• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Issues of the LGBT community in Australia... (4 Viewers)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
But now it's a media defined "issue", everyone has dug in and it's stuck in a quagmire of boring shit. But that post sort of stated the ultimate problem, but how do we move from the situation we have now, where a very noisy minority "oppose" boys having sex with boys and girls having sex with girls for their various ridiculous reasons to a situation where sexuality is totally irrelevant from the legislative point of view?
I agree. All the legislation does is protect the rights of people in relationships. This should include all kinds of relationships between adults. Should have nothing to do with who these people are, they should all have the same legal standing.

And if this legal contract happens to be called marriage, so be it.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Culturally, transgendered concepts make people uncomfortable because we live in a society that so rigorously enforced gender differences and stereotypes. When you meet someone who steps outside of those norms, it is unnerving. It's cultural programming, okay.
What I meant to say was that as cysgendered people we can't really understand the full reasons why transgendered people undergo surgery or transform themselves the way they often try to. Just like I can't fully understand the experiences of a straight woman or a gay man, I can't understand the experience of a transgender person because I am not transgendered. As gender and sexual identities are innate, I can't choose to be straight or transgendered, so how would I know everything they feel?

I should have put it better I guess.

It's natural to feel unnerved by people who exist outside the traditional gender binary. But if Malfoy-Sama is going to make their lives difficult, discriminate or spread hatred about them, that is wrong.

Malfoy-Sama

HSC
What I meant to say was that as cysgendered people we can't really understand the full reasons why transgendered people undergo surgery or transform themselves the way they often try to. Just like I can't fully understand the experiences of a straight woman or a gay man, I can't understand the experience of a transgender person because I am not transgendered. As gender and sexual identities are innate, I can't choose to be straight or transgendered, so how would I know everything they feel?

I should have put it better I guess.

It's natural to feel unnerved by people who exist outside the traditional gender binary. But if Malfoy-Sama is going to make their lives difficult, discriminate or spread hatred about them, that is wrong.

i dont intend to discriminate or spread hatred about transsexuals.

i am merely stating the fact that i would feel uncomfortable around such a person

i do not hate them, i just see them as people who are in a very pitiful situation, and have something going on mentally that has caused them to do great harm to themselves.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
don't get me wrong, i have a friend who is a fag. i just cannot understand why they want to associate themselves with people who are clearly not mentally balanced and are into disturbing self-mutilation.

i dont intend to discriminate or spread hatred about transsexuals.
These two statements don't make sense together.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
LGBT is just about people whose sexuality and gender does not fit into the typical binary. An acknowledgement that there's more to it than just male and female.

HSC
The problem with homosexuality is that it is defined as an issue in itself.

Homosexuality is something that can be desireable to just about anyone (e.g. that sad four corners story on Monday), just like heterosexuality.

The notion that you can define a human as 'gay' entity who needs separate rights from everyone else etc is simply ridiculous.

Most people don't care what sex other people get and tbh the only thing worth discussing is the abolition of all mentions to gender in relevant legislation
Yes, I agree with this. In my opinion, homosexuality as an orientation is neither good nor bad. It just *is*. It only acquires an element of morality when seen through human eyes. Love is evidently important to humans, thus those that are for same-sex rights see this as the crux of the issue, and therefore take an opposing stance to those who disagree. The people opposing same-sex rights also impose their human morality on something which, essentially, is morally neutral.

It's become an 'issue' because it brings out such fierce emotions in people on both sides of the debate.

aussie-boy

HSC
Did anyone see the documentary on ABC about the emergence of 'sex' in the 1950s?

I was startled by Kinsey's statistic that 20%+ of males had experienced homosexual desires... and this was when homosexuality was an extreme taboo that a lot of people would never have even heard of

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Norrie first registered sexless person

This is interesting. You're now allowed to have "sex not specified" on birth certificates, so there's a trend towards parents not choosing a gender for their child at birth (when it's a grey area).

I think it's a good idea, since you can never tell how an intersex child will grow and how they will feel about their gender until they're much older.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's certainly an interesting article. I think that it some cases in can be a great idea. However, I wouldn't want to see it blatantly abused either.

Tangent

HSC
and it also brings up the issue of marriage's definition again. id like to see how they handle this one.

"but marriage is between a man and a woman!!!!!"

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
It's certainly an interesting article. I think that it some cases in can be a great idea. However, I wouldn't want to see it blatantly abused either.
I don't think anyone would seriously abuse it. Some people are intersex, others transgendered, others simply don't identify as any one gender.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I don't think anyone would seriously abuse it. Some people are intersex, others transgendered, others simply don't identify as any one gender
I wouldn't think so. However, I would hope that a parent wouldn't deliberately change something on a form to suit their own wants, infringing on the future rights of the child.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
That's what I would disagree with. Parents who simply change a form to suit their own ideas are stupid, the option should be there so the kid can choose it depending on their gender identity.

HSC
Norrie first registered sexless person

This is interesting. You're now allowed to have "sex not specified" on birth certificates, so there's a trend towards parents not choosing a gender for their child at birth (when it's a grey area).

I think it's a good idea, since you can never tell how an intersex child will grow and how they will feel about their gender until they're much older.
Yeah, I find that scenario really interesting. It has the potential to completely change how we view gender.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It has the potential to completely change how we view gender.
So much already exists that is radically redefining gender. Problem is, most of it never hits the mainstream.

Tangent

HSC
Yush, the problem with changing anything in the legal system is that it takes years.

HSC
So much already exists that is radically redefining gender. Problem is, most of it never hits the mainstream.
That's true. Groups of people who don't quite fit the norm end up largely ignored unless they draw attention to themselves.

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
My english teacher was telling our class about this guy who teased another guy who cross dresses. It turned out that the bully was actually gay and just didnt know how to show it. So pick on us all you like, we know you secretly love us.
:jaw:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)