• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Japanese Learners UNITE!! (1 Viewer)

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
i put BArts International studies/Bbusiness @uts as one of my preferences. hm... can u guys rate it out of 10 how interesting international studies is? What level of japanese do they teach u?

snoopy05

HSC
so we go to the country for a year?
how much would that cost? and i heard that the costs, most of them, are covered, is that true?

snoopy05

HSC
this is outta topic,

but there's this japanese school tour group from japan!
and i get to take them around sydney as a tourguide! ^^
and im getting payed for it! howcool is that.

hmm... wonder if anyone could provide me some cliches for picking the chicks up?
hahahaha

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
mushroom_head said:
i put BArts International studies/Bbusiness @uts as one of my preferences. hm... can u guys rate it out of 10 how interesting international studies is? What level of japanese do they teach u?
Well I haven't started the IntSt component yet, but I know a lot of people in various years and they all love it. I am told that there are some retarded Arts subjects like "Comparitive Social Change" but the language and culture subjects are very interesting. Well, the content is - some had complaints about the delivery. Language subjects are taught in three hour blocks as tutorials/seminars, where you show up for a bit of lecture, then you practice talking, then you watch a video, then you discuss stuff...it's all mixed up to avoid total boredom (three hour session after all).

The level of language taught is entirely dependent on your level of previous understanding. If you have any prior experience with your major language (in my case Japanese) then they require you to sit a language assessment, in which you go to one of the lecturer's office towards the end of first year and basically have a short conversation. Then they quiz you on some kanji, and lastly ask you to write a short piece about something. There are eight levels, where 1 is no knowledge and 8 is judo master. You take four semesters of your language through the course of your study before spending a year in Japan, so level 1s will finish on level 4 (which is enough to survive, it's about equivalent to Continuers). I am starting at level 5.

karnevil (I haven't seen him here in a while) is transferring from BBus to BBus/BAIntSt next year (the Faculty of Business wouldn't allow him to transfer mid year) so maybe if you PM him he can tell you about the BBus side.

As for the In Country Study (ICS) yes you go to your country for a year and the cost varies between countries, cities etc. I think everyone here knows Japan is friggin' expensive. One thing not everyone knows is that the uni covers some significant expenses, but in no way is that "most things". The expenses covered are really just airfare and sorting out the fees with the host university - you pay HECS for UTS (since you're still enrolled in a full 48 credit point year) and you are exempt from paying local tuition fees - a huge saving. However, you are still responsible for all living, recreational, transport, equipment and food expenses. In Japan for a year that's a hell of a lot of money.

Some things I've realised that now at the end of first year I only really have three summer breaks left to earn about $15000 - they say you need about $10000 but last time I was told what I "needed" I found out that didn't include any souvenir or recreation money. So I'm planning to bring an extra $5000 for the kind of stuff I'm bound to see and want, like a full suit of armour or a shinkansen. I also plan to live in Yamanashi rather than a major city, which will serve the dual purpose of saving me a shipload of money and letting me experience a quieter, more peaceful (and more authentic) Japan. After all, I've seen big cities and nowadays they're all the same.

If you want to experiece Tokyo (or any international city) then my best advice is don't live there for more than a week. If you have a lot of time to live in a city you'll never see all those places you meant to because "there's always time" and before you know it you'll run out. Just ask yourself how many of the "sights" of Sydney you have yet to really see. If you have a real and imminent limit you'll be aware of all the time you've got and make an effort to see everything. For me, Yamanashi is close enough to Tokyo that I can train it in every weekend if I so choose, without the noise and muck-in-lungs or endless seas of lonely, anonymous faces. What's more, I am not a fan of nightlife but would rather be able to wake up and see some scenery that doesn't involve skyscrapers.

Anyway, I've droned enough about my own plans. If you want to know more about the UTS international studies program, or particularly the places you can go for your 4th year ICS, roll over to The Institute for International Studies Website and click things, it's quite informative.

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
Wow thanks! but $15000 is hell alotta money! Last time when i went to the uts open day, i asked the japanese lady at the international studies desk and she said that there were some places in japan, ie i think she meant the countryside area (southern part of japan?) that costs only about $50 a month to live. That was quite unbelievable for me, but i probably misunderstood some of the things she said.

After reading what you wrote, now i really wanna do international studies. It sounds so interesting. All i need are the marks to get in.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah $15000 is a hella lot of money, but I have expensive tastes and I'm overbudgetting (safer than underbudgetting eh!).

If the marks worry you...well, it's not too difficult to transfer into the combined course - hell even I did it, and my GPA was 4.75! If you don't know what that means, think UAI <80.00 and you've got the picture. :p The most important thing is the Personal Statement for internal transfers (adding BA Int St to your current course is one of the few Internal Course Transfers being retained by UTS - no UAC! :D).

Last edited:

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
many people who take 15,000 AUD to JPN stay for a year and bring back a japanese car! You could sell it here for around 40,000 AUD dollars.. ;)

snoop05 have you had that tour group yet?

snoopy05

HSC
yeah, toured them already, they're kinda lame, not as cool as i expected + _ +, missed out on the girls! arg!!

anyways,
so, BA (languages) studies 2 languages? in Usyd the UAI goes upto 97UAI +_+ , got it from the open day last week.

i dont really get whats the difference between : BArts, (86.50uai) And BArts(Advanced ; 98.00UAI) they both have the same duration in years, ..
and i really want to know, whether these subject is a bludge? ?

what do you guys actually plan todo after finishing japanese @ uni ?

Last edited:

paganinio

HSC
eviltama said:
One of my biggest problems at the moment is motivation. I'm trying to learn the kana (yes yes i know its soooooo easy... >_<) but there is SO MUCH of it to learn and damn its boring... so does anyone have any exciting ways to make this horribly boring task more enjoyable... or even seem more relevant. Because even tho some of it is sticking it doesn't seem as if its doing anything for me... like useless info because i can't use it yet. So ideas?
how about...creating a KANA SONG?

snoopy05

HSC
.........motivation is what gets you started,......
....................Habit is what keeps you going....................
............................................obtain them and you'll prevail...........

anyways,
so, BA (languages) studies 2 languages? in Usyd the UAI goes upto 97UAI +_+ , got it from the open day last week.

i dont really get whats the difference between : BArts, (86.50uai) And BArts(Advanced ; 98.00UAI) they both have the same duration in years, ..

snoopy05

HSC
hey um, this is out of topic, but how do we actually change your name subtitle?

u see how on the left of your screen, there's your name, in my case is Snoopy05
and under it, it says " assistant member "

now, i see how people hav diferent ones, how do we actually change that? the User CP doesnt hav any of these options :S
htht ^^;;

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
you cant change it until you've reached a certain number of posts, reputation points or untilv youve been here long enough

read the faq ffs

stupid n00bs

snoopy05

HSC
huh?
wtf are you on me like that ? the faq doesnt' give any clear instructions how to, and or the conditions needed!
i dont remember offending you in anyways.

Last edited:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Actually, the faq does give instructions and requirements for Custom Status, but I've reworded it for clarity.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
snoopy05 said:
anyways,

in advanced arts you take "advanced units" (eg. in advanced science you might take advanced calculus instead of normal calculus) and also you need to get certain marks at uni to continue the advanced degree.
re: bludge, it really depends on what you consider a bludge. it's very easy to bludge through uni but you won't do well. in terms of hours arts is pretty cruisey, but in my experience to get good grades like D or HD it's still quite competitive.

at uni, people who have done HSC level japanese are put into the same class so you won't have any beginners in your class. and most of the people who choose to continue with japanese at uni everyone are at a certain standard.

i plan to major in japanese at uni, but my main faculty is eco&bus... hopefully i can work with a MNE or at least travel :)

snoopy05

HSC
ohh., i thought u hav to study 2 language in the advancved Barts, some uni guy told me that sometime after this,
but getting 97+ uai!? its kinda out of quiestion for me hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)