• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Jane Austen (1 Viewer)

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
How could i forget my bingely? What a charming, delightful hunk of spunk!

Did anyone watch the mini series and the part where Darcy is introducing Lizzie to Georgiana, and Mr Bingley comes in later ALL SMILES and so cheerful???

swoooon.

Hugh dancy too, im going to have an affair with him, played Daniel Deronda, i have the video!!!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
Wasn't criticising it. I thought it was v.good, even if I preferred The Brothers Karamazov. :)
Yeah I know. But I couldn't really think of anything to say but "I liked it"!

Haven't had the time (or the discipline) for any more Dostoevsky though. I'm trying to get back into bilingual classics, but it looks like uni will kill those plans in the same way school did...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by veanz
How could i forget my bingely? What a charming, delightful hunk of spunk!

Did anyone watch the mini series and the part where Darcy is introducing Lizzie to Georgiana, and Mr Bingley comes in later ALL SMILES and so cheerful???

swoooon.

Hugh dancy too, im going to have an affair with him, played Daniel Deronda, i have the video!!!
]

hahaha yes..."miss Bennet! how do u do?!" he was so pompous in that scene!

clerisy

HSC
Originally posted by Sarah168
pushkin, tolstoy...hmmm i guess...the one jane austen book i DIDNT like was "persuasion"...

I loved Persuasion! I despise Emma, though-- I really don't understand why its supposed to be so good. Mansfield Park, though, is my favourite Jane Austen, and in terms of character (I don't count Mr Darcy as his studliness manipulates my opinion) I like Henry Crawford from Mansfield Park-- the cad is always the most interesting.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by clerisy
Mansfield Park, though, is my favourite Jane Austen, and in terms of character (I don't count Mr Darcy as his studliness manipulates my opinion) I like Henry Crawford from Mansfield Park-- the cad is always the most interesting.
In MP i found Fanny frustrating with her timidness and her teary outbursts... even if she did build strength and character, shes sometimes more pitiable than likable.

Did you watch MP with Johnny lee miller and Francis o-conner? at first, i didnt like how it wasnt very loyal to the book, but its explicit adaptation ( i mean that in every sense) grew on me.

I like the repulsiveness of mr collins in emma. He was so gooey and slimey. Emma is a snub. Mr knightley should be with me.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
lol im up to chapter 3 volume one.. for emma have to read it for HSC
hmms.. i havent touched it since the holidays LOL!
i like the transformation that emma goes through and her affection towards her father!

clerisy

HSC
In MP i found Fanny frustrating with her timidness and her teary outbursts... even if she did build strength and character, shes sometimes more pitiable than likable.

Did you watch MP with Johnny lee miller and Francis o-conner? at first, i didnt like how it wasnt very loyal to the book, but its explicit adaptation ( i mean that in every sense) grew on me.
Yeah, Fanny was an idiot. You spend the whole book just screaming down her throat for her to get some nerve! The Crawfords were the interesting characters, I thought... but my irritation with Fanny is probably what makes me enjoy the book so much. I thrive on a) hating people; and b) smugly contemplating the greatness of my own self.

I didn't see the film because I remember reading a review which said how drastically they changed it, and chose to boycott it (l don;t think anyone noticed). Anyway, then I forgot about the film's existence. If it's a worthy film in it's own right, however, I might see it...

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Speaking of 'hysterical' outbursts, that is my only real criticism of Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. I understand the nineteenth century context, and 'scientific' beliefs about women in that period, but it does get rather annoying having every female character in the entire text break into hysterics at least twice.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Yeah, Fanny was an idiot. You spend the whole book just screaming down her throat for her to get some nerve! The Crawfords were the interesting characters, I thought... but my irritation with Fanny is probably what makes me enjoy the book so much. I thrive on a) hating people; and b) smugly contemplating the greatness of my own self.
Here here! Irritation proves motivating because im always hoping for some sort of change admist the inward screaming and frustration, the latter esp present in the part where she's refused henry crawford and is being lectured by Bertram.

Mrs Nooris is another character i love to hate :D

clerisy

HSC
Yes, Mrs Norris was of great irritation value.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Yes, Mrs Norris was of great irritation value.
i like how everyone got what they deserved, even Henry and Mary Crawford...

hmm is there a character in Austen who doesnt ultimately get what he deserves?

HSC
Everyone says that "Emma" is the best written text of Jane Austen but personally I like "Pride and Prejudice" better. I mean, Mr Darcy is a sultry hunk and Elizabeth is a fine and upstanding young lady.
However, Emma's vanity does result in some funny moments where she puts her foot in it, so to speak.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Don't call me a fan, it's insulitng. I was forced to read persuasion last year for extension english, Emma this year for english, and watch the pride and prejiduce mini series for extension english this year.

After all that there are two characters I like. Darcy and Elizabeth (both from Pride and prejiduce). Perhaps though, because I watched a film version, they didn't seem so annoying, or arrogant, like the rest of her characters

malayz_angel

Well I went through my Austen phase quite early and read all six novels. The only film version I ever watched was Emma, the one with Gwyneth Paltrow. My favourite characters are Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice), Elinor (Sense and Sensibility) and even Emma herself. Although Emma was a snob, I much preferred her to Harriet, because Harriet was such a follower.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
hmm emma? thats all ive read from Austen, well, attempting to read. the beggining was all exciting, now that i've reached the middle, it genuinely is boring. i dont think i'll be reading any more of her books for a long time..

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
I absolutely love Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice
I don't really have a favourite character, but the book is great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)