Japanese Studies.... (1 Viewer)

harudo_saika

HSC
quick question -

there r 2 majors of a normal one and the advance one. Does anyone know the standard of them? i stil dunno which to decide...

btw, anyone doing jap studies in the coming sem?:)

Linear

HSC
If you already know some jap then they have a test that they use to measure your fluency and the appropriate level/standard for you.

I was planning to do it but I got in too late and all the spots were filled up >.>;;

chippendale

HSC
N/A
Well the 'regular' Japanese Studies major is for people who complete up to 3B while the 'advanced' Japanese studies major is for people who start off usually at 3A or onwards.

The Japanese department at UNSW is quite good. The lecturers/tutors give quick and prompt replies and go out of their way to help you provided you are keen to learn/put in the effort.

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
quick question -

there r 2 majors of a normal one and the advance one. Does anyone know the standard of them? i stil dunno which to decide...

btw, anyone doing jap studies in the coming sem?:)
Hello, I'm doing a major in Japanese studies at UNSW. :) And I started off in 1A in my first semester as I've studied no Japanese in high school.

And whether advanced or not, you don't really get much of a choice, it all depends on your prior study of Japanese.

Typically speaking, if you have never done any Japanese before university or knows of only the basic alphabet (hiragana and katakana) and basic grammar patterns, you can only major in the 'regular' Japanese studies major, where you start off in "Beginner Japanese". In the first 2 semesters, they basically cover both alphabets, about 50 or so Kanji (introduced at the end of 1st semester and some more in the 2nd semester), and the basic grammar patterns. From what I've known, it's about the equivalent of HSC beginners Japanese with some new grammar patterns, except it's taught much faster in 2 semesters as oppose to 2 years for the HSC. I know quite a number of people who have completed HSC Japanese beginner's course and wasn't able to take the 2A (or "Intermediate Japanese") course because they forgot a while lot during the summer break or didn't really understand the HSC course well enough. After the completion of "Beginner Japanese B", you should be able to pass the old JLPT 4.

But if you have done the HSC Beginner's course, and scored reasonably well, say band 5 or 6 or have done ok-ish in continouers, you should be able to start in the "Intermediate Japanese A", if your placement test goes well. At that level, about 10 or so new kanjis are introduced every week with many grammar patterns. If you've only done the HSC Beginners course, the chances are, you WILL find it difficult to keep up and there will be many things you may have not learnt in the HSC course... At this point, people either drop down to the "Beginner Japanese" (1A) course or they work harder to keep up with the workload. In the 2nd semester, sonkeigo (super polite language) and humble forms will be taught and if I'm not wrong, it's the biggest topic of that semester. Anyways, after the "Intermediate Japanese B", you should be able to pass the old JLPT 3.

Finally if you have done extensive Japanese studies whether it be on your own, with a private tutor or at school (many who start at this level have not only studied HSC Japanese, but also gone on exchange during or after high school to Japan), you may be allowed to start with "Advanced Japanese" (or 3A) depending on your placement results. And by starting at this level, you would be able to major in Advanced Japanese Studies instead of the regular one. I've heard that it's a huge leap from 2B to 3A (even bigger than the jump from 1B to 2A, which was already pretty major). In this "Advanced" course, you will have weekly kanji quizzes with at least over 20 kanji phrases and if my memories serve me correctly dictations of sentences every few weeks. At this stage, the textbook is also completely in Japanese. During 3B (2nd semester), everyone will be able to do a 'project' of their choice. From watching drama (and list out new vocabularies and other activities) to junior sensei (assisting the teachers in 1B classes) to study towards the old JLPT 2 test.

Hope that clears things up for you. :)

Last edited:

harudo_saika

HSC
thanks so much for the replies~luv u, tht makes things clear.

but, stil no one doing jap....>? arh, so hesitate to go to o week wif nobody i know in syd:confused:

FugitiveGirl

HSC
Don't worry if you end up going alone, uni is a place to meet new people anyways :)

Lydia_88

HSC
Typically speaking, if you have never done any Japanese before university or knows of only the basic alphabet (hiragana and katakana) and basic grammar patterns, you can only major in the 'regular' Japanese studies major, where you start off in "Beginner Japanese". In the first 2 semesters, they basically cover both alphabets, about 50 or so Kanji (introduced at the end of 1st semester and some more in the 2nd semester), and the basic grammar patterns. From what I've known, it's about the equivalent of HSC beginners Japanese with some new grammar patterns, except it's taught much faster in 2 semesters as oppose to 2 years for the HSC. I know quite a number of people who have completed HSC Japanese beginner's course and wasn't able to take the 2A (or "Intermediate Japanese") course because they forgot a while lot during the summer break or didn't really understand the HSC course well enough. After the completion of "Beginner Japanese B", you should be able to pass the old JLPT 4.

But if you have done the HSC Beginner's course, and scored reasonably well, say band 5 or 6 or have done ok-ish in continouers, you should be able to start in the "Intermediate Japanese A", if your placement test goes well. At that level, about 10 or so new kanjis are introduced every week with many grammar patterns. If you've only done the HSC Beginners course, the chances are, you WILL find it difficult to keep up and there will be many things you may have not learnt in the HSC course... At this point, people either drop down to the "Beginner Japanese" (1A) course or they work harder to keep up with the workload. In the 2nd semester, sonkeigo (super polite language) and humble forms will be taught and if I'm not wrong, it's the biggest topic of that semester. Anyways, after the "Intermediate Japanese B", you should be able to pass the old JLPT 3.

Finally if you have done extensive Japanese studies whether it be on your own, with a private tutor or at school (many who start at this level have not only studied HSC Japanese, but also gone on exchange during or after high school to Japan), you may be allowed to start with "Advanced Japanese" (or 3A) depending on your placement results. And by starting at this level, you would be able to major in Advanced Japanese Studies instead of the regular one. I've heard that it's a huge leap from 2B to 3A (even bigger than the jump from 1B to 2A, which was already pretty major). In this "Advanced" course, you will have weekly kanji quizzes with at least over 20 kanji phrases and if my memories serve me correctly dictations of sentences every few weeks. At this stage, the textbook is also completely in Japanese.
I majored in japanese studies while i did my sci/arts degree (now finishing up with a science degree)...so i can provide my experience...

The beginners Japanese... you need to keep up since the pace is quite fast (in 1A, the first few weeks was easy since i did a bit of Japanese in year 11)......but yea, it was fun and had the best first year classes!

Intermediate......you are expected to learn 10 kanji each week (dictation tests every single week). Also, in second year, you will be required to write a sakubun (which is a composition piece) and you need to submit it to your tutor in two stages. There are two sakubuns you need to do (not sure if the course has changed, but this was my case back in 2008). The sakubun will give you practice for the biggest task in the second intermediate japanese course.. SPEECH.

Speaking of which, the emphasis is humble, polite forms!!! and yes, you are correct, it is the major focus of the semester. The speech is the major task for this course. I also did another elective (situational japanese) at the same time, so yes, it DID give me a leg up in Japanese 2B :skip:..overall i found 2B the most satisfying course :p

The advanced course was a HUGE jump..so i couldnt continue (it was optional anyway for me at that time..)... every single thing in japanese (with slight english)...and the txt book in japanese....and you had to construct a sentence...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)