Jobs for socially awkward people (1 Viewer)

Neil.

HSC
N/A
22, unemployed, socially awkward/retarded. Any suggestions?

I started a thread a few months ago asking about telemarketing jobs, but after thinking about it, I really don't think I can do that. I'm just not good with talking to people, I can barely put my thoughts into spoken words, it's like my mind turns off or slows down when I'm talking to people. But I have no problem writing this up because I have time to think and correct myself as needed. I don't want to write an essay, but to put it short, I experience anxiety in many social situations. It's not just talking to people, but being around people, especially groups of people or people I don't know. Even being on trains/public transport. I guess social anxiety would be a better way to describe or define it.

Is there any hope for me lol? Warehouse job maybe?

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
you can take a variety of drugs to treat social anxiety

they work wonders and will turn you into an outgoing and overly touchy feely person

they block out the parts in your brain that trigger anxiety etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anxiolytic

i've been experimenting with benzodiazepines lately, not for social anxiety though, just to get high

but they do make me very talkative and chatty and i'll usually have no hesitation to talk to people when i'm on them (i'm usually quite quiet and reserved)

HSC
Uni Grad
if this is a serious problem you can go see a psychiatrist and if they see that it's seriously affecting your life (as you've described) then they can start you on benzos like clonazepam/valium/xanax etc.

there are also non-prescription over-the-counter alternatives, you may be able to find phenibut in some health food stores, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenibut

i ordered some online the other day so it should arrive today or tomorrow, apparently it has effects similar to valium and GHB, http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f56/phenibut-84136/

again, i'm taking these to get high but i'll report on behavioural effects when i try it tonight

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
you can take a variety of drugs to treat social anxiety
hahhah fucking hell

Being 22 and unemployed in itself will make it difficult to be employed OP. Being that age, it's more difficult to get entry into unskilled labour since a lot of places base their wages by age. Have you ever tried treating your anxiety? Does exposure help alleviate it in any way (talking over a lengthier term)?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I had pretty ridiculous social anxiety when i was younger, meds are a band aid and just make you feel more retarded in the long term.

The only way i got over it was forced exposure once i started uni, made myself start doing all the shit i had always avoided, got a retail job, took up leadership/public speaking volunteer positions etc.

It's not for everyone and at times i was terrified, but apart from the odd bout of self doubt i'm pretty much over it now. You might even find that you enjoy and are good at social interaction, that was the part i found really shocking.

Last edited:

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
There are some jobs that you may be better suited for - things like working out the back of stores (eg in retail putting stickers on and clothes onto racks etc), or warehouse positions. Maybe even database work that doesn't require calling anyone. A number of companies offer 1 or 2 day stocktake roles in the middle of the year where you're just counting things (and often don't interview for these roles)

Perhaps admin in a small work environment without many people?

I suspect you'll have some trouble getting past an interview if you struggle in social situations. If it is that serious and you don't want to go down the meds route, then CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) with a psychologist can often be effective over the long term (though most effective when in conjunction with pills).

If you just need cash in the short-term, online surveys can work except there are a LOT of dodgy organisations out there.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Just become a shelf stacker.

HSC
best job: buy bulk sell on ebay. Create an online store. I did this last year for school holidays and made $1000. Basically i bought bulk opi nail polishes and sold them on ebay for about $15 each.

HSC
warehouse jobs aren't bad if you're looking to avoid interaction

if i wanted to, it was very easy to avoid talking to pretty much everyone at my last warehouse job (but that would be pretty fucking boring)

MUSE13

HSC
Uni Grad
22, unemployed, socially awkward/retarded. Any suggestions?

I started a thread a few months ago asking about telemarketing jobs, but after thinking about it, I really don't think I can do that. I'm just not good with talking to people, I can barely put my thoughts into spoken words, it's like my mind turns off or slows down when I'm talking to people. But I have no problem writing this up because I have time to think and correct myself as needed. I don't want to write an essay, but to put it short, I experience anxiety in many social situations. It's not just talking to people, but being around people, especially groups of people or people I don't know. Even being on trains/public transport. I guess social anxiety would be a better way to describe or define it.

Is there any hope for me lol? Warehouse job maybe?
most jobs require some level of socal interaction.. although there are few jobs such as working at a factory or warehouse or even a clearner as you said which don't requre you to talk much however that aside, (from what you said) you seem to have some mesfected some from social phobia, which you should get treated as if it not treated it can cause you a lot of distress and interfear with your life.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
go to parties and bars and shit and get out of your comfort zone. you'll learn to adapt to social settings and be mroe comfortable around other people.

but in the meantime..

if you want to work in an office = data entry
if you want to work outdoors = construction/labourer

you still have a good chance at getting a job at 22. look for some job ads on seek and apply.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are socially awkward, your odds of getting a job that suits you is significantly limited. Trying to get a job that suits you isn't going to help you - doing this is like patching a broken table with sticky tape. It's a temporary solution but in the long run, it's doing you no good.

Chopper_261087

HSC
Have to sympathise with OP, I used to be the same way (and in some ways Im still terrified/hate being around people). In saying that my first job was taking orders at Oporto. Easy as anything because you're told what to say and it trains you in social interaction. I've had about 3 or 4 jobs that didn't have to deal with clients directly (and even then, over e-mail).

Online Business
Real Time Sports Information Scout
Mystery Shopper
Warehouse Assistant at JB
Newspaper Run

All of them were fairly decently paying jobs. 6 hours of Newspaper Run and Scouting 2 games a week for a Sports data company had me earning $350 on its own

Last edited:

Neil.

HSC
N/A
Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated.

I've been seeing a psychologist since last November, but it's not really helping. Hoping to try CBT soon and I think I might be receiving a call from an anxiety clinic in Parramatta next friday. I haven't been put on medication yet, but I've tried various supplements, namely vitamin B3 (in the form of niacinamide), vitamin B5 (in the form of pantothenic acid), vitamin B6 (in the form of pyridoxal-5-phosphate), vitamin B complex, vitamin B12 (in the form of methylcobalamin), L-theanine, Glycine, GABA, L-tryptophan, magnesium, zinc, vitamin D3, vitamin C megadose, branched chain amino acids. I've tried these all over a long period of time and not all at once.

I've been looking through Seek, but I can barely find any jobs that don't require experience. All the warehouse positions I've found also seem to require previous experience. Is there any other site that I could try looking for jobs that don't require experience? Or would it be better if I just look through the classifieds in the daily telegraph?

For now I've applied for a night fill position at Woolworths online and I've specified that I can work at Burwood/Strathfield/North Strathfield/Homebush and that I'm available full time.

Last edited:

Tasteless

HSC
Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated.

I've been seeing a psychologist since last November, but it's not really helping. Hoping to try CBT soon and I think I might be receiving a call from an anxiety clinic in Parramatta next friday. I haven't been put on medication yet, but I've tried various supplements, namely vitamin B3 (in the form of niacinamide), vitamin B5 (in the form of pantothenic acid), vitamin B6 (in the form of pyridoxal-5-phosphate), vitamin B complex, vitamin B12 (in the form of methylcobalamin), L-theanine, Glycine, GABA, L-tryptophan, magnesium, zinc, vitamin D3, vitamin C megadose, branched chain amino acids. I've tried these all over a long period of time and not all at once.

I've been looking through Seek, but I can barely find any jobs that don't require experience. All the warehouse positions I've found also seem to require previous experience. Is there any other site that I could try looking for jobs that don't require experience? Or would it be better if I just look through the classifieds in the daily telegraph?

For now I've applied for a night fill position at Woolworths online and I've specified that I can work at Burwood/Strathfield/North Strathfield/Homebush and that I'm available full time.
I looked through seek for years and found the same thing, the positions I were eligible and did apply for, I never heard back about.

3rd job i applied for in the DT i got (fruit picking, good for what you're after too but may not suit depending on where you live). I recently got the job and im 21 and it's my first, you just need to keep at it.
Good luck.

Also I've applied for nightfill and regular customer service at coles and woollies and kept them updated every 6 months for the past 3 years, I've had one interview at coles in all that time, there are so many people seeking work right now (again depending on area) jobs are really fucking hard to come by for those without any experience.

I'm pretty much the same re: bad at / dislike talking to people (generally) as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)