Jeopardy! Club? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
From the guy that brought you "Indoor cricket comp?" a few weeks earlier... now comes his newest idea: Jeopardy! Club!

Firstly, for anyone who doesn't know what Jeopardy! is, you should educate yourself on gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR92H-68fCQ

And you should educate yourself on the Final Jeopardy! Round:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lle5SEANmfo

Now..

The purpose of the club would be to let people test their trivia knowledge in a fun environment away from formal trivia nights and functions - and... win stuff!

Jeopardy!, for those who are confused by the videos, is an interesting prospect in that questions are not given by the host - but answers.

For example the clue: "She's the Prime Minister" would be responded to by: "Who is Julia Gillard?" And so on.

What would essentially happen is the club would hire a hall or something every week and we'd play a Jeopardy! game. Three players participate - with the winner "winning" the cash accumulated in the game, and come back next week to win more.

Jeopardy! clues range in value from $200 to $1000 in the Jeopardy! (first) Round and $400 to $2000 in the Double Jeopardy! (second) Round. Now... because we don't have a TV deal and sponsors willing to fork out big bucks to advertise - we'd probably give out Monopoly money. Or, if we got Arc backing - we could make it an actual cash competition.

And for that, we could get people to pay to enter the club. Though, that would be a limited solution as if entrants dry up - so does the cash. So maybe I'm thinking we can contact local business to advertise on our show. For example, we could do an SCG category and one of the clues could be: "Tickets are available now for Australia vs. this team who will play at the SCG twice - next week and two weeks from now", and others could be less product-placement-esque with perhaps: "I look out of place at this stand - which is named for this title group of people". And they'd pay us money to make them look good =P

Arc backing could also be nice. And... TV deals! That's the ultimate goal.

Now, on the RL game show - the winner wins an average of about $20 000. If we were to cut that by 1000, we could fork out $20 per game. Clue values would be from 20c to $1 and 40c to $2... but that might be a bit weird.

We could also perhaps charge admission to the games - which would really help. Sell tickets and the like. We could have an epic set, and podiums and everything. All we need is a screen and a lectern and a projector - really.

And to "qualify", a person would have to be a part of the Jeopardy! Club and take a few qualification tests to enter.

We could have a Clue Crew to deliver clues and a full backstage staff of Researchers and Game Board Operators and Scorepersons... and of course, I would be the host. =P

Heck, we could even be in league with the trivia nights. Like a pre-show of sorts to get everyone's mind in the zone because really - the audience plays along with the clues anyway. Just in their minds.

And yes, we would play the awesome Think! music.

So... what do we all think?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Um, pretty ambitious mate.

Can we stick to indoor first? I mean start small, you know?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, really - we just need four people for a Jeopardy Club - three contestands and I.

Indoor Cricket would need tons more. Though we'd do tons of inter promotion! THAT'S IT.

We'd advertise clubs on Jeopardy! One of the categories could be like "UNSW Food Lovers Society" (an actual club) and we'd contact them - they'd pay us money so that we'd promote their club. What we'd then do is get perhaps their leader to deliver a clue - for example, "One of our favourite things to eat at the UNSW Food Lovers Society is this - which is sometimes called "Italian Ice-Cream"" (What is gelato?). And then at the end of that, me, in my best Alex Trebek voice - can say, "Thank you to ______ who is the leader of the UNSW Food Lovers Society for giving us those clues - if you're interested in joining that, email unswfoodlovers@gmail.com"

WE WIN SLYHUNTER! WE HAVE A PLAN! A GREAT PLAN! THANK YOU!

I love you. Platonically.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
No homo. =P

But we can't go on and on with the same 3 players now can we? Lots of subliminal marketing I see?

Anyway, I'm in if indoor survives. =)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's platonic love! It's like "we're friends" but... stated professionally =P

And yeah we can't have the same three players - though we'd get more response than that. That was just the bare minimum we need. And yes, lots of subliminal marketing - to get us money to hire the hall or to pay the winners. If we pay the winners. Otherwise, we could splurge on things. Heck, we could even get electronic buzzers or something like that - perhaps hire a design team to make us an actual set.

I did a Teachers Tournament at school which had... varying success. We were in the AV Room and we had about 10-15 people watching. It was a nice experience though we were horribly unorganised! Audio not working, contestants not knowing what to do, difficulties in game play... ah well. Teething. Teething.

We'll fix all those problems when we get this started!

EDIT: I still have a few games left over which we didn't use actually. Here's some of the clues and categories that never got to be played at my high school:

Ships
200: Portside and starboard denote sides of the ship – starboard denotes this side
400: This ship that sunk in 1912 that departed from Southampton would call for tighter safety regulations
600: This ancient vessel came to rest on Mt. Ararat according to ancient text – and its finding could validate 'pre-flood' history
800: In Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, it is the slaver turned pirate ship formerly known as the HMS Wicked Wench
1000: This was a class of Phoenician, Greek and Roman warship – with three rows of oars on each side

Before he was Prime Minister
400: Grew up on a dairy farm and studied an Arts degree in Asian studies – his Mandarin skills carry on even today
800: Had a hearing impairment as a child, with him still wearing a hearing aid. He loves his cricket, and is a Uni of Sydney ex-student
1200: This longest serving PM founded the Liberal Party before he was elected for a second reign in 1949
1600: His popularity soared in the 1890s after he diffused the world's first cricket riot as an umpire. He'd then put his Law degree to good use.
2000: He first went into Law and learned how to serve articles in the 1930s – unfortunately, he'd never learn how to swim.
^ I like that one.

Final Jeopardy (Word and Phrase Origins): The phrase 'mad as a hatter' originated from the use of this poisonous element that was used in the creation of felt hats.

Last edited:

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
So far no response except from me. =P

And from my experience with games, I've always been the one to land with the defect buzzer. Ah well, life goes on.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, we must wait until others stumble upon it =P

And we'd get good buzzers. We'd have tons of money to get really nice buzzers. And maybe even lights and the like!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No one's started it before because it's an American TV show that is only on Foxtel/Austar =P

That and apparently starting clubs is a biatch. But hey, I'm willing to do the paperwork.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, I'll be leading that charge.

I seriously hope no stupid Channel 7 or 9 or 10 take it up before I do and ruin the format. You cannot touch Jeopardy!'s format. You can take a game played in 1986 and it'd play exactly as the newest episodes now... heck even the ones in the 1960s in the Old Jeopardy! more or less.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So we have... two people already (because slyhunter may be joining UNSW in 2012). We may need more.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
This sounds awesome! I love the Jeopardy tv show on Austrar. I'd join your club.

Although what you have above does sound rather ambitious. Instead of a hall you could hire for free a small lecture theatre. I'd say it would be more for fun without sponsorship etc.

I got 8/11 of the above questions you put correct. Didn't know the Pirates of the Caribbean one, said Trebuchet instead of Trireme for the 2000 boat question by mistake and didn't know the 1600 cricket/pm question.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Thank God, I found another Jeopardy! fan. Us are few and far in between... only like two people at my school knew what it was. And they were teachers. /me shrugs

Yes, it is ambitious - though, we'll take it as it comes. We're not exactly sure how reception will go - and who knows, it could end up two ways: be just a small in-house competition between enthusiasts or it could be a full-blown UNSW event if it gets enough reception.

That's the beauty of having a game show kind of thing because if it "fails", you'll have a small club of people who really like it and will be happy playing a version which doesn't have "foreign" categories like American Geography =P . If it wins? Then... it wins!

But yeah, it's more for fun - we could start out with mock money and Monopoly money prizes. If however, there is a push for real money - it would have to automatically jump ten levels because we'd have to start being assigned Fair Trading people to make sure we don't rig the games. And then... FREE PUBLICITY!

I can imagine it now: "Hey, what are those guys doing here?" "Oh, some Jeopardy thing" "What's that?" "Some game show the Jeopardy Club hosts" "Jeopardy? Sounds cool. We should check it out" =P

Also, the 1600 cricket/PM clue refers to Edmund Barton =)

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Someone on my facebook, wrote about a student group called, Goonion - Student union in appreciation of cheap wine. I think this is a good group to start.

Also the jeopardy club sounds kinda cool. I love flexing my general knowledge muscle...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Cheap Wine =P

I don't think I can drink wine. I went with my parents to the Barossa Valley a few years back and they brought home a few bottles. My mother offered me a sip of a supposedly "sweet" wine and I wanted to throw up. It's horribly bitter <_< . Still, you can go start that - we could do some inter promotion with the Indoor Cricket and/or Jeopardy Clubs!

General knowledge is awesome. Jeopardy! isn't all about knowledge though you know. You have wordplay as well and random trivia. One of my favourite categories is Jeoportmanteau - two words mashed together, essentially.

Example: "Pachyderm, plus a ghost"

What is elephantom? (elephant, phantom)

Rhyme Time as well. There's lots of scope on Jeopardy. They had a category called Number Patterns a few days ago... it's not just 'Trivia' and I think that's where we'll attract some people from Trivia Nights. Because Jeopardy! is more than just knowing who the 16th PM was, or what Victoria Beckham's Spice Girl Name was. It's more broad than that.

Still, we'll see.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Because it's true.

I also notice you have a 500 Days of Summer thing in your signature. Join the club of appreciaters of that movie with Sammy2011 and myself =P

walk-the-line

HSC
I lol'd because you were so earnest about it. Like life and death.

Woo Zooey Deschannel.....plus that was the first time I'd seen Joesph Gordon Levitt in anything besides 10 Things I Hate About You

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Shadowdude said:
I don't think I can drink wine. I went with my parents to the Barossa Valley a few years back and they brought home a few bottles. My mother offered me a sip of a supposedly "sweet" wine and I wanted to throw up. It's horribly bitter
This made me lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)