IT/ Comp Sci / Software Engineering (1 Viewer)

Gigacube

HSC
Maths is a core subject for all computing degrees at UNSW. & USYD. It's mainly for problem solving skills.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
would you recommend a student getting around 74% in Maths2u to take up computer engineering?

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Considering comp eng assumes MX1 at most unis (unsw for sure) then you would want your 2u mark as high as possible although you would still need a bridging course

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Considering comp eng assumes MX1 at most unis (unsw for sure) then you would want your 2u mark as high as possible although you would still need a bridging course
I have had a huge look through the different subjects offered, between Bachelor of I.T and ICT engineering. and WOW there's a shitload more physics and mathematical modelling - compulsory in ICT engineering. There's more analytical shit then real computer work. I searched a few books as well, you're talking books of 800-1000pgs on maths and physics alone.

I.T on the other hand looks much more appealing to me (subject wise). Physics is not compulsory (offered as a choice). Not sure about maths, I think thats optional as well with the data statistics stream. Is pay is around the same between the two? I've also read that employers interchange ICT engineering as B.I.T (don't quote me on this). TBH, I've never really gotten into all that analytical mathematics and physics. It just feels like it doesn't suit me. and I honestly can't wait to finish 2unit maths. Plus I like applications of computers, i.e applying my knowledge to help people, not digging away at endless equations which very briefly relate to computers. (core topics of CE). where as I.T core topics are much more directly related to computers straight away. + I.T is 3 years where as ICT engineering is 5 years.

Also for any one who knows about Usyd Bachelor of Computer science and technologies degree or has done it, what's it like? would it be similar to a I.T degree at UTS? My view of it atm: It's not physics related and doesn't have as much maths as ICT engineering.

Please provide some good advice, thanks
MB

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
computer science, computer engineering and information technology are all very different you know
If you wanted to do something like an IT degree at UTS you would want to be doing the B IT at usyd majoring in information systems.

depends what kinda job you want to get into

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Because they teach you SQL and all that crap at work - especially if you work in the public service which is half fuckwits anyway.

Friend was working at ABS (in a dev role) and someone didn't know what a pointer was

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
computer science, computer engineering and information technology are all very different you know
If you wanted to do something like an IT degree at UTS you would want to be doing the B IT at usyd majoring in information systems.

depends what kinda job you want to get into
what's the difference between ICT engineering and computer science? I thought it was the same course just named differently at UTS. I do not see any computer science course at UTS.

and student leader,
By public sector do you mean working at a local telstra retailer for example? I'm interested in setting up the right I.T systems for the right purpose. I will not fail people when it comes to that. I've heard the pay is very similar for ICT engineering and I.T grads 1st year.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
and student leader,
By public sector do you mean working at a local telstra retailer for example? I'm interested in setting up the right I.T systems for the right purpose. I will not fail people when it comes to that. I've heard the pay is very similar for ICT engineering and I.T grads 1st year.
same bloke also said anyone who does contract work for the government is also probably a retard

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
what's the difference between ICT engineering and computer science? I thought it was the same course just named differently at UTS. I do not see any computer science course at UTS.
UTS don't have a comp sci course

twistedrebel

HSC
computer engineering is hardware and more electrical computing, hence they do physics, but only faggs do that degree.

Do any degree and pick major

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
computer engineering is hardware and more electrical computing, hence they do physics, but only faggs do that degree.

Do any degree and pick major
tbh, this is the best thing I've read all day. I love the open-mindedness. I will choose what my brain and heart desires at the end of the day. Thank you.

twistedrebel

HSC
i ve noticed that as a software student, that i can do almost everything comp sci kids can and vice versa.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you know the reason why UTS doesn't have a comp sci course? is it because they combined it with other courses?
I think i've seen something similar to a comp sci course on their site, somewhere, idk, call and ask?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I just don't want a job that just about managing an I.T system in a business. I have a feeling that it will get boring very quickly. If that's all you do day in day out. I recently discovered what computer science is about. I.e. the process of designing software to run on different types of hardware to connect users with the hardware and solve their requirements. That would be much more satisfying rather than just coming to work each day and sitting at a support desk responding to user / client problems all day long until you go home. >< I would rather make a app that clients will use to solve their problems. Test it and maintain it.

and computer engineering is more electrical engineering which focuses more on the design of the hardware, chips and transmission mediums.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)