Is UOW any good in comparison? journalism, creative arts (1 Viewer)

jessmooka

don't leapfrog unicorns.
HSC
Hey there;
I'm interested in going to UOW next year and doing a double degree in creative arts (performance) and comm. media (journalism).
I just wanted to know, is the uni really any good? In comparison to other NSW universities, what are the benefits, job prospects etc?
Also, if there is anyone who has done a performance degree at UOW, could you tell me a bit of what it's like? I have gone to a shitty public High School for 6 years now and I've had enough of the crap facilities, shithouse teaching and lousy career prospects. I predict I will get a UAI of around 82-90 though, and i want to go to a Uni that is a step up from what I'm subjected to at the moment!
I realise that the unemployment rate of actors in Australia is currently around 99% :) but I still would like to pursue my performance passion, but do Journalism to increase my employability (is that a word?)
Any comments, advice etc would be very appreciated. :wave:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I'm doing the Creative Arts(performance) course at the moment. It's fairly different to what you'd find at somewhere like NIDA. For example, our first year production is based on traditional Korean song, dance, and acting. It's also fairly well noted for the fact that 'Dramaturgy' (the study of drama) is a compulsory class. Wollongong offers a program which attempts to build upon the skills of the performer, while offering alternative ways to keep progress=ing and developing as an actor.

You're coming from a similar situation to me. The staff in the creative arts department are all very good, and offer and large array of knowledge in their particular field. I've probably learnt more 'technical' information in five weeks of my production classes than in two years of Entertainment.

I can't compare it with other uni's offhand, because I don't know the statistics. At UOW, the underemployment rate as an actor is 98% for males, 99% for females. The production students though, have around a 80% success rate. But then again, less students do it.

Journalism probably won't increase your chances of working as an actor (unless your get into news presenting). However, it will increase your chance of getting a job in the industry.

Last edited:

jessmooka

don't leapfrog unicorns.
HSC
is that unemployment rate or job success rate (the 98/99% work for actors)?
thankyou so much for that.. thats a heap of help. it's really beneficial getting it first hand rather than reading the eccentric/biased comments on the uow website :) I'm about 90% sure i want to do this course... it would be amazing just to have a degree of performance behind my name! thanks again, big help!:haha:

rachellyrachel

HSC
Hey,
Im in my final year of the Performance course at UOW and I think its a really worthwhile thing to do. If you're going to be 100% committed to the course, I would thoroughly recommend it, but as was stated above, the journalism degree wont help you get acting work.

However, if your interested, go for it! And talk to the staff in the Creative Arts faculty. They are really helpful, and will definitely answer your questions about the course.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
is that unemployment rate or job success rate (the 98/99% work for actors)?
It's the unemployment rate. Your chances of finding consistent work as an actor is around 1.5%. I think I'll go back and edit my post. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)