job prospects for pharmacy? (1 Viewer)

nchoy

HSC
Deltan said:
Hey i always wanted to look for part time work at a pharmacy, how do you get started??
I didnt get the chance to get work experience in yr 10 because my school was too cheap to pay for the insurance >.<
You just do a walk-in. Take your resume & walk into any pharmacy & see if they need anyone.
Where do u live?

-::Sanni::-

HSC
Deltan said:
Hey i always wanted to look for part time work at a pharmacy, how do you get started??
I didnt get the chance to get work experience in yr 10 because my school was too cheap to pay for the insurance >.<
XD This is what I did! Since I only really wanted to do pharmacy just before the HSC, after the exams I asked my career's advisor if I could do some work experience. He went on talking about how it couldn't be done coz I wasn't in school anymore and thus the school wouldn't be able to cover the insurance side of work expereince. BUT then he told me that he'd contact one of the pharmacists (he knows a lot of people in town! XD) After that I handed in my resume and cover letter to the pharmacist.

Pharmacist called me ==> some work experience ==> he offered to pay me ==> now i'm a casual employee.... XD

But yeah, you could walk in the chemist and tell them about yourself and how you are PASSIONATE about studying pharmacy....OR you could call them up. But I think the first one would be a better option. Most pharmacies, I think, aren't very busy at the moment because the whole safety net thing is over (coz it ends by the end of the year) and patients have to start again (I think this year, they need 60 scripts in order to have medicine at no cost). And there's the whole thing with the recession....that might happen..... so yeah they may be a bit hesitant in employing at the moment.

HSC
nchoy said:
HaHa, I am a very untidy person, according to my parents anyway, u dont really want me to be near u at all.
Ahaha! XD I guess I'll know the whole thing once I meet you at orientation day! (HOPEFULLY!) You'd be an interesting person to talk to! XD

nchoy

HSC
-::Sanni::- said:
XD This is what I did! Since I only really wanted to do pharmacy just before the HSC, after the exams I asked my career's advisor if I could do some work experience. He went on talking about how it couldn't be done coz I wasn't in school anymore and thus the school wouldn't be able to cover the insurance side of work expereince. BUT then he told me that he'd contact one of the pharmacists (he knows a lot of people in town! XD) After that I handed in my resume and cover letter to the pharmacist.

Pharmacist called me ==> some work experience ==> he offered to pay me ==> now i'm a casual employee.... XD

But yeah, you could walk in the chemist and tell them about yourself and how you are PASSIONATE about studying pharmacy....OR you could call them up. But I think the first one would be a better option. Most pharmacies, I think, aren't very busy at the moment because the whole safety net thing is over (coz it ends by the end of the year) and patients have to start again (I think this year, they need 60 scripts in order to have medicine at no cost). And there's the whole thing with the recession....that might happen..... so yeah they may be a bit hesitant in employing at the moment.
Your school do really look after you. You are so lucky!

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
nchoy said:
You just do a walk-in. Take your resume & walk into any pharmacy & see if they need anyone.
Where do u live?
Roselands,
i've seen some ads in the newspaper where they wanted pharmacy assistants, but mostly its for training, mainly for age under 16 wanting to work full time

I would've thought they would only take in ppl with retail experience or perhaps someone who is doing a pharm degree?

nchoy

HSC
Deltan said:
Roselands,
i've seen some ads in the newspaper where they wanted pharmacy assistants, but mostly its for training, mainly for age under 16 wanting to work full time

I would've thought they would only take in ppl with retail experience or perhaps someone who is doing a pharm degree?
No harm in just making an inquiry about it. They want someone under 16 because they do not want to pay too much, obviously.
I found it more difficult as a guy to try and get a job in pharmacy because they tend to like employing female.
I guess if u really want to do B pharm, it really would be a huge advantage to try & get a part time job in a pharmacy. I think there is an externship sometime in second or third year that we have to work in a pharmacy.

danz90

HSC
I really wanna get a job ASAP in a Pharmacy as a Junior Pharmacy Assistant. I've been looking around, but have seen openings for Junior Pharmacy Assistants only in Bondi Junction and Nth Paramatta, which are too far for me.

Deltan, in which areas were the pharmacist jobs?

nchoy

HSC
danz90 said:
I really wanna get a job ASAP in a Pharmacy as a Junior Pharmacy Assistant. I've been looking around, but have seen openings for Junior Pharmacy Assistants only in Bondi Junction and Nth Paramatta, which are too far for me.

Danz, where about do u live? I do know someone who may be looking for a pharmacy assistant. ( No gurantee )

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
danz90 said:

there's one at padstow, but that's for under 16's

and the other is looking for pharm retail assistance with no exp required, only mention of contact detail, no location

danz90

HSC
Deltan said:
there's one at padstow, but that's for under 16's

and the other is looking for pharm retail assistance with no exp required, only mention of contact detail, no location
Thanks. :)

I should buy the paper every day from now on and have a look.
I check seek.com.au every now and then.

I've given my resume to Chemist Warehouse (its not actually a warehouse lol) at Hurstville Westfield. The manager/pharmacist in charge told me that at the moment they are quite full (I applied a couple weeks before Christmas), but when I told him I'll be doing Pharmacy @ USyd next year, he told me to give them a call when I start, because apparently they're always hiring 1st Year Pharmacy students.

danz90

HSC
nchoy said:
Danz, where about do u live? I do know someone who may be looking for a pharmacy assistant. ( No gurantee )
I'm in Hurstville area. :)

danz90

HSC
nchoy said:
That would be too far. The shop is in St Ives
Aww never mind.
Do you think just handing in resumes to local pharmacies is my best shot?

nchoy

HSC
danz90 said:
Aww never mind.
Do you think just handing in resumes to local pharmacies is my best shot?
Yeh, I think so. I have seen a lot of ppl getting their jobs that way. And the good thing is you have a chance to look at the pharmacy before hand & decide whether u really want to work there.

danz90

HSC
Deltan said:
oh wow, i'm surprised you didnt go to my school

do you attend hurstville boys? lol
Nah, I went to James Cook Boys' Technology High.

So, are you going to end up doing BPharm? Is it your 1st Pref?

erm

HSC
danz90 said:
Nah, I went to James Cook Boys' Technology High.

So, are you going to end up doing BPharm? Is it your 1st Pref?
You must've been the dux. From what I hear that school is pretty shit. (no offence!)

danz90

HSC
erm said:
You must've been the dux. From what I hear that school is pretty shit. (no offence!)
Yeah, I was lol.

The staff there are great! Especially Science faculty.
The student cohort isn't of great quality though.

HSC
nchoy said:
Your school do really look after you. You are so lucky!
Yeah, the teachers put in HEAPS of effort. They're SO nice. Plus our year was really small (less than 30 students! XD Chem class = 3, Maths class = 4 XD) and so the teacher's could concentrate their efforts on each student, which was awesome! It's just the students who don't put much effort... -_- None of the kids tried really hard for the HSC year...which made me not wanna try that hard either *sigh* I guess sometimes a bit of competition is good...

OMG! I had really bad marks last year. I mean REALLY bad marks but I got first in all of my classes for the half yearly's and the finals. And I ended up getting the highest HSC mark in the school....which made me feel like crud because I didn't try that hard >_< It was so embarrassing at presentation night. >_<

BUT now I've learnt my lesson: To succeed wholly in one's goals, one must put in a GREAT deal of effort....or one feels like crud when one achieves goals without putting much effort! -_-

nchoy

HSC
-::Sanni::- said:
Yeah, the teachers put in HEAPS of effort. They're SO nice. Plus our year was really small (less than 30 students! XD Chem class = 3, Maths class = 4 XD) and so the teacher's could concentrate their efforts on each student, which was awesome! It's just the students who don't put much effort... -_- None of the kids tried really hard for the HSC year...which made me not wanna try that hard either *sigh* I guess sometimes a bit of competition is good...

OMG! I had really bad marks last year. I mean REALLY bad marks but I got first in all of my classes for the half yearly's and the finals. And I ended up getting the highest HSC mark in the school....which made me feel like crud because I didn't try that hard >_< It was so embarrassing at presentation night. >_<

BUT now I've learnt my lesson: To succeed wholly in one's goals, one must put in a GREAT deal of effort....or one feels like crud when one achieves goals without putting much effort! -_-
Like I said, u are SOOOOO lucky!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)