Is using maths in focus a waste of time (1 Viewer)

john1464

HSC
So basically my school only uses maths in focus however I understand that the questions are bad,basic and repetitive, but should I just totally stop using it and move onto Cambridge or Fitz, as my school doesn't check home work. By the way I'm not a struggling student, just wondering if I should totally stop using it or use a mix of both?

Swaan

Stupid Fat Hobbit
HSC
If you're not struggling with maths, use Cambridge or Fitz, the questions in these textbooks will challenge you better than those in MIF

photastic

HSC
Cambridge has a progressive structure where there is a section for the basics, then a section for developing the basics and a challenge section. MIF is only good with the theory in terms of simplicity but the questions are rubbish.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Yeah pls don't use it

Cambridge and fitz ftwwww

Silly Sausage

HSC
Definitely get cambridge + fitz if you can. The questions go into much more depth and difficulty. I used both effectively and it proved advantageous against people who only used MIF.

john1464

HSC
Yeah I haven't quite done much work in the Fitz patrick however I like the progressive exercises of the cambridge quite a lot

astroman

HSC
MIF is good for the basics, such as application of formulas, etc. but they are no where similar to what you will be assessed on in exams, in which there are much more complcated 'wordy' questions. I made the mistake of using MIF and only MIF as my textbook for year 11 and absolutely got rekd, i regret it heaps since now i suck at the year 11 maths course but have made the change to using others and mainly focusing on past papers for study. I however still do the Homework set by my school from MIF since it is compulsory but that is it, always avoid it as your MAIN source of study material, i suggest you get another book, Fitzpatrick is great.

john1464

HSC
MIF is good for the basics, such as application of formulas, etc. but they are no where similar to what you will be assessed on in exams, in which there are much more complcated 'wordy' questions. I made the mistake of using MIF and only MIF as my textbook for year 11 and absolutely got rekd, i regret it heaps since now i suck at the year 11 maths course but have made the change to using others and mainly focusing on past papers for study. I however still do the Homework set by my school from MIF since it is compulsory but that is it, always avoid it as your MAIN source of study material, i suggest you get another book, Fitzpatrick is great.
Yeh I already own the 2 unit cambridge book but i'll probably get fitz as well cause i hear the hardest questions are in there

dirty_ink

HSC
I think MIF is good foundation, so it might do you well to use a mixture of textbooks. I agree that you should attempt more questions from other textbooks as mentioned above though. They'd definitely be more challenging than the ones in MIF.

Feynman

HSC
If you came out better than before then no it's not a waste of time.. but I find that hard to do with MIF.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)