• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is Tupac the best musician to ever live? (1 Viewer)

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
spiny norman said:
fact, aside for Martin Luther King and perhaps Barack Obama if (when?) he becomes president, I can't think of many individuals in general who've done more in the fight for racial equality in America.
You have got to be shitting me. This is so narrow minded and naive it's astonishing.
Huey Newton, Bobby Seale, Malcolm X, Rosa Parks, A. Philip Randolph. Tommie Smith and Juan Carlos for fucks sake, probably one of the most famous images in civil rights history. That's just from the top of my head from a brief look at it last year in American History

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
pac's music was also counter-productive in the fight for racial equality.

'hey mang were not violent'

*on the mic* 'hit em up man ill kill you fat motherfucker thats why i fucked yo bitch its war, money over bitches, we ride on these fools tonight'

now 2pac had SOME positive messages in his music, but he did sugar-coat it ALOT with more explicit themes.

i would argue that underground/relatively unknown rappers have done more in terms of music to deliver a positive message. not completely unknown but common and the roots for example who were around at that time as well had very positive messages in their music, and showed off the more artistic and musical side to hip hop. that is probably why racial equality is more prevalent in the underground then it is in mainstream sectors of society, because the mainstream sectors of society only have access to the mainstream type of music which is counter-productive to these types of causes.

and thats why more 'mainstream' type people, ie, those that don't know what they are talking about when it comes to a certain genre, in this case hip hop (eg, L-esky, wrxsti) would be more likely to hold the common hip hop stereotypes then those that actually know the genre (ie bazookajoe, icraig and myself)

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Want can make a nigga wanna take another nigga life
What can make a nigga wanna do another nigga wife
Life a butter knife
What can make a nigga wanna get his body so high
That can't go to sleep, don't wanna eat
Pray to God that he don't do crack
What can make a nigga wanna cut a beauty queen raw
Feeling every drip drop she can generate imitate seesaws
What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club
Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love
What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules
In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume
What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in
Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

L-esky

HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
^ yeah i figured that much, i also figured that you haven't heard much hip hop like at all. so your opinion is pretty much not needed and ignorant. bye.

also gathered that you don't know a thing about music production and what it involves.

safe to conclude, you don't know much about music in general.
yeah I'm the first to admit I haven't heard much hip hop at all but that's because what I have heard has made me feel like throwing up so I don't bother to go out of my way to hear other stuff. If I did I might find myself eating my words. It's not just the production...it's just the whole 'scene' in general. I don't agree with it/get it at all. It's all to do with opinion and in my opinion the hip hop I've heard isn't really music so I don't see how they can be considered musicians.
As for the comment about me not knowing much about music in general...yeah, that's why I'm doing music for my hsc and currently coming 2nd. Mainly due to the fact that I can talk about how music is constructed etc. in viva voces.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I used to hate hip hop.

....yep coz the woman degraded it.
ZING GET IT? LUPE

Anywho, I actually did dislike hip hop for ages but started listening to Kanye and older Outkast (for some reason I think most of their mainstream songs are terrible, eg: Gold Digger and fucking Roses, god I hate that song) and thought they were pretty awesome. And that just lead to finding "new" (actually old, like Nas, A Tribe Called Quest, Wu-Tang etc.) artists who I also liked.
I have to assume that the horribleness you've heard is on the radio and stuff, and I generally dislike mainstream rap/hip hop as well

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
music is a very very very very very very very broad field. just because you are following a narrow syllabus on music does not mean much, at all. but maybe when you get to uni and study music production you may learn to appreciate that its not always as simple as one thinks.

if you think of music in terms of art, you have a much deeper understanding of it. knowing how music is constructed then thinking that makes you know alot about music is like learning to walk and thinking you can fly.

One who knows about music as an art form learns to embrace all types of music.

and yeah, not getting the scene always leads to not agreeing with the scene. thats why hip hop is so stereotyped. understanding context is the key to understanding art.

L-esky

HSC
I watched a doco about hip hop a few months ago. I learnt to appreciate the context it comes out of. I get that. I just don't get why (I'm mainly talking about mainstream stuff here) that in modern times like this it is seen as acceptable for these guys to talk about their "hoes" and the way all the film clips objectify women etc. I'm not even a massive feminist person but I just don't see how any of that can be considered acceptable. Also, when they go on about bashing so and so up for some stupid reason...it just makes me angry because I see in magazines and stuff about these hip hop guys being such rolemodels and I just don't understand how they possibly can be.
Basically, I can't relate to the lyrics and themes at all. If I could maybe I'd appreciate it then but as an australian girl who goes to possibly the most 'ghetto' school in the area, yet lives out of that area and went to a primary school where most kids and I suspect some teachers (although I wasn't one of them) had never met anyone who wasn't sure where their next meal could come from or anyone a bit different, comes from a stable background and doesn't really associate with people who find the hip hop scene appealing...I just can't relate to it all. We all have closed minds to some things and for me hip hop is one of those things.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
what non-conformist hiphop fans call "good" hiphop is also terrible (like De La Soul). i cannot connect with the genre

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
icraig88 said:
are you the worlds biggest fucking idiot. i'm assuming you are of middle eastern appearance as your username suggests. you would be one of those typical faggots who drive through the city on a friday and saturday night in their mums car pumping the latest ne-yo track acting like the biggest sick cunt ever. "omg girls look at me, i have a licence, i have low self esteem, i'm horny and i have a small penis, but you know what, it's ok, because my mum says i'm special". only a clueless faggot like yourself would say such a fucking stupid comment like that. it isn't my problem that you have a lack of music knowledge (and taste). also, why haven't you made any contribution to the hip hop thread on here since you're such a smart cunt about everything.

please, enlighten me.. cunt.
:spam: clearly jealous! even though i aint one of them, we get better pussy then you, and you just cant handle it.

:cool:icraig88: i really have a small penis, i ridicule others with small penis comments cause i have body issues.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
L-esky said:
I watched a doco about hip hop a few months ago. I learnt to appreciate the context it comes out of. I get that. I just don't get why (I'm mainly talking about mainstream stuff here) that in modern times like this it is seen as acceptable for these guys to talk about their "hoes" and the way all the film clips objectify women etc. I'm not even a massive feminist person but I just don't see how any of that can be considered acceptable. Also, when they go on about bashing so and so up for some stupid reason...it just makes me angry because I see in magazines and stuff about these hip hop guys being such rolemodels and I just don't understand how they possibly can be.
Basically, I can't relate to the lyrics and themes at all. If I could maybe I'd appreciate it then but as an australian girl who goes to possibly the most 'ghetto' school in the area, yet lives out of that area and went to a primary school where most kids and I suspect some teachers (although I wasn't one of them) had never met anyone who wasn't sure where their next meal could come from or anyone a bit different, comes from a stable background and doesn't really associate with people who find the hip hop scene appealing...I just can't relate to it all. We all have closed minds to some things and for me hip hop is one of those things.
yeha its mostly pop rap and gangsta rap that talk about 'hoes' and stuff like that.

beentherdunthat

HSC
WannaBang? said:
No, sweetheart, I don't go to Malek Fahd but most of my cousins do. No offence, but is it true most of the girls at Malek Fahd go against everything taught to them religious-wise?.
I dunno, ask your cousins you asshole
Who the hell told you that

WannaBang? said:
E.G. When a guy comes past the school they'd all start talking to him and trying to get with him.
lol, er yeah with all the security going on around the place, that sounds pretty viable, am i correct?

WannaBang? said:
I'm not trying to insinuate that you're a slut, but that's what I've heard
lol i'm sick of rumours, they're so old school, i'm not even going to try to rebutt this sick comment.

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
wrxsti said:
:spam: clearly jealous! even though i aint one of them, we get better pussy then you, and you just cant handle it.

:cool:icraig88: i really have a small penis, i ridicule others with small penis comments cause i have body issues.
it's funny that none of your reply contains anything about music knowledge, therefore shows you know nothing about it.

you get better pussy?

o rly??

because when i see the girls they go after, they're pretty shit, more than likely a less than average fuck because they wouldn't feel anything and it would be like throwing a sausage down a hallway.

that's ok though, whatever floats your boat. i prefer a girl that has taste and some brains rather than someone who walks around bankstown all day and night with their legs spread open wide.

beve

Jesus
HSC
rap isn't music.

for the most part:- i can tolerate Lupe Fiasco and Kanye West... just please nothing like 50 Cent; he single-handedly defaced the image of rap & hip-hop music.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
cool man sounds like your one of those generic people who judge genres their mainstream songs.

please don't say a whole genre isn't music based on some bad apples.

pop-rap isn't music.

hip hop IS music.

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
cool man sounds like your one of those generic people who judge genres their mainstream songs.

please don't say a whole genre isn't music based on some bad apples.

pop-rap isn't music.

hip hop IS music.
Your face is music! :hammer:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)