• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Jim Coroneos (1 Viewer)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I obtained a copy of his textbook for the Level 1 course (4U back before 1981) and saw that he used to teach at Vaucluse High School (and was the head of maths of that school).

I found something interesting on their website; the corporal punishment book. Looks like Coroneos did his fair share of beating :p

Live long James Coroneos...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Men like Coroneos can do whatever the fuck they want.

Seriously though Coroneos, use a better font in your books.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I don't mind his font. His books are awesome. He died in 2005 though...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I know some Math classes have parties for him, to celebrate the date.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
coroneos is fucking badass. eh smacks teenage boys and uses shitty font without caring and doesnt afraid of anything

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Get things in perspective. When Coroneous published his books modern typesetting was not invented yet. In those days, there were no handheld calculators; to multiply or divide large numbers you use log tables or the slide rule. For scientific/maths publications, the best you can get for individuals and small organisations, was the IBM Selectric typewriter(does anyone know what this is? haha) with the appropriate golfball (bearing the typefaces). Only big publishers can afford the professional typesetting.

When Donald Knuth was writing a series of Computer Science textbooks he felt restricted by the existing typesetting technology. So he took time off to develop the TeX (from which you have LaTeX) and unleashed a revolution - professional typesetting widely available to the scientific/maths community worldwide. Knuth was a genius. Of course the advent of computers and now personal computers make all these possible.

I presume Jim Coroneous was, apart from being an excellent maths teacher, also an enterprising self-publisher. He did not have the resources of Addison-Wesley, John Wiley, McGraw-Hill etc. He probably did what he could with what he could get hold of. TeX was not available then. Even when available only large organisations could afford computers (mainframes, minis - no micros/PCs yet!!). He had no access to all the wonderful graphics/graphing packages that you all take for granted. So the result is the crappy terse dull boring presentation of his books.

A good idea would be to re-typeset in modern layout/fonts. I'm sure those still running the Coroneous outfit must have considered all this. But if you have a small and crowded book market (it's only NSW for heaven's sake - only a few thousand copies each year) you cannot justify that kind of investment. Besides the current syllabi for which his books are written are about to be phased out.

Those who can put up with the crappy typeface/layout, like jm01 & Slyhunter, have been richly rewarded by the excellent content.

[I have never met the man Coroneous. Out of curiosity I bought a few of his books - near new - for $1 to $3 only]

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
^Despite my criticism, with the resources he had, he was still a fucking gun to produce what he did.

RIP Coroneos

Leftleg

HSC
N/A
Jim Coroneos was a brilliant teacher who was passionate about maths and the teaching profession. While I was not taught by Jim, I was taught maths using his text books (FYI - I finished school in 1981). On the inside cover of all Jim's books (at least those he published in the late 1970' & early 1980's), Jim bravely published his home address and home phone number. In my last 2 years of high school, I availed myself of Jim's number & phoned him on over a dozen occassions. Incredibly, Jim was generous with his time (on every occassion) and was happy to discuss the more difficult maths problems I was struggling with. Vale Jim Coroneos & thank you.

HSC
hahaha omg I misread and thought Jim got beaten and so searched for names in the left column only to realise he administered all of them hha.

But yeah RIP coroneos, did such a great job. and yes all those diagrams are hand drawn and photocopied! (right?)

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
I obtained a copy of his textbook for the Level 1 course (4U back before 1981) and saw that he used to teach at Vaucluse High School (and was the head of maths of that school).

I found something interesting on their website; the corporal punishment book. Looks like Coroneos did his fair share of beating :p

Live long James Coroneos...
Hey your photos don't work anymore.

I put them here again

Punishment Book 1970.jpg
Punishment Book 1971 -1.jpg
Punishment Book 1971 -2.jpg
Punishment Book 1971 -3.jpg
Punishment Book 1971 -4.jpg
and the website you referred to, vauclusehighschool.com doesn't work anymore

also, "amount of punishment" refers to the cane, not a beating as you say.

Last edited:

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
A few interesting points:

- The administrator in 1970 before Coroneos was actually the principal and was clearly more heavy handed giving all the boys at least 4 cuts, whereas Coroneos rarely gave out 4 and never gave out 6. Here is an older one from 1960-1961 where the principal gave out 6:
6 cuts by principal.png

- Coroneos seems to have some kind of age discrimination, never giving more than 1 to 12 year old boys for any offence, but gave more to older boys for the same offence as the 12 year olds.

- Another form of discrimination was gender discrimination. Although a moot point for a boys school, the cane for girls was banned:
no cane for girls.png

- The cane for not doing homework was also banned, but some surprising offences which could get you the cane include laughing, running in corridor, talking in class, not paying attention in class

- The worst offence seems to be fighting, yet the punishment was never more than 1 cut. The boys were already hurt.

- It wasn't just teachers who would send boys for the cane, but prefects as well. So the prefects were given a high level of trust and responsibility to keep the other boys in line.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)