ITT: The training we have taken to be safer on the roads. (1 Viewer)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Just wondering how many people have taken private tuition (track/skidpan/classroom theory) since/before getting their licenses, given all the holier than thou stuff being spouted in the other thread. Driving with an instructor for your Ls doesn't count.

I have riders/drivers and have nil training to boot.

I'm still heaps safer than all of you but.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Who actually drives with an instructor with their Ps, unless they had medical problems or something?
I do use an inst, but Ls...

oh classes

never mind

yeah I would

quik.

HSC
None, when new bike is under me I will be doing advanced rider training + later on trackdays

I am also the stig

quik.

HSC
I will add that I think rider/driver training should be a compulsory portion of obtaining licence

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I think it was in finland that you had to do 20hrs classroom training, 30 hours supervised with an instructor and pass a skidpan test doing scandinavian flicks and picking correct throttle points on hilly roads etc to get a license.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I did the classroom session thing offered by Honda back when I was in high school (the one where they sit you in an MDX and brake at different speeds to show you braking distance).

Recently I did the MRT skidpan day but honestly speaking, it's more about learning how to control your car, initiate and control skids, and pull perfect 180's lol. THat being said, these skills no doubt will one day come in handy if my vehicle ever does happen to have stability control turned off and the road is wet enough to trip the AWD system into a skid.

Planning on going for track training as well now.

Also did a bit of gokarting in the past if that counts as driver training...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it was in finland that you had to do 20hrs classroom training, 30 hours supervised with an instructor and pass a skidpan test doing scandinavian flicks and picking correct throttle points on hilly roads etc to get a license.
Is that from Top Gear? I think they were talking about the CAMS equivalent.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
When I was training to become a postman, I had to do a two day training course that taught me heaps about handling as well as roadcraft, much better than the P's course. Much more difficult to pass than the P's test as well.

Conducted at the HART centre at St Ives, great place, they have a couple of kilometers of enclosed track for testing.

Australia post paid for a nice hotel room nearby + travel allowance + $21/hr for the 16 hours of the training.

Become a postman if you want to learn how to survive on the road.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
I crashed the postie bike when trying to go flat out through a cone weave (lol), I passed the course, but my boss was disinclined to let me out on the road.

Being a mail sorter is better than postie anyway.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the prompt. Yep I was at HART back in high school. Not sure how useful the program was but it was still a good day out.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Yeah I was looking to get some private on road coaching + maybe a couple of runs on a range before sitting my MOST next year but then yeah I got pinged. Might just wait out the suspension if it ever comes and then get something done between semesters.

Also graney, how much of it was theory? Probably because I haven't really done anything constructive on it, but I don't seem to find the training I've done on a bike/car so far as helpful.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I was looking to get some private on road coaching + maybe a couple of runs on a range before sitting my MOST next year but then yeah I got pinged. Might just wait out the suspension if it ever comes and then get something done between semesters.

Also graney, how much of it was theory? Probably because I haven't really done anything constructive on it, but I don't seem to find the training I've done on a bike/car so far as helpful.
What are you trying to get out of it?

If you want defensive driving, go for defensive driving courses typically intended for new drivers. If you're insured directly with AAMI (and not a subsidiary like Just Car) I believe it's free of charge and you get a discounted premium later on. Those courses tend to be mixture of theory and practice.

If you want performance driving, go to a tuning house or a track day organiser. These will teach you more about controlling your car and the limits of the systems as opposed to how to drive safely on the road lol.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A

It was mostly practical. We spent most of the two days riding the bikes.

A postie bike with Aus post panniers equipped is 2/3rds the width of a yaris, a tank of a thing. With these panniers loaded up with 10kg each side, we were doing a cone weave which required you to go full lock right where you'd just clear the cone, then immediately full lock left to clear the next cone, then immediately opposite lock etc... for a row of cones. I only made it through without hitting a cone or putting my foot once.

Teaching you to do emergency stops from 60km/h, set up and brake, instead of the pussy 20 in the P's test (because so many emergency stops happen at 20km/h).

Practicing intentionally locking and unlocking the front brake on dirt.

etc

Stuff you wouldn't normally practice.

I imagine a paid course wouldn't be as good as the Aus post one though, since they're not even half the length, and they're probably not going to ask a customer to intentionally lock the brakes of their new R1 on dirt.

If you want to learn about handling, buy a dirt bike.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
No training. Instructor on my Ls, but otherwise nothing.

I am an amazing driver otherwise.

Life experience;
- Driving on shitty dirt roads with loose gravel, pot holes and wild animals
- Driving around the farm since age 11
- Learnt to drive a manual for the first time in a Dodge truck with no brakes

<-- the best

hectic_lowie

Banned
HSC
It was mostly practical. We spent most of the two days riding the bikes.

A postie bike with Aus post panniers equipped is 2/3rds the width of a yaris, a tank of a thing. With these panniers loaded up with 10kg each side, we were doing a cone weave which required you to go full lock right where you'd just clear the cone, then immediately full lock left to clear the next cone, then immediately opposite lock etc... for a row of cones. I only made it through without hitting a cone or putting my foot once.

Teaching you to do emergency stops from 60km/h, set up and brake, instead of the pussy 20 in the P's test (because so many emergency stops happen at 20km/h).

Practicing intentionally locking and unlocking the front brake on dirt.

etc

Stuff you wouldn't normally practice.

I imagine a paid course wouldn't be as good as the Aus post one though, since they're not even half the length, and they're probably not going to ask a customer to intentionally lock the brakes of their new R1 on dirt.

If you want to learn about handling, buy a dirt bike.[/quote]

fagz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)