• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

is time travel possible?(not including twins paradox) (1 Viewer)

Vindictus

HSC
Isn't it like this..

Like travels totally indifferent to time. In light's plane of reference, time is undefined.

In addition, as you approach the speed of light, time slows down until it becomes undefined (the speed of light).

Disregarding mass dilation and everything, if we were to somehow go faster than light, we could theoretically go back in time. Since going faster than this is impossible (from what we know), isn't it also impossible to travel BACK in time?

Travelling into the 'future' is possible, by accelerating to near the speed of light, and then slowing back down, and due to the slowing down of time, everyone not in your frame of reference will have aged faster than you. Thus, the future.

So technically, we can't see 'time travel tourists', because you (again, theoretically) cannot go back in time.

But yes, time travel is possible, but only into the future (at this stage).

..Right?

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
If you think in terms of the Physics syllabus then as distance and time can vary time travel can occur.
Now consider this:
-the speed of light changes with different mediumds e.g. slows down in denser mediums like water.
- The speed of light varies with changes in gravity

Thus, in the equation c=distance x time all three can be changed depending on the conditions, facilitating possible time travel.

Last edited:

00iCon

HSC
If you think in terms of the Physics syllabus then as distance and time can vary time travel can occur.
Now consider this:
-the speed of light changes with different mediumds e.g. slows down in denser mediums like water.
- The speed of light varies with changes in gravity

Thus, in the equation c=distance x time all three can be changed depending on the conditions, facilitating possible time travel.
U obviously didn't click my link above

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I come to you from the distant future
The Board of Studies has taken over our democracy as we know it
By slowly manipulating the Syllabus, they have created an army of super teenage soldiers
You must start an uprising against this horrible organisation unless you want your kids to succumb to the same fate as I

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
U obviously didn't click my link above
You didn't carefully ready my perspective. My arguement had nothing to do with going faster than the speed of light, rather, it was the opposite.. slowing it down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)