Islam (1 Viewer)

Optophobia

HSC
http://www.australiansagainstracism.org/code/resources08.html

^^^^ this website is a load of shit.

Islam gave women unprecedented rights:

• Equality in spiritual matters
If Islam isn't the most oppressive religion for women, i don't know what is.

Islamic women can't pray in the same area that men can. They cannot lead religious service, nor hold any office (all are restricted to men).

I think its pretty obvious that this website was written by a Muslim.

Kulazzi

HSC
Optophobia said:
Islamic women can't pray in the same area that men can.
Yes we can. Where is your source for this?

Optophobia said:
They cannot lead religious service, nor hold any office (all are restricted to men)
Yes we can. If there are no men to lead the prayer service then a female is allowed to. And yes, believe it or not females do hold office in organisations.

Where is your source for this?

Kulazzi

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Why can't a female lead the prayer service is there is a man?
That is a good question and from my understanding it is so the men doesn't check out the women's derriere when she is prostrating ;)

But it is also because the way the females pray is slightly different to the way the males pray (just in their positions). The idea of an imaam is to 'imitate' them in prayer when they lead the prayer. So, if there are men around then the imaam would be a male with the males imitating his moves behind him otherwise a female would lead the congregation with the females behind her imitating her prayer moves.

Optophobia

HSC
They pray 5 times a day. if they haven't memorised the prayer pattern and need someone to immitate by that stage in their life then there must be something wrong.

And no, Women cannot lead prayer services, because my ex-maths tutor was telling me how disgusting it was that the christian church allowed a woman to become a minister. By office, I mean "religious" office. They are all held by men.

Either way, Islam is the most oppressive of all religions for women. Name one religion who is more oppressive; one which forces women to walk arond the hot desert in a veil head to toe.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Optophobia said:
. Name one religion who is more oppressive; one which forces women to walk arond the hot desert in a veil head to toe.
um men also wear a 'veil' at the desert its keep that hot sand away from your body and face.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Kulazzi said:
That is a good question and from my understanding it is so the men doesn't check out the women's derriere when she is prostrating ;)

But it is also because the way the females pray is slightly different to the way the males pray (just in their positions). The idea of an imaam is to 'imitate' them in prayer when they lead the prayer. So, if there are men around then the imaam would be a male with the males imitating his moves behind him otherwise a female would lead the congregation with the females behind her imitating her prayer moves.

tats an excuse.. its not a reason.

Kulazzi

HSC
Optophobia said:
They pray 5 times a day. if they haven't memorised the prayer pattern and need someone to immitate by that stage in their life then there must be something wrong.
It's not about memorisation. You are clearly displaying your ignorance.

And no, Women cannot lead prayer services, because my ex-maths tutor was telling me how disgusting it was that the christian church allowed a woman to become a minister. By office, I mean "religious" office. They are all held by men.
Yes they can I am speaking from experience so I don't know where your ex-maths tutor is coming from. S/he is obviously wrong. Once again, you are displaying your ignorance.

As with "religious" office I classify our uni Muslim society under that. Believe it or not, the president is Muslim (and so was another muslimah before her). So is the secretary. And the treasurer. Seems like the guys are afraid of the girls taking power eh?

Either way, Islam is the most oppressive of all religions for women. Name one religion who is more oppressive; one which forces women to walk arond the hot desert in a veil head to toe.
Who says Islam is based around Arabia?

Last edited:

Kulazzi

HSC
Optophobia said:
Is that all that matters to you?

A picture may speak 1 000 words but it does not necessarily display the truth. For example, the women in a Hijaab would obviously get everyone thinking "hmm.....she's opressed" when really they are not.

Last edited:
HSC
Optophobia said:

do you know why women in islam wear the hijab?

Kulazzi

HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
oh oh!

*waves arm frantically in the air*

Let me answer that question for him!

*raises and waves both arms to get more attention*

No.

Optophobia

HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
Yes, because they are the possession of men and are enslaved in a culture that oppresses them in a way that they don't even realise that they are being oppressed.

Kulazzi

HSC
Optophobia said:
Yes, because they are the possession of men and are enslaved in a culture that oppresses them in a way that they don't even realise that they are being oppressed.

Where the HELL do you get your information from?!?!?!?

Oh wait, don't bother :rolleyes:

www.dictionary.com said:
Oppress 1. to burden with cruel or unjust impositions or restraints; subject to a burdensome or harsh exercise of authority or power
*raises eyebrow*

edit: You have to make the distinction between religion and culture.........which you have not done.

Last edited:
HSC
Optophobia said:
why are you talking about islam when its obvious that you dont even know anything about it?

Kulazzi

HSC
^Damn, I wish the rep system was brought back in right now.

Last edited:
HSC
Optophobia said:
Lol. Way to go. Way to display your ignorance so blatantly.
The Hijab is not compulsory. It is a way of being modest, Islamic women value modesty. Look at a statue of the virgin mary. She is usually pictured with a head covering similar to a hijab, but I have not seen any Christians claiming Mary was being oppressed by Joseph. Modesty is not a bad thing.
Allah/God assigns no punishment for not wearing the hijab. As for being possessions...that is so silly and untrue it's hard to know wear to start. Study religion. Read the Bible and the Koran.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I would argue that a culture that tells women that they should be modest to such a measure, even if the populace for the most part agree's with it, is being oppressive.

Kulazzi

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I would argue that a culture that tells women that they should be modest to such a measure, even if the populace for the most part agree's with it, is being oppressive.
I agree. For example, take the Indian culture. One of my cousin's friend got married last year. However the guy that she was going to marry, she:

a) never spoke to him or
b) never saw him in person and;
c) Only saw his photograph

This is a very traditional line of marriage. It is also a tradition for the bride-to-be to stay prior one month to the marriage inside her home. She cannot go anywhere. She cannot even sit in the sun outside. This is because fair skin is considered to be very attractive in India and for the girl to be fairer, she needs to stay inside. This is exactly what my cousin's friend did.

Now, I am of Indian ethnicity however thankfully my parents are going to follow the marriage process in Islam, and not the one above otherwise I would just....be oppressed!

Now, to enlighten poor Optophobia (and anyone else) on the marriage process in Islam, in contrast to the example I have just provided.

In Islam, you are allowed to go on a 'mini-date', exactly like you would do on a first date. Just to get to know the person, their morals, their standards etc. etc. Then afterwards, you can decide to marry that person or not. Let's get rid of the "arranged marriage" myth in Islam as this is simply not true [and certainly not oppresive compared to the Indian culture].

Now, the divorce on the women's part. IF a man decides to divorce his wife then ok, they're divorced. HOWEVER, if he desires to remarry her HE has to wait UNTIL she has married someone else and has divorced husband #2 (or 3 or 4 or whatever).

Get it?

Got it?

Good.

Now let's see if anyone can figure out which scenario is the "oppressive" one. Sometimes I really wonder....

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)