HSC
N/A
Okay so word on the street is..

the markers know the rank of the person they are marking

this true?

if so, that would be highly unfair and bias

enoilgam

HSC
No, the markers dont know anything about the person they are marking.

HSC
i hope this isnt true but......my teacher is an HSC economics marker and said last year that he marked the papers in bunches according to centre number and then he had a sheet beside him with the student numbers listed down the page according to their rank....then he would put a mark beside each one as he marked

powlmao

Banned
HSC
The markers are prevented from marking their own school. Other then that, they are given no information about the students they mark.
I thought the marker are prevented from marking there own subject not the school?? and anyway wouldn't it be impossible to do because you have to sort by student numbers

enoilgam

HSC
I thought the marker are prevented from marking there own subject not the school?? and anyway wouldn't it be impossible to do because you have to sort by student numbers
You got to put your "centre number" on top which is the school. I'm pretty sure teachers can mark their own topics. Cem might be able to settle this question as she is a HSC marker.

Last edited:

powlmao

Banned
HSC
You got to put your "centre number" on top which is the school. I'm pretty sure teachers can mark their own topics. Cem might be able to settle the argument as she is a HSC marker.
I don't mind in the end.

But i remember my teacher said that If they teach the subject which is being tested you cannot mark it (My legal studies teacher said that she can't attribute anything to making the exam or marking it because she is teaching it)

Doesn't really bother mee

michaeljennings

HSC
You got to put your "centre number" on top which is the school. I'm pretty sure teachers can mark their own topics. Cem might be able to settle the argument as she is a HSC marker.
Yeah, teachers cannot mark papers from their own school.
And they will be given a section to mark, eg. Mod A for English, or Personalities for history.
Obviously if its a topic they teach they'll have greater knowledge of what they're marking which is a good thing, but they mark all the topics/texts which come under that section.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Yeah, teachers cannot mark papers from their own school.
And they will be given a section to mark, eg. Mod A for English, or Personalities for history.
Obviously if its a topic they teach they'll have greater knowledge of what they're marking which is a good thing, but they mark all the topics/texts which come under that section.
Isn't usually just one question they mark

michaeljennings

HSC
Isn't usually just one question they mark
Depends what subject you're talking about?

But in histories they do a section (out of 4), and in english, they do a certain module (As in one essay). Don't know too much about the other subjects.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
We get a bundle of scripts with a mark sheet. On that mark sheet is the centre number and the student numbers - in numerical order which for most schools will also be alphabetical order but sometimes a student is out of alphabetical order. We are certainly NOT told the school rank of the student.

Preference is given to teachers who are currently HSC teachers of the subject and of course they are put on questions with which they are familiar e.g. I mark personalities (or have done for the last 8 or so years) and I also start on Speer and Leni because I teach Leni and Germany but I may also be asked to mark some of the smaller done personalities, with appropriate briefing of course.

We are not allowed to mark our own school and this is done by not being allowed to mark the centre number that corresponds to our school and we are also asked to nominate if we have a close family relative sitting the exam at another school and we aren't allowed to mark that school either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)