John's 08 (1 Viewer)

amy236

HSC
hey all.. i know there's been a thread started for burgmann first years so i thought i would do the same for johns! for the record, i'm amy, i'm 18 and i'm doing the bachelor of arts (international relations).

Evilo

HSC
WOOT! A johns thread. Johns is great and alot ofpeople from BOS are coming here too! I'm a second year Johns boy and if you've got any questions post here or pm me :).

I've already pm-ed most of you the complete o-week schedule, but here it is
RA said:
------ Preliminary O-Week Schedule------

SUNDAY
Day:
John XXIII--- RA Blokes Pump Iron prior to First Year Girl Arrival. RA Girls fix hair and paint faces prior to First Year Blokes Arrival. First Years Arrive & Move in – RA Carries Bags RA + SR Introduction and speech about College ‘Rules’

Night:
John XXIII--- BIG Splash Water Park : Non-Alchoholic

MONDAY
Day:
John XXIII--- More administrative speeches & first yr kids enrol in courses.
ANUSA--- O-Week Launch – Union Court
Free stuff, lots of giveaways, showbags ets. Opportunity to tour campus and hear about the upcoming weeks festivities.

Night:
John XXIII--- Corridor Dinners.
Introduction to Tav and Moose – first night of getting loose in the Tav, as well as some sort of introduction to the culture of Johns (the RA might be doing some skits or a Video or Something). We then take the long, but well trodden path to the Holy Place….
ANUSA--- Bright and Tight Bar crawl

TUESDAY
Day:
John XXIII--- Driving around First Years to Get Hawaiian Stuff. Lunch Time dress-up and announcement for Bar crawl.
ANUSA--- Buzz Monkey Carni Day:

• Rodeo Bull
• Free Buzz Monkey
• Giveaways
• Jumping Castle
• Rides
• Gladiator Wall

Free stuff makes people happy, and happy people drink!

Night:
John XXIII--- Hawaiian Bar Crawl: starting at Tav/Uni House. Need pinapples to make people scull.
ANUSA--- Rubix Cube Party - TBA

WEDNESDAY
Day:
John XXIII--- Nothing, more tuning of first years.
ANUSA--- Market Day: Huge day that first years should definitely get to, lots of free stuff, sign-ups for clubs etc.
• VODAFONE LIVE in the Beer Garden: My pick for O-Week, sponsored by Vodafone, with some wicked acts this should be ideal for Johns Kids, new and old, and definaetly one to be taken advantage of!

Night:
John XXIII--- Tav to start.
ANUSA--- Burgmat’s Toga Night & Mooseheads After-party (but venue TBA)

THURSDAY
Day:
John XXIII--- FANTASY Island – sponsored by DARTS, price TBA but around $40?
ANUSA--- FANTASY.

Night:
John XXIII--- Room for a good johns in-house event… …maybe our first official Tav night or traffic light.
ANUSA--- Band Night @ unibar, $25 per head, but could be worthwhile.

FRIDAY
Day:
John XXIII--- Nothing as of yet (will organize this pro-wk)
ANUSA--- Comedy in the Court: Will Anderson as well as local talent.

Night:
John XXIII--- ANU BALL – Wicked 80’s party fun $50 p.h
ANUSA--- ANU BALL.

SATURDAY
Day:
John XXIII--- Out-The-Back DAY
ANUSA--- Doesn’t matter, nothing can be as good as OTB day.

Night:
John XXIII--- RSL Kick-on and eventual shift to civic
ANUSA--- TBA.
Hoep thsi helps guys
EDIT - Im doing a bachelor of science (geology) and i've completed all SRES and GEOL (now EMSC) subjects.

bikapika

HSC
i went to johns on its open day the tour guy was so nice he even introduced some actuarial students to me as back then i was interest in actuarial students lol hope u have fun down there

ambrose1

HSC
hi guys
i'll be starting at johns this year doing my second year of Commerce/Economics. i'd like to get an idea of what the daily life of a john's resident invloves. are all the people heaps keen students or is there a range of academic abilities? do most people have part time jobs? how much sport is there available to participate in? will i be able to catch sporting events on tv or are people usually to busy for that sort of thing? does the constant noise make sleeping difficult? and how good is college life, i mean are there any times where you have felt lonely/bored/unfulfilled or is there just always something to do?
thanks.

Evilo

HSC
Welcome mate, as ive said 100 times lol

i'd like to get an idea of what the daily life of a john's resident invloves. are all the people heaps keen students or is there a range of academic abilities?
A range, from Die hard HD students, to people who would rather have a night out.

do most people have part time jobs?
I'd say about half 1/2 to half of johns would - probably 1 or 2 shifts a week

how much sport is there available to participate in?
So much
IB, volleyball, Hockey, rugby, Cricket, road relay, tennis, table tennis... just brainstorming - and theres more to choose.

will i be able to catch sporting events on tv or are people usually to busy for that sort of thing?
yes, the tv can be booked - priority is also given to sporting events without a booking.

does the constant noise make sleeping difficult?
Not really, no noise after 10pm. After that you tell them to STFU. After that you call duty tutor and discipline occurs :p

and how good is college life
fabulous

, i mean are there any times where you have felt lonely/bored/unfulfilled
thats never happened.

or is there just always something to do?
yes

thanks.
no probs :)
any questions (as usual) give me a buzz, via pm or here or whatever :)

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Hi guys, I may be going to John XXIII. :) After the second round offers, I might go to a different uni though. Not sure. Still, residential college life is the biggest thing I'll regret if I don't go to ANU.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Not to be a dream killer but, Even if you do go to ANU given some of the chat on the ANU thread so far you'd probably be strugling to get into on campus housing anyway, especially johns who have one of the most popular student residences at ANU apparently (even people who have johns as first preference with a first round offer dont always get in). also i'm not sure but i don't think second/late round offers carry the same accomodation guarantee as first round offers.

I wonder if i would increase my chances of getting into johns if i apply from now? lol.

Evilo

HSC
I think you misread his post - schmeag had already done interviews etc and had been accepted into johns. But hes passed up the offer for another uni *tear*

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
i took it more as he was still considering ANU and one of the major draws was college life, although upon rereading i see he's looking at a second round offer from a different uni as the alternative i just presumed he hadn't yet secured a place at johns.

Evilo

HSC
fair enough, im not ripping into you or anything. just i had been speaking to him on msn
peace :)

shota

HSC
Hey I'm Shota and I'm starting my Commerce/Asian Studies degree this year and I'm staying at Johns.

Whats the recommended day to move in to Johns? I'm planning to come on the 17th but I have a mate who's moving in on the 15th or 16th so I have no idea.

Thanks

ambrose1

HSC
shota- i'm pretty sure most people would get their on Sunday arvo, maybe a current resident could give you a more accurate answer.

i was just wondering has anybody recieved any correspondence from johns (i.e. welcome email, info pack) apart from the offer of accomodation?

would it be worthwhile to bring your own suit?

Evilo

HSC
move in on the day they tell you on the forms, i advise against moving in later unless you can't help it - i cant remember if it was sat or sun. but we got told

yes bring your suit if you have one :)

apple2

HSC
Hey, can someone explain to me in simple terms (for my lack of computer knowledge-ness) exactly how it works with using the internet at johns. I'm going to be having my own computer in my room, so I'm assuming I have to pay for the internet but how much? Is there a limit to downloads and that kind of thing and what happens if you go over that limit? Is it wireless? Do you also have to pay to use the internet in the computer labs at Johns? And what about if you use the internet at the library?
Thanks heaps.:)

Evilo

HSC
sure mate, ill help you out.
**In your room** - Johns works on a prepay system (this is standard across all colleges). Go to the front office, put on money (may need to pay a 'connection fee' for the 1st time. You then use software that you download for free from anu, plug in your password/username (make sure you've got your comp plugged into the wall) and off you go ;)
Internet is charged at 2.5c/mb.
The internet in your room is not wireless - is hardwired into the wall.
**Comp labs** - Computer labs are free and run on ANU's internet quota system. The details of that are here - http://information.anu.edu.au/daisy/infoservices/8/25/263.html
10mb increase a day, max 80mb.
Johns labs are 'anu owned' labs, so they run on the same system as the library.

Any more questions, send them through.
Regards Evil-O

Evilo

HSC
aha no problems.

I dunno about you, but i'm looking forward to Johns o-week already. You guys are going to have a great time. :D

shota

HSC
How do people play games on the net? Do they use their own quote or is there a way to make this free? I was hoping to play my ps3 online but this might make it difficult..?

Evilo

HSC
sugar, i have no idea? I have heard of quite a few people playing lan games, but unsure about online (and wouldn't it rape your internet quota anyway?)
I'll ask my mate who has a ps3 tonight, see what he says ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)