is this plagiarism? (1 Viewer)

Beachtraveller

HSC
If it is not your work (i.e. if you were not the one who analysed the texts and drew out the quotes from the text) then you will have difficulty understanding the context in which the previous student placed their analysis. Therefore, you are limiting your ability to achieve high marks as you will not be able to properly mould the analysis to the question.

The question is thus not if it is plagiarism, but the aptitude you show as a student and your abilities, obviously which are lacking.

Exotic

HSC
I'd say you're risking it because it is plagiarism, but then a lot of people will have the same quotes/examples so you're also safe.

And here's a funny story that my English teacher got told.
A lady is marking HSC creative writing and reads a story and is completely amazed. She passes it on to the next lady marking essays next to her and says "read this story, it's mind blowing". The woman reads the first couple of sentences and says "but this is my story!". The poor student was so unfortunate, they actually copied their marker's story. It's a one in a million case but it is possible to happen. Imagine if the marker has also marked the essay you're copying from. You're screwed then :)

daphantom1

HSC
troll and a half!! .
In a sense yes.

They will be formulated on your own understanding of the course material, theorists etc. So it's not 100% original. However, it is your interpretation of these ideas combined.

What you are suggesting is taking someone else's understanding of the text (in this case your friends) and passing it off as your own interpretation. That is plagiarism.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't be so sure about that...

A lot of people do it.
If everyone is looting a store in riot, that doesn't make it any less illegal. It's still plagiarism, regardless how many people are doing it.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
If everyone is looting a store in riot, that doesn't make it any less illegal. It's still plagiarism, regardless how many people are doing it.
I wasn't saying that it wasn't plagiarism, I was disagreeing with you saying that others don't do it.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
From a Board of Studies FAQ:

Q Is it plagiarism if I copy someone else’s work exactly and claim it is my own work?
A Definitely yes!
Q Is it plagiarism if I change some of the words or the order of sentences in the passage I am copying?
A Yes. You are using someone else’s thoughts and words without acknowledgement.
Q Is it plagiarism if I memorise a story or essay written by someone else, and then reproduce all or parts of it in my English exam?
A Yes. This is plagiarism.
Q Is it plagiarism if someone else proofreads my written work and changes my final draft?
A It is not plagiarism to have someone correct your spelling and grammar. However, if a parent or tutor or anyone else makes major changes to the wording of your draft, the final version is no longer your own work.
Q Is it plagiarism if I get ideas from my reading and research and use them to support and develop my own ideas, but acknowledge the original source in the work I hand in?
A No, this is not plagiarism. You have acknowledged where your ideas came from. It is legitimate to build on ideas from others provided you don’t claim they are your own.
Q Is it plagiarism if I quote from a source and indicate this using quotation marks, footnotes or in other ways, and then acknowledge the source in my text and/or in my bibliography?
A This is not plagiarism. You have taken steps to show you are presenting someone else’s words or ideas.

_deloso

HSC
is it plagiarism if I use quotes and technique from my friend's essay but use another related text using my quotes and ideas/techniques. so I'm kinda like making an essay with his idea and my idea but I'm writing it on the spot during the exam.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
is it plagiarism if I use quotes and technique from my friend's essay but use another related text using my quotes and ideas/techniques. so I'm kinda like making an essay with his idea and my idea but I'm writing it on the spot during the exam.
There's only so many quotes and ideas in a text, so there's always going to be overlap.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yes. Because they're coming from someone else's essay, and not your own analysis.

Will you get caught, unlikely. Is it plagiarism, yes.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If you use material or ideas that are not your own you have to acknowledge the source by referencing it. If you do not, that is plagiarism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)