• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Jane Austen (1 Viewer)

babyslug

Too School For Cool
HSC
I was forced to read Emma for my HSC. I didn't get past chapter 4. Everyday i would say to myself "Alright, come on sagey you have to read at least 5 pages a day". Then i would be out like a light. I never did end up reading the rest of the book - although i equal firsted in the assessment.
I burned all my Austen notes. DEATH TO JANE AUSTEN! oh..hang on..

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i also had to read emma. it was a bit boring and it dragged on a bit, but it wasnt bad

varus

Mr Darcy!!! definetly....both in the book and BBC series....he is the ultimate partner..tall, dark handsome, smart, reserved, a real mannnn mmmmmm ohh if only he were real. he's such a gentleman!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
pride and prejudice....esp the miniseries (although the book is just as good!)

suz

HSC
Mr Darcy is my favourite character, My english teachers dream man, perhaps he has grown on me too lol
Surprisingly I actually enjoyed reading Emma

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Apart from Mr Darcy and Mr Knightley, i love Mrs Bennett (PP) and Miss Bates (Emma) both for obvious reasons.

Although, speaking of heroes like Knightley and Darcy, reading so much Austen has raised the bar for what i want in a man lol.

suz

HSC
OMG I can't believe I forgot Mr. Knightley *shakes head*
I agree with the whole lifting the bar thing lol
I now have very high expectations...

smittenkitten

Poopinator
Forced to read Emma...made it about 3/4 of the way and just decided that the movement in the story was too subtle and slow for my liking. Her stories are interesting to WATCH in movies (though unaccurate as they are) but to read?!- I couldn't do it:(

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
lol i loved my 'Austen phase' - the one where you read one after the other in the course of 10 wks? hehe wish i could do it for the first time again.

But, does anyone else find, that while re-reading her novels, you find that you come across certain snippets you didnt pay much attention to before? i think thats the beauty of her work.

I didnt like Wickam from the start, he was too saucy in the bad sesne. Lol but Mr Collins...such a slimy character, i was attracted to his repulsiveness.

JA is so clever in her satire, however light it is.

I love Costume Dramas! There is one this wkn on the ABC - Byron - a romantic Engliah poet who is played by Johnny Lee Miller (who played the gorgeous Edmund in the adapted, Mansfield Park).

I cant help but fall in love with JA men.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
pushkin, tolstoy...hmmm i guess...the one jane austen book i DIDNT like was "persuasion"...

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
You forgot Dostoevsky!
At least it isn't an omission worthy of Crime & Punishment. :D

I'd add Anton Chekhov (The Cherry Orchard, Uncle Vanya, Steppe, A Dreary Story etc:) and Nikolai Gogol (Best known for Dead Souls, a satire upon Russia prior to the 1861 emancipation of the Serfs..) to the list of '19th century Russian Authors'..

Haven't read any Austen as of yet.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Mr Darcy is my man!

Colin Firth! *sighs*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)