except I placed a cursive 'kick' on the l of a chloride ion. I thought it was stupid, but can't really do anything about it I guess

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I lost a mark similar to this, except I placed a cursive 'kick' on the l of a chloride ion. I thought it was stupid, but can't really do anything about it I guess
Now that really is quite strange (but probably typical of HSC Science).

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Undoubtedly, you might think this is a bit too harsh, but in actual HSC marking, you might really be marked this harshly, so better to get used to it earlier than later. Don't put excessive emphasis on marks, you will enjoy your studying experience much better if you focus on what you can improve on better. Marks is not the end all or be all of everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)