J.K Rowling- Rags to Riches (1 Viewer)

u-borat

Banned
HSC
she's a very good storyteller...but pacing, worldbuilding, characterisation....etc are all very very mediocre.

michael1990

HSC
u-borat said:
she's a very good storyteller...but pacing, worldbuilding, characterisation....etc are all very very mediocre.
She made characters that the world are able to relate and interpret but its all very mediocre?
For some reason i can't seem to understand why people are calling her literature mediocre?

I mean its not just children, teenagers but its adults as well that are the targeted audience. So if your saying that the 100% of the population that has read Harry Potter as being very narrow minded when it comes to literature then your correct by calling it mediocre.

michael1990

HSC
sam04u said:
Brilliantly devised plan. Make idiots think they have a chance at making it to riches in a Capitalist society. They call it the "top tier" for a reason, there's only enough room for x-amount of people.
LOL.

Theres enough room for anyone to become rich in a capitalist society.
Just ask yourself the 4 economic questions.
1. What to produce?
2. How much to produce?
3. Who to distribute to?
4. Where to distribute?

mortein2008

HSC
michael1990 said:
So if your saying that the 100% of the population that has read Harry Potter as being very narrow minded when it comes to literature then your correct by calling it mediocre.
no, it is perfectly appropriate to read and like harry potter. i myself have read all 7 books. However, as poWerdrY said, it is very annoying and narrow minded for fanboys like you, to get so defensive about Rowling and Harry Potter, when you have a very limited reading experience.

Edit: oh dear, that sounded very elitist =(

Last edited:

johnnydepp

HSC
mortein2008 said:
no, it is perfectly appropriate to read and like harry potter. i myself have read all 7 books. However, as poWerdrY said, it is very annoying and narrow minded for fanboys like you, to get so defensive about Rowling and Harry Potter, when you have a very limited reading experience.
i lol'd

michael1990

HSC
mortein2008 said:

Edit: oh dear, that sounded very elitist =(
Actually i read quite a lot.
I just think that Harry Potter is really good.

I have a very large bookcase which is full of books i have read :)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
michael1990 said:
LOL.

Theres enough room for anyone to become rich in a capitalist society.
Just ask yourself the 4 economic questions.
1. What to produce?
2. How much to produce?
3. Who to distribute to?
4. Where to distribute?
Yes, "anyone" can become rich in a capitalist society.
However, "everyone" can not become rich in a capitalist society.

Australia is quite close to perfection though in terms of the worth of riches. When the poor can afford to enjoy all of what society has to offer (which in Australia they do) that is when rich or poor is irrelevant.

But with the rising costs of living, aging population, and other such. Our utopia may be threatened.

Last edited:

michael1990

HSC
sam04u said:

Australia is quite close to perfection though in terms of the worth of riches. When the poor can afford to enjoy all of what society has to offer (which in Australia they do) that is when rich or poor is irrelevant.

But with the rising costs of living, aging population, and other such. Our utopia may be threatened.
Agreed.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
michael1990 said:
Actually i read quite a lot.
I just think that Harry Potter is really good.

I have a very large bookcase which is full of books i have read :)
i doubt there's much that counts as good literature in your very large bookcase.

in terms of speculative fiction....read dune by frank herbert, ender's game by orson scott card, anything by richard morgan, george martin, tolkien, steven erikson, scott bakker...the list goes on.

read something from that list and try to tell me with a straight face that rowling is a good writer.

mortein2008

HSC
u-borat said:
i doubt there's much that counts as good literature in your very large bookcase.

in terms of speculative fiction....read dune by frank herbert, ender's game by orson scott card, anything by richard morgan, george martin, tolkien, steven erikson, scott bakker...the list goes on.

read something from that list and try to tell me with a straight face that rowling is a good writer.
+1, especially about George R.R Martin...but disagree with tolkien. can't stand his LOTR, made me fall asleep

u-borat

Banned
HSC
to each his own. its not quite as good as the other names on the list, but it gets big bonus points for being the benchmark of modern fantasy.

Dub Fresh

HSC
michael 1990 said:
She made characters that the world are able to relate and interpret but its all very mediocre?
For some reason i can't seem to understand why people are calling her literature mediocre?

I mean its not just children, teenagers but its adults as well that are the targeted audience. So if your saying that the 100% of the population that has read Harry Potter as being very narrow minded when it comes to literature then your correct by calling it mediocre.
Seriously, Stephenie Meyer's series is just the redux of Harry Potter. Create some teenage story that supposedly deals with teenage issues and all of a sudden they're classics of modern literature. NO. Case-in-point, Rowling delayed the whole sex/puberty thing till book 6, if I remember correctly, and then put in so much of it the book lacked plot and ended up focussing on Ron/Lavender, which to be honest was a really poor pairing, considering Lavender was given next to no character development at all.

In terms of your statements about the wide readership, that doesn't mean anything. Writing a book which is highly marketable does not make it any better than a book that aims at a specific niche market.

mortein2008

HSC
Dub Fresh said:
In terms of your statements about the wide readership, that doesn't mean anything. Writing a book which is highly marketable does not make it any better than a book that aims at a specific niche market.
yep. key word there is "marketable"

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
sam04u said:

cghsjiwon

HSC
michael1990 said:
Only 7 but i think she will make 1 more.
At least.

what what !
so are you saying another book might come out ?
omg thats good really
i was so sad after i finished the 7th book thinking that this was the end ... ehem...
but yeah lols

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)