Job Opening for UTS Law Students. (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

santaslayer said:
That's discrimination! :p
Hahah, yes, to the guys who would have otherwise gotten the job.

*runs from all the rotten fruit and tampax.*

edit: that was a bit obscene...

santaslayer

HSC
UPDATE:

This time, a dude from UoW got the position. :p

http://media.uow.edu.au/news/2005/0314a/

UOW graduates taking on the High Court
Mar 14, 2005

A second University of Wollongong graduate has been appointed to the prestigious position of Judge's Associate to High Court Judge, Justice Michael Kirby.

James Goudkamp, a former Science/Law student, went through a gruelling selection process that involved hundreds of other aspiring graduates.

“I applied in writing and then started making my way through the interview rounds - it was like a Judicial Idol of sorts!” he said.

James will follow in the footsteps of Elisa Arcioni, also a former UOW graduate and a current lecturer in the Faculty of Law, who was Justice Kirby's Associate in 2002.

Adding further significance to this reputable role is the fact that Justice Michael Kirby is the only High Court judge who, as a matter of principle, advertises the positions each year.

Staying true to his reputation for valuing equality, Justice Kirby believes that advertising the position attracts a larger number of applicants from all over the country and not just those with links to the legal profession. This allows him to make a decision about the best applicant from a large and diverse pool.

“Everybody who has the capacity is entitled to apply,” the judge said in a speech to graduates at Southern Cross University. “I then have to go through the process of elimination. It is quite wrenching in many ways. You get to the last 15 or 20 of the applicants and any of them could do the job. I always take one male and one female Associate.”

James said that his experience as a Judge's Associate will give him a wider view of the law and act as a stepping stone to further developing his intellectual curiosity.

“Justice Kirby is one of the most capable judges in the world because he is fiercely independent and has the courage to question and challenge the law when it is discriminatory, oppressive or clearly fails to accord with contemporary national and international standards,” Mr Goudkamp said.

Justice Kirby has held numerous national and international positions including President of the Court of Appeal of the Solomon Islands, President of the International Commissions of Jurists and has been a member of the Board of CSIRO. In the 1990s Justice Kirby served as a special representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations for Human Rights in Cambodia. He is currently a member of the International Bioethics Committee of UNESCO, the Ethics Committee of the Human Genome Organisation, and the Global Panel on Human Rights of UNAIDS (the joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS).

The first six months of James's position will be based in Sydney and involve general administrative duties. He will then move to Canberra and become more involved in the judgment production process and a variety of other functions including undertaking research and locating material for Justice Kirby's speeches.

“My time at UOW has prepared me for this role - my degree provided me with an appropriate mixture of theoretical perspectives and practical training,” he said.

Justice Kirby recently spoke to a packed lecture theatre at UOW on the United Nations and International Human Rights where he discussed his role in the 'engine room' of the UN for Human Rights in Cambodia and his work in Paris on a new international declaration on bioethics.

“We have different countries, different religions and different philosophies. But we have enough in common as a species to be able to formulate general, common principles that still respect diversity," he said.

Elisa Arcioni, who completed an Arts/Law degree at UOW, has been on hand to provide James with information and tips on the year-long position.

“It's long hours and high stress, but it's also a fantastic opportunity that opens up many doors,” she said.

“Working with Justice Kirby was a wonderful experience. He knows what it feels like to be the minority and he respects each and every person regardless of race, ethnicity or class. He loves meeting people and goes beyond the role of a judge - he's so willing to give his time and advice.”

Justice Kirby's lateral and creative approach to law is something that has always inspired James and Elisa, who both said that keeping a broad perspective about the multifaceted nature of law was essential.

While they are not certain about exactly which legal path they will take, their experience working with Justice Kirby will have an invaluable and lasting impact, just as his final words did when he departed UOW a few months ago.

“Continue to be positive because, if you are negative, you can't change the world.”

-RP

Some other nerdy article about him...

http://www.uow.edu.au/student/stories/2003-10-goudkamp.html

I had him for a Foundations Law tutor. :uhhuh:

I also had the other lady...Elisa b4..forget which subject...?

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Jeez, he's cool.

He's damn cool.

Justice Kirby's like a 60-year-old, gay Fonz.

santaslayer

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
They could have offered alot less I imagine.
People would work for him for free if there was no other choice.

But you do have to appreciate the fact that they get little sleep in those 12 months. (6 of them being interstate for people who don't live in the capitol)

48 isn't a lot at all...

X

xeuyrawp

santaslayer said:
48 isn't a lot at all...
I think it is. I'd work with him if they gave me accom, food, and payed for transport.

The essay win caps off a swag of other prizes that James has won during his studies including:
God. Who says that.

santaslayer

HSC
PwarYuex said:
I think it is. I'd work with him if they gave me accom, food, and payed for transport.

God. Who says that.
LoLz...it IS from the UoW site...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Actually two UOW graduates have been appointed to this position....Elisa Arcioni a couple of years ago (who is now a lecturer in the law faculty, shes my evidence tutor) and James Goudkamp, who is the son of famous tort laywer Tom Goudkamp (hes on that add for stacks the law firm, the guy who's photo is being shredded) who is like Elisa Arcioni, a lecturer for the law faculty now...her was my tutor for criminal law last semester.

Don't know a whole heap about Elisa but James is an absolute pyscho, he was contributed to so many journals, he is seriously the smartest person I have ever met, and he doesn't sleep, just reads! Kinda sexy too in real life hehe (but he's taken, already checked that!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)