Jodi Picoult (1 Viewer)

bleu

HSC
lizziegirl said:
i agree with the other poster, she tends to annoy me and she seems to write cliches or soppy sentences at the end of every chapter of My Sisters Keeper. her ideas are good, its just the way that she expresses herself that pisses me off.
i totally agree.

My view of her writing has changed. I now can't stand her lol. i couldn't stand reading beyond a chapter of nineteen minutes. It felt unrealistic and corny...

kiiZza91

HSC
hello, i have read

the pact
vanishing acts
songs of the humback whale

but the best one i have read so far is 19 minutes
you must read it . it keeps you on edge the whole time and it has so many twists

w00dy.

HSC
well since i last posted in this forum i have read;

my sisters keeper
perfect match
tenth cirlce
nineteen minutes
&
the pact

i have to admit picoult's writing does show alot of research and thought into the plots etc, but her style seems repetitive in a way, but i guess thats why many as continually drawn to her books. i would recommend her to anyone that hasnt read any of her books before, but i wouldnt go as far as saying read every single book she has written thus far, simply because i think the more we adapt or get used to her style of writing (i.e the continual change in perspectives and such) the more we become desensitised and even removed from the novel at hand.

with that said, i still think she is a good author and id have to say nineteen minutes is a favourite thus far.

miss-smexy

HSC
My sister's keeper wasn't that great. I like The Pact and Nineteen Minutes better.

elfyem

HSC
im just about to finish Plain Truth, i was reccomended it by my religion teacher after i showed an interest in other non widley known religions. I'm about to start my Sisters Keeper and The Pact but Big W is the only non overpriced place.

HSC
i've read my sister's keeper which was great and i recently, like two days ago, finished the pact which was probably one of the best books i have ever read. It was so engaging. This week i also finished change of heart which was ok but it was a bit too philosophical and a lot of the book was about religion and i didn't understand a lot of it but it was still an interesting book. I own second glance but i haven't read it. Hope its good :D

likenino1234

HSC
hey i love jodi piccoult books. i could read them all day if i had the chance to. i have read only a few but hope to read them all after the HSC.
i have read:
-my sisters keeper- and cried
-the pact
- heart of hearts or something like that
and a few others cant exactly remember the titles

kony

HSC
I've only read Salem Falls, but it wasn't a great book I thought.

Maybe a movie...

4unitfreak

HSC
I've read:
Vanishing Acts
My Sister's Keeper
The Tenth Circle
Nineteen Minutes

I have The Pact and Plain Truth on my bookshelf but haven't read them yet. My favourite so far is definitely Nineteen Minutes.

HSC
Uni Grad
My sister's keeper was really heart wrenching, if you liked it, I recommend Change of Heart, captivated me with the blurb almost immediately.

"Would you give up your vengeance against someone you hate, if it meant saving someone you love? Would you want your dreams to come true, if it meant granting your enemy's dying wish?"

TAnd you've read the Pact, right? Sorry, forgot.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
i want to read my sister's keeper and 19 minutes after hsc

i read the tenth circle.. picoult writes beautifully

*Baby-K*

HSC
I am reading Picture Perfect at the moment and it's beautiful

I thought Harvesting the Heart was really good too- a little different from her usual court room investigation

mandathepanda

HSC
I've read My Sister's Keeper (undoubtedly her best in my opinion), Change of Heart , Plain Truth and Harvesting the Heart.I want to read Nineteen Minutes after the HSC.

I found Harvesting the Heart rather frustrating from time to time, and the ending I thought was a little ambiguous -is it just me or is it unclear if Paige gets back together with Nicholas? But nevertheless still a brilliant book.

maiko

the maikoman
HSC
Hi all. I'm new to the Jodi Picoult arena, and I started with her latest novel-CHANGE OF HEART which just absolutely blew me away. It's been recommended to me by a friend, and now I recommend it to everyone. I think what's best about it is that despite the seriousness and intimate issues she explores, Picoult never fails to add humour and comedic moments, ohhh especially from MAGGIE'S pov:lol: (God love her! made me laugh endless times)

OK, OK SO BEFORE YOU ALL SHUT ME DOWN AND SAY, "Blah blah blah. You're boring." *YAWNS*, HERE'S THE REAL REASON WHY I LOVED THE BOOK: What's made it more brilliant- specially for me as a HSC student- is that it's made me see how the stuff and subjects we're learning in class actually ARE (in a way-and mind you, at this stage, any way counts) useful in the real world. Lol you've probably figured by now that yes, I'm one of those who ask 'when the f*ck am i ever going to use integration and differentiation in the real world?! its not like im going to go up to buy asian food during happy hour and start integrating to calculate the twenii dola im going to pay for my 10 take away boxes, am i?!' (dooont worry, i am asian myself:argue: ), and ahh yes, one who also thinks that English is just a mere So You Think You Can Bullshit? competition. *bash*

But anyhoo, I seriously surprised myself as I sat there :read:-ing the book and just- :eek:!!!! OMG look, its the dude i doodled on in my Religion book! What's his face...ummm...yes!...Maimonides! Pikuah Nefesh! Oh, oh look! Mitigating and aggravating circumstances! Oh, I never thought I'd live to see this day! *faints*

Plus!, it's soooo good and sooo universal that I used it as an ORT for both my "imaginative journeys" extended response, and my "telling the truth" module. i know, i know.. i said English can go die, but meh, i gots to do what i gots to do;) it helps ALOT if u talk about things that you're passionate about..gets u "into it" and before you know it, VIOLA! u have out-bullshitted the rest!:lol:

.: I give it ten thumbs up. :D

Last edited:
B

bekmay

maiko said:
Hi all. I'm new to the Jodi Picoult arena, and I started with her latest novel-CHANGE OF HEART which just absolutely blew me away. It's been recommended to me by a friend, and now I recommend it to everyone. I think what's best about it is that despite the seriousness and intimate issues she explores, Picoult never fails to add humour and comedic moments, ohhh especially from MAGGIE'S pov:lol: (God love her! made me laugh endless times)

OK, OK SO BEFORE YOU ALL SHUT ME DOWN AND SAY, "Blah blah blah. You're boring." *YAWNS*, HERE'S THE REAL REASON WHY I LOVED THE BOOK: What's made it more brilliant- specially for me as a HSC student- is that it's made me see how the stuff and subjects we're learning in class actually ARE (in a way-and mind you, at this stage, any way counts) useful in the real world. Lol you've probably figured by now that yes, I'm one of those who ask 'when the f*ck am i ever going to use integration and differentiation in the real world?! its not like im going to go up to buy asian food during happy hour and start integrating to calculate the twenii dola im going to pay for my 10 take away boxes, am i?!' (dooont worry, i am asian myself:argue: ), and ahh yes, one who also thinks that English is just a mere So You Think You Can Bullshit? competition. *bash*

But anyhoo, I seriously surprised myself as I sat there :read:-ing the book and just- :eek:!!!! OMG look, its the dude i doodled on in my Religion book! What's his face...ummm...yes!...Maiamonides! Pikuah Nefesh! Oh, oh look! Mitigating and aggravating circumstances! Oh, I never thought I'd live to see this day! *faints*

Plus!, it's soooo good and sooo universal that I used it as an ORT for both my "imaginative journeys" extended response, and my "telling the truth" module. i know, i know.. i said English can go die, but meh, i gots to do what i gots to do;) it helps ALOT if u talk about things that you're passionate about..gets u "into it" and before you know it, VIOLA! u have out-bullshitted the rest!:lol:

.: I give it ten thumbs up. :D
hahha you're crazy.
i've only read the pact and i absolutely hated the way it ended... but thought it was really good.

maiko

the maikoman
HSC
ohh and yess, i bought my sister's keeper today and i am expecting it to be as good as everyone has promised it to be. :D

maiko

the maikoman
HSC
bekmay said:
hahha you're crazy.
i've only read the pact and i absolutely hated the way it ended... but thought it was really good.
lol! how fast the internet works! haha yes, i do agree that i am crazy...to an extent. lol. i wanna read the pact too! its what im getting after sister's keeper and 19 minutes.. its interesting though that The Pact is one of her oldest books (1994 from memory...correct me if i'm wrong) ...feels so primitive but its still being read by modern people like us..lol...well judging from the posts above, many people have read it... hmmm.. makes you think.. lol

B

bekmay

maiko said:
lol! how fast the internet works! haha yes, i do agree that i am crazy...to an extent. lol. i wanna read the pact too! its what im getting after sister's keeper and 19 minutes.. its interesting though that The Pact is one of her oldest books (1994 from memory...correct me if i'm wrong) ...feels so primitive but its still being read by modern people like us..lol...well judging from the posts above, many people have read it... hmmm.. makes you think.. lol
LOL. 1994 is primitive? hahah... i have no idea so i will take your word for it. i have all those books sitting in my bookcase but haven't picked them up yet. i think i might once exams are all over =]

maiko

the maikoman
HSC
bekmay said:
LOL. 1994 is primitive? hahah... i have no idea so i will take your word for it. i have all those books sitting in my bookcase but haven't picked them up yet. i think i might once exams are all over =]
hahaha! 1994 is quite waaay back there *swishes hand in a backward motion*.. 14 years ago is quite a lengthy amount of time.. ok so maybe not primitive (cuz that's kinda saying that I'M primitive as well LOL)... hmmm, maybe you'd rather..vintage? :cool: lol

ahh, yess i have this aim to have read a certain amount of books before i die... once the exams are done im gonna be well on my way in constructing that library of mine. lol, pardon my stupidity.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)