• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Israel–Gaza conflict (4 Viewers)

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Riet said:
Al Jazeera wouldnt be biased at all.
Clearly you have never seen Al Jazeera International. Typical ignorance, go watch Fox News, Channel 7 or whatever it is you watch.
FYI: BBC and Al Jazeera International are probably the 2 most objective media sources around and definitely the 2 I most trust.

Ambition

HSC
Gaza families eat grass as Israel locks border

AS a convoy of blue-and-white United Nations trucks loaded with food waited last night for Israeli permission to enter Gaza, Jindiya Abu Amra and her 12-year-old daughter went scrounging for the wild grass their family now lives on.
“We had one meal today - khobbeizeh,” said Abu Amra, 43, showing the leaves of a plant that grows along the streets of Gaza. “Every day, I wake up and start looking for wood and plastic to burn for fuel and I beg. When I find nothing, we eat this grass.”

Abu Amra and her unemployed husband have 3 daughters and a son. Their tiny breeze-block house has had no furniture since they burnt the last cupboard for heat.

“I can’t remember seeing a fruit,” said Rabab, 12, who goes with her mother most mornings to scavenge. She is dressed in a tracksuit top and holed jeans, and her feet are bare.

Conditions for most of the 1.5m Gazans have deteriorated dramatically in the past month, since a truce between Israel and Hamas, the ruling Islamist party, broke down.

Israel says it will open the borders again when Hamas stops launching rockets at southern Israel. Hamas says it will crack down on the rocket launchers when Israel opens the borders.

Israel controls the borders and allows in humanitarian supplies only sporadically. Families had electricity for six hours a day last week. Cooking gas was available only through the illegal tunnels that run into Egypt, and by last week had jumped in price from 80 shekels per canister (£14) to 380 shekels (£66).

The UN, which has responsibility for 1m refugees in Gaza, is in despair. “The economy has been crushed and there are no imports or exports,” said John Ging, director of its relief and works agency.

“Two weeks ago, for the first time in 60 years, we ran out of food,” he said. “We used to get 70 to 80 trucks per day, now we are getting 15 trucks a day, and only when the border opens. We’re living hand to mouth.”

He has four days of food in stock for distribution to the most desperate - and no idea whether Israel will reopen the border. The Abu Amra family may have to eat wild grass for the foreseeable future.

Ambition

HSC
Re: Gaza families eat grass as Israel locks border

John Ging (UNWRA) "This is murder."

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
I have the solution to this conflict. Lets send in Bono. He has orange sunnies. Who wants to shoot a guy with orange sunnies?

Ambition

HSC
As the fighting closed in on the city, Gazans began accusing Israel of deliberately aiming at civilians, to turn them against Hamas. Israel blames Hamas, saying it focuses the battle in the densely populated areas of this narrow, crowded coastal strip and uses residents as shields.

Ambition

HSC
To put things in context - 13 Israeli's have died from rocket fire from Gaza since the turn of the century. How can Israel and it's supporters allege that the massacre of innocent civilians, the carpet bombing of a nation and the starvation of an entire people be justified by this? Israel isn't looking for peace - it's looking to scare the palestinian people into submission. It is a brutal bully of the worst kind

emperorofblues

HSC
sam04u said:
Also, face it dude. The U.S is a paper tiger. The same is true with Israel. In order for Israel to reassert it's dominance over the middle east after it's embarassing defeat at the hands of Hezbollah, it decides to pick on the weakest entity probably in the entire world, Gaza.
Right on.
Plus, i cant believe how many people have bought into the belief that Hamas is a mass, terrorist organisation

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Rageeb said:
I have the solution to this conflict. Lets send in Bono. He has orange sunnies. Who wants to shoot a guy with orange sunnies?
Me.
I suppose this would work however, as both sides would unite together in an "enemy-of-my-enemy" alliance.

Ambition

HSC
You know what those silly Arab leaders should do? Repeat the 1970s and put an oil-embargo in protest for Gaza. That would have the effect of putting the world into a deep-recession, where people are not willing to suffer economically for Israels action. It is the only way to this war.

Do you think it would work?

Ambition

HSC
Let's be real, this is a new Holocaust, now conducted by the victims of the earlier one. This is systematic killing of a people. Truce can only be achieved if the US puts real pressure on Israel or if Israel achieves its objective which seems to be the destruction of Hamas and punishing the civilian population of Gaza for supporting them.

Ambition

HSC
To equate the bombing of Gaza that has killed around 400 Palestinians with the Hamas rocket attacks that have killed four Israelis is to indulge in a shameless distortion of facts. Apart from the imbalance in the casualty figures, a state must be held to different standards than a group (albeit elected) that represents an occupied and oppressed people.

bigb0yjames

HSC
Ambition said:
You know what those silly Arab leaders should do? Repeat the 1970s and put an oil-embargo in protest for Gaza. That would have the effect of putting the world into a deep-recession, where people are not willing to suffer economically for Israels action. It is the only way to this war.

Do you think it would work?
no. will not work. economic situations are totally different from 1970. however, arab countries wouldnt dare to do such a thing.

Ambition

HSC
Truce can be achieved when the US understands that the support that they give the Israelis in the long run can be backfiring against them, the Israelis were running a prison camp (Gaza) for the last 2 years and prisoners do revolt against their jailers when conditions are deplorable. These killings of innocent people it does not help the Israelis for their request for acceptance in the Middle East; trust can be build with negotiations not bullets and especially when women and kids are involved

Ambition

HSC
bigb0yjames said:
no. will not work. economic situations are totally different from 1970. however, arab countries wouldnt dare to do such a thing.
Ohhhhh reallly.....Scared ay?

You know it would work, because if American people start suffering, then do you REALLY THINK THEY WILL CARE ABOUT ISRAEL'S ELECTION PROPOGANDA WAR?

Ambition

HSC
My question is, why does the majority of the world claim to love the Palestinians in Gaza and not offer them political asylum in their home countries? They all could be relocated between Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Libya and Europe." -Alberto

That's a good question. Another good question is, why can't the entire country of Israel move to North Pole?

Sarcasm aside, my point is, why should Palestine keep relenting to the point it loses all its land and Israel takes all?

Ambition

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Yep because that's how it works, an eye for an eye. Does Israel wait until 400 citizens are killed until they're allowed to kill one other? This isn't how conflicts work.
Good point. Should Hamas wait while its people starved to death before they are allowed to follow your priniciple of an "eye for an eye".

emperorofblues

HSC
Schroedinger said:
If Israel ever comes under serious threat (Unlikely given how amazing their Military force is) the US will send in the entire fucking Army to protect their shit. It is in the worse interests of all surrounding Arab countries to attack Israel because they'll use any future military action as an excuse to basically cleanse the surrounding areas and claim greater Israel for themselves.
You use the word amazing, as if to imply that the Israeli military is somehow naturally more powerful. But come on, lets face the facts - the Jewish soilders aren't exactly the most masculine.

Schroedinger said:
the US will send in the entire fucking Army to protect their shit. It is in the worse interests of all surrounding Arab countries to attack Israel because they'll use any future military action as an excuse to basically cleanse the surrounding areas and claim greater Israel for themselves.
Read that over to yourself, and ask yourself calmly - is that what the supposedly 'good guys' do?

Ambition

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Pure facts: Might makes right.
So if Iran attacked is that ok because it is powerful? If that is the case, hey that is a good justification for Iran wouldn't you think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)