joining club (1 Viewer)

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Two questions basically..
Since last year I've felt down about my social life at uni, second semester improved slightly, but as the new year is beginning I am starting to feel crap again since I don't have any common class with old friends, and some friends I met last semester does different major:(, and so far I haven't been able to make new friends (social life is really getting to me T.T). Anyway, I want to really do something about it and not be miserable so I am considering joining clubs and societies.
I am looking for something laidback where there might be weekly meeting for card game or boardgame or whatnot, wondering if anyone can give me some recommendations. To be honest I don't have any strong interest in a specific subject, so bike club, film club ..etc. is probably not for me.
I found the gameplayers society and sent an email which bounced :angry:and there aren't any other contact info, so if anyone know about this club please tell me.

And secondly I am wondering does joining clubs really help? One fear I have is that clubs will be like lecture/tutorial room where there are predetermined cliques and I will be alone even if I join it. I know I sound childish but uni social life have really been pushing my life to a nadir for the past year, I thought things would be back to normal by now but sadly no, and I don't want things to continue to be this way.

anyway sorry for the repetitive depressing threads, and thanks to anyone who read it.

Last edited:

dawdlex3

HSC
Aww, cheer up!
Honestly I don't think clubs are very useful for improving your social life.
You could try taking initiatives in catching up with your 'old friends' and keep up the friendships.
Best of luck =)

simon2004

Hi chewy123,

Actually I and so many others have made their best friends at uni through clubs. Clubs are really important.

For instance the debating society and the circus society both run monday night meetings where you learn to debate and learn circus skills respectively. They are also really fun.

Revues (comedy, theatrical, musical sketch shows) are heaps of fun and really intense too for the cast. There are so many different ways to help in a Revue, something for everyone.

Spocksoc runs weekly/fortnightly sci-fi movie screenings.

To be honest the best place to ask these questions about life at uni is not here but at CONTACT Information/Referral Service (which is run by students):
Arc CONTACT
You should go to CONTACT and say hi and get proper answers there.

You have probably already found the clubs list - here it is in case you haven't yet
Arc Club List
If the Gameplayers email doesn't work email clubs@arc.unsw.edu.au as they can track down the problem.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Two questions basically..
Since last year I've felt down about my social life at uni, second semester improved slightly, but as the new year is beginning I am starting to feel crap again since I don't have any common class with old friends, and some friends I met last semester does different major:(, and so far I haven't been able to make new friends (social life is really getting to me T.T). Anyway, I want to really do something about it and not be miserable so I am considering joining clubs and societies.
I am looking for something laidback where there might be weekly meeting for card game or boardgame or whatnot, wondering if anyone can give me some recommendations. To be honest I don't have any strong interest in a specific subject, so bike club, film club ..etc. is probably not for me.
I found the gameplayers society and sent an email which bounced :angry:and there aren't any other contact info, so if anyone know about this club please tell me.

And secondly I am wondering does joining clubs really help? One fear I have is that clubs will be like lecture/tutorial room where there are predetermined cliques and I will be alone even if I join it. I know I sound childish but uni social life have really been pushing my life to a nadir for the past year, I thought things would be back to normal by now but sadly no, and I don't want things to continue to be this way.

anyway sorry for the repetitive depressing threads, and thanks to anyone who read it.
I wrote a long response that somehow got deleted so I'll just tell you something using only 2 words.

Keep Trying.
wow what a loser
Everyone starts from somewhere.

Hi chewy123,

Actually I and so many others have made their best friends at uni through clubs. Clubs are really important.

For instance the debating society and the circus society both run monday night meetings where you learn to debate and learn circus skills respectively. They are also really fun.

Revues (comedy, theatrical, musical sketch shows) are heaps of fun and really intense too for the cast. There are so many different ways to help in a Revue, something for everyone.

Spocksoc runs weekly/fortnightly sci-fi movie screenings.

To be honest the best place to ask these questions about life at uni is not here but at CONTACT Information/Referral Service (which is run by students):
Arc CONTACT
You should go to CONTACT and say hi and get proper answers there.

You have probably already found the clubs list - here it is in case you haven't yet
Arc Club List
If the Gameplayers email doesn't work email clubs@arc.unsw.edu.au as they can track down the problem.

You sound like someone from ARC?

Debating society sounds like its full of knowledgeable but still useless arts students and overpretentious law students? Still, why bother joining the debating society when there are so many opportunities in the law faculty to speak utter bullshit for up to 20 mins at at time.

CircusSoc is full of fucking weirdos. Look out for the guy who never seems to wear a t-shirt flinging shit around and you'll know its them.

And wrong, best place to ask questions about uni life is here because I will most likely give you a blunt and honest opinion of the ups and downs of unilife that you won't hear anywhere else.

CONTACT is only good for directions. And free condoms. Nothing else.

And the Gameplayers email doesn't work because it probably no longer exists.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I wrote a long response that somehow got deleted so I'll just tell you something using only 2 words.

Keep Trying.
Damn...well thanks anyway.

I've been trying a lot harder this semester than the last two...but the same problem..meeting 1-2 people here and there, very "dry" relationships, everyone seem to have a high school network or uni network. Hope things improve soon..

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Damn...well thanks anyway.

I've been trying a lot harder this semester than the last two...but the same problem..meeting 1-2 people here and there, very "dry" relationships, everyone seem to have a high school network or uni network. Hope things improve soon..
Law faculty is a shit place to make friends.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Law faculty is a shit place to make friends.
That's debatable, but I'm tending towards an "agree" for most first years. Chewy, come join AnimeSoc, it's the only society I've actually joined up to this year (and admittedly my first at UNSW). They have gaming sessions for Wii/PS3/Xbox coming up soon :DDDDD

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Thanks tehazn, I will send them an email.:) I've recently joined chess club too.

talkid, I sort of agree, but to be honest I find it a problem even in the asb (though less severe). I guess I am used to having a group of laidback, easy going close friends in high school, at unsw it seems like all are selective school elites/internationals and it's extraordinarily hard to fit in the crowd. Even when I listen to groups of people talking near me I find their relationship uncomfortably "professional". During high school i thought i was the mature one, now..admittedly, i feel childish. sorry for another vent..

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
talkid, I sort of agree, but to be honest I find it a problem even in the asb (though less severe). I guess I am used to having a group of laidback, easy going close friends in high school, at unsw it seems like all are selective school elites/internationals and it's extraordinarily hard to fit in the crowd. Even when I listen to groups of people talking near me I find their relationship uncomfortably "professional". During high school i thought i was the mature one, now..admittedly, i feel childish. sorry for another vent..
You really need to keep trying. Because it just gets harder as you all get older.

I remember my first year days.

I was incredibly sociable. Infact, I was so out there that I didn't realise how capable I was at it. I joined a few worthwhile clubs, did some extra-curriculars activities such as going to Auckland for a uni trip, etc.

Nowadays, I'll only talk to you if I know who you are beforehand or I have to do an assignment with you. People get less-willing to step out again and put themselves through the prospect of making more friends in later years.

Especially when you're on the verge of graduating, then such an activity seems somewhat redundant when you won't be around any longer.

University is supposedly great at the start and middle of your degree. But once you reach graduation, you know its time to pack up your bags and move along.

Especially when you see little first years who you know half will feel the same as you in the next 2 to 3 years time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)