Is UWS all that bad or is it an ok uni to go to??? (1 Viewer)

T

tactic

OKay..

I went to UWS last year..
and now i am at UTS so obviously i thought UTS is better which it is in some cases...

I did Comp Sci at UWS.. there course is to old.. i was learning how to program in MIPS and also Modula2.. which is pretty bloody useless... they do have some good subjects but i think they have to get rid of their old ones.. UWS is harder then UTS i find.. i had more of a challange at UWS thats one of the main things i regret..

Bad things at uws is that there are a lot of dumb low lifes who want to get through uni easy.. and they try to steal your assignments.. and there is a lot of copying/cheating going on..

I sort of enjoyed being able to travel 15min to uni instead of an hour.. but i do beleive the uni's reputation does effect you when you are going for jobs..

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Generator
That's amazing, because from what I have gathered from the media, country areas are full of dangerous dole bludgers, while newcastle is suffering from high unemployment due to industrial shutdowns...
It isn't nice, is it?
newcastle currently has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the countrie. and besides, housing, entertainment, and all the other essentials are about 10 times cheaper than in sydney.
and most country areas have a lower crime rate than sydney, becuase people actually get out and work rather than sitting in an air conditioned office all day.
and besides, have you ever been to newcastle? i bet not. and before you ask, yes, i have been to both sydney, and the western suburbs.

at least in newcastle and surrounding 'country' areas you can walk down the street at night without fear of being mugged or bashed or raped or something.

Bimbo

Southern Girl
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
i mean, sure, western sydney probably isnt the best, most desirable place to live
Reading that has really pissed me off. Some people would say that Newcastle or the Hunter Valley isn't exactly the best, most desirable place to live.
Anyway, before you assume that i'm some westie living in my housing commission home in Campbelltown, i thought i'd tell you that i'm not. I come from a wealthy family and a wealthy area, and i'm living in an expensive area of Western Sydney (yes, it does have expensive areas).
Oh and at the moment, many younger couples are actually turning to Western Sydney looking for their first homes, as they have been priced out of the more metro areas, so i'd say that the area is actually quite desirable to many people.

yeah, but its not exactly the safest..and a lot of the people arnt exactly credible...not everyone, im sure theres some lovely people, but theres also a lot of bad ones
Every area is going to have its bad spots or derelict people. You sound like a complete and utter snob, sorry, but that's the way you have come across in your views of Western Sydney. You can't just generalise and say it's undesirable place to live, or the people are not 'credible'-when Generator started with his views on Newcastle, i noticed you were pretty quick to say how lovely Newcastle is or crime free it is, whatever. I think what Generator was trying to show you is that the media can give you a false impression of places, in this case Western Sydney.

Bimbo

Southern Girl
at least in newcastle and surrounding 'country' areas you can walk down the street at night without fear of being mugged or bashed or raped or something.
oops i missed this bit. Well, this really made me laugh. Being raped or mugged could basically happen ANYWHERE, so that argument doesn't really hold much significance with me.

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
ive been to that newcassel place or whatever it is, theres heaps of cows if i can recall correctly

Generator

HSC
N/A
I did put in the 'It isn't nice, is it?' line, remember. It seems that cynical comments don't travel well over a net forum.
Sadly, I have been to Newcastle.

But back to UWS. If it wasn't up to scratch, then it wouldn't be allowed to offer degrees, would it?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
to put it bluntly, hipsta_jess you have no idea. Im agreeing with everything Bimbo has stated... all your views about the west are unjustified assumptions. yeah fair enough houses and entertainment are cheaper, mainly because if you want a decent job with a decent salary your far better off moving into city. As with the crime rates, its probaly 'low' because theres probaly nothing to steal but a bunch of centrelink pamphlets and do it yourself abortion kits. Like my assumptions hipsta_jess??

Bimbo

Southern Girl
Originally posted by copious
As with the crime rates, its probaly 'low' because theres probaly nothing to steal but a bunch of centrelink pamphlets and do it yourself abortion kits. Like my assumptions hipsta_jess??
:rofl:
nice one copious!

Here

Banned
HSC
ok, back to the original topic i started

i checked the good universities guide at the newsagents today and found out some things for uws, heres follows:

Prestige: 2 stars
student demand: 1 star
research quantum: 2 stars
getting a job: 2 stars

while starting salary was 4 stars.

Compared to mac, uts, etc this is quite bad, considering those unis got almost 4 or 5 stars for everything.

getting a job at 2 stars is quite worrying, while the others got 5.

ANU's rating were quite impressive, well on par with the other unis i mentioned.

But one thing i must ask, howcome uws got a graduate rating of 3 stars while sydney got 1 star?

Anyways ANU is starting to slip up the list of my preferences if i cant get into uts or mac, even if i have to board there.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Well, looking at it, a lot of degrees at UWS guarantee jobs at the completion of your degree. So, heh.

To put it bluntly, I think this is all bullshit.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Here
... Compared to mac, uts, etc this is quite bad, considering those unis got almost 4 or 5 stars for everything.
The thing is, if you're goin' to get a job, you'll get one... if they're not goin' to give you the job, it doesn't matter what Uni. you went to. :)

Bimbo

Southern Girl
Originally posted by flyin'
The thing is, if you're goin' to get a job, you'll get one... if they're not goin' to give you the job, it doesn't matter what Uni. you went to. :)
i agree with Flyin...if an employer hates you, you won't get the job regardless of what Uni you attended

Norway

HSC
hi here,
i actually went to uws (parra) last year and am now at uts after transferring so i might be able to help you.

First off uws isnt as bad as most people would put it out to be, the teaching is ok and its much easier to meet people and make new friends since the campuses are so small, like 6000 instead of 20s of thousands at other unis. i actually made far more and closer friends at uws that i have at uts.

The academic standard isnt actually that bad either. people often have the conception that uws mark easy, but i really dont think thats the case, they mark just as hard as uts, and the work there is not really much easier as well.

But in all honesty, i would have to admitt uts is a far better uni. in terms of atmosphere, activity, events etc it is much better than uws. uws parra is quite small as well and not very modern.

As much as i enjoyed my time at uws, i would still have to say that uts etc are better unis and the experiences you get from them will be far more fulfilling.

I also believe that the uni you come from does make a huge difference in finding jobs and was one of the reasons i transferred in the first place.
I agree with what most people said about degrees being degrees etc, but unfortunately i dont think employers quite think the same way we do. I think they do chose you according to which uni you came from and will put those from prestigious unis at the top of the pile.

Last edited:

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
im in the same boat as Norway over there. I was at the UWS Parra campus last year and transferred to UTS this year, now doing comp sci/ IT.

My experience at uws , well at parra anyway, was in my opinion far more challenging than that of UTS so far. I found that i did much more work and that the marking and assessments were alot more difficult. The atmosphere was alot smaller and the lecturers and tutors were much more approachable.
But in saying that, theres no doubt UTS so far has a distinct advantage in resources( in particular the IT facilities which i constantly am exposed to), atmosphere and social life. They are also more upto date in terms of their teaching methods and content.

I dont think we can really say that employers pick certain people from certain uni's over others unless theres concrete proof. and besides, each employer is different. If you read mycareer in the smh they regularly have recommended degrees and occuputations and UWS has featured regularly for some of its degrees and job prospects.

Kittycat

HSC
Originally posted by frenchy
Hey i live in south western suburbs, and not all of it is bad as some people think, just the media makes it sound bad.
I'm going to be putting uws in my preferences.
Yeah me too...it is not as crap as people say...

RodneyUWS

I go to UWS... Iam doing a B Business (Marketing) my course has a 94% employment rate... I love uni... I go to Blacktown Campus and it's a great atmophere for buckling down and working... Tutors and all the staff are approcable and the facilities are modern. I chose to go there over Sydney.. and the other unis...

As for people knocking the Western Suburbs.... ahhh I won't even bother.. but cut the snobbyness... I have lived in the Parramatta area and also in the North Shore in my life time and find there to be no differnce...

People who look down appon the Western Suburbs are just going by old sterostypes... If you have seen some modern reaseach you would of noticed that the "westie" generally doesnt exist anymore.... With a huge number of people living the West being educated and working.. and a increase in average income and a decrease in unemployment...

I think many young couples move to the west as housing is more affordable, and now it's seen as a decent place to raise a family..

10 years time the Inner west and south west areas will be just as good as the North... etc..

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
I know at least 2 lecturers at usyd that also teach or used to teach at UWS. 2 being a fairly large number considering the few number of lecturers I have had (7).

FLR-IT

in the end employment would just come down to what type of person u are and your personality

even if u went to USYD or UNSW and u turn up to a job interview as a snob, the employer would not hesitate in my opinion to pick a UWS graduate who is more enthusiastic and outgoing.

Kittycat

HSC
Originally posted by natstar
i think its so snobby how ppl classify others depending on where they live.
ppl also classify others depanding on what school they went to also. Some people feels that:
1. If you don't go to a private school, you are crap and nothing good will come out you, and you all are probably dumb idiots (I actually had that said to me by a person but I also had many friends who went to private schools and is nothing like that)
2. If you don't go to a selective school or did not attend an OC class, you are probably crap and dumb, and nothing good will come out of you.

please note, I disagree on both points but that is some of the things I have heard

James Dean

The oldest join date here
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Asquithian
hahah ...usyd has a low satisfaction level ...no one ever mentions that...
i think unsw also had a similar satisfaction level as well.......:D

just flipping through the uni guide its quite funnny to see that all the prestigious unis like syd, unsw, etc got low satisfaction levels while unis like southern cross university, uni of new england and other 'low prestige' unis got ratings of 4 stars or higher.

I think it all has to do with work load and difficulty.

Syd/ unsw = difficult, high workload = low satisfaction

southern cross, new england = easy workload, easy life = high satisfaction!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)