Is UWS really as bad as everyone gives it credit for?? (1 Viewer)

Cheesecake_a

HSC
I am surprised at what people are actually saying about this University. Firstly, getting into University at all is a great achievement. Secondly, why can't people just be greatful for having the opportunity to have an education in the first place?

We are so fortunate, and it all depends on what the student does during their studies and after that can be a factor in determining how successful someone can be in the future.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I am surprised at what people are actually saying about this University. Firstly, getting into University at all is a great achievement. Secondly, why can't people just be greatful for having the opportunity to have an education in the first place?

We are so fortunate, and it all depends on what the student does during their studies and after that can be a factor in determining how successful someone can be in the future.
you put it in italics

underlined it

and misspelled it.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Technically I would agree with you, but since he is my friend... then other things are taken into account. You have an extremely good point (psh you aren't narrow minded). Honestly it was quite a un-rational decision he made, sorry for anything I said that you took offensively as I didn't intentionally mean it.
Good to see you can see the errors you both made (you in your post, him in his decision-making skills).

hahha i went to law revue tonight

3 uws is shit jokes

hehehehehehehehehehe
can get into law at UNSW with 94.6 as long as you ask for AAA scholarship.

Okay.

koksmith pls

i g3ts da 93 aterz point and go 2 unsw evn though it tak 4 hoyrs by horse drawn carig

bt iz k

cuz unsw sed dai g3t me a jerb at g0ldm3n sukz w3n i finish comm3rce

den i mek so much money i bi a lambo wit da body made fr0m kompacted lambos wil doez p33ps at uwSUCKS wurk at maccerzzzzz
:cry:

well this obviously isn't true. why is aerospace at sydney 99.8? because they don't take many students.
And because those few students that do it (I've met 3 so far in first year) are generally more studious.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it really depends what course and job you want to do in the end. I think it's a better uni than some of the other smaller unis around the place in certain areas. Some courses I wouldn't think would be your first choice, but like any uni, there are stronger and weaker courses.

Certain CSU and La Trobe campuses have good courses, some UWS courses are good, UC courses are ok...it depends what we're comparing it to.

The most important thing in making a degree worthwhile is the effort you put in and where you get it to take you :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
can get into law at UNSW with 94.6 as long as you ask for AAA scholarship.
Your point?

Only one person per school gets the AAA scholarship, and you don't ask for it in most cases. You're awarded it. Hence, Academic Achievement Award

obviously someone's jelly that they never got dat 4k cash money from the aaa

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Your point?

Only one person per school gets the AAA scholarship, and you don't ask for it in most cases. You're awarded it. Hence, Academic Achievement Award

obviously someone's jelly that they never got dat 4k cash money from the aaa
The teacher at my school offered to give it to me.

And I said no.

Kill yourself.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
"and you don't ask for it in most cases."

read my post again

go have a cry

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
"and you don't ask for it in most cases."

read my post again

go have a cry
She offered it to me.

She came up to me, asked me if I wanted it, and I said "No, I don't want to go there." and then she said "Okay. Who do you think will want it?" and I said "Alex, because he's Asian." and she laughed.

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
In answer to OP

UWS is fine. As long as you maintain good to decent marks, it won't matter which Uni you go to.

rozza55

HSC
I've never been to UWS, so can't comment on the actual student experience, but what I can comment on is the employability of UWS graduates (which I'm assuming at the end of the day is one of the main reasons students discriminate against it).

Firstly, let me start by saying straight up that if you're looking to start your career in a top tier law, investment banking or management consulting firm, I strongly advise you not to graduate from UWS. It's well known that these firms are among the last to still actively discriminate against students who are not from top unis. That's just the way it is. If you have your heart set on one of these companies but can't get into Usyd/UNSW straight away, then work hard and transfer.

Now that that's said, I can say that if you're applying for any other graduate program (be it engineering, big 4 banking/accounting, telecoms) at a major company, then it really doesn't matter which uni you graduated from. Your grades, work experience, extra-curriculars and interpersonal skills all weigh far more heavily in selection. If a student can demonstrate that they are bright, confident and well rounded, this counts for everything in the application process, not the uni they went to.

If you do go to UWS, work on improving yourself in those areas I listed, and you will get a job over any Usyd/UNSW grad who didn't bother. Seriously.

How I know - I'm in the grad program of a major company. Highly competitive (7000 applications for 200 spots), and while Usyd/UNSW are strongly represented, there are many many grads who came from lesser unis.

Kingportable

HSC
1) 93.25 isn't that good
C'mon, 93.25 I know is not 'super' but at least it's a good ATAR. And secondly, it's not nice to actually offend him. He is quite a nice person, and respects other peoples ideas and beliefs. I'm not saying that he is very 'bright' but at least he did his best
Just what kind of magical ATAR did you people get!!!!!!!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Just what kind of magical ATAR did you people get!!!!!!!
Well, some of us get 99+ and some of us get higher than 93.25 and believe we did shit... so yeah... 93.25 isn't that good...

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the UWS med program, it seems that even as long as the course is high enough it's immune to the beating or the stigma that UWS is bad. But in all seriousness a lot of people elect other uni's because they can, if per say the following year everyone decided to go to UWS then it may create the trend that UNSW and Usyd have lost they prime and suddenly become bad uni's :/ (hypothetical situation).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the UWS med program, it seems that even as long as the course is high enough it's immune to the beating or the stigma that UWS is bad. But in all seriousness a lot of people elect other uni's because they can, if per say the following year everyone decided to go to UWS then it may create the trend that UNSW and Usyd have lost they prime and suddenly become bad uni's :/ (hypothetical situation).
Nah, med at UWS seems good.

But that's because they pump a lot of money in it and the people that run it are very dedicated.

Also because their med programme is based off Monash's which is good.

Whereas other faculties have budgets cuts and shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)