• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Journal + notebook -- a few questions? (1 Viewer)

Pyramid

HSC
I'm soon going to Officeworks to get a journal + notebook :D

-- What kind of layout / size / no. of pages should I be looking at?
-- Is it alright to get an average 192 page exercise book with margins? I just don't see why not?
-- I'll also be getting a pocket-sized notebook...any suggestions re this?

Appreciate any input, thanks :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Get a Visual Art Diary, 120 pages-ish, A4 so you can write and stick things in it.

Exercise books get messy because you will be sticking stuff into it, you are better off getting a Visual Arts book which is thicker page-wise.

Also, yes, get a pocket sized notebook so you can take note of anything interesting in your travels.

Pyramid

HSC
Thanks for the help shadow, I went and got what you suggested :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh yes, I should also say - don't worry about going over one VAD (Visual Arts Diary), often people have 2-3 diaries when they send it in to the BoS. So don't be afraid, and just keep using it if you need it.

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
Wait will the BoS actually mark the journal as part of the major work? Cause I hate my journal and to date I've only filled it with crap- about how I've looked at a few webpages and books, how I've updated my viva voce/major work and everything else pretty inconsequential...

showy

HSC
Nope, BOS don't mark the journals. The purpose of handing it in is to give the mw credibility as your work rather than just being ripped off from somewhere.

I've heard they only open 1 in 100 journals and its when there are discrepancies, like between the mw and reflection statement. Journals are supposed to be a 'living document' of your progress- they're allowed to look like crap- don't stress.

zorcy

HSC
lol, i've almost finished my first journal (^-^)
:music:

showy

HSC
lol, i've almost finished my first journal (^-^)
:music:
That's insane! how much of your mw have you done? what medium is it?

mines on, like, 20 pages...

some of which are full of pictures and interviews. oh dear.

123 B A N G

HSC
I've only got 4 pages to go on my first one, but it was only 60 pages :p I like the small ones because you can carry them places easily.

Essjaybee

HSC
I've got about 100 pages (50 double sided) done but my teacher checks it about once a fortnight so im sort of motivated to work in it more - but then again that does include some of my research. I'm using a folder instead so I can just add more pages/sleeves instead of having multiple journals. I was gonna get a little notebook to carry with me, but my phone seems to work well enough for random ideas on the go.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Lol, my teachers have taken mine for two weeks now... I've stopped all work on it and am just waiting for it back =P

But I like those mini notepads.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Lol, my teachers have taken mine for two weeks now... I've stopped all work on it and am just waiting for it back =P

But I like those mini notepads.
Ah, me too, I just got mine back today, and I haven't touched it for about 2/3 weeks.
Feels so foreign to me now D:
And I cringe as I read over the comments on it!

Oh well, I got a good mark at least.

123 B A N G

HSC
You get comments? My teacher said that she can't write comments in our books... or wait was it just on another piece of paper?

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
You get comments? My teacher said that she can't write comments in our books... or wait was it just on another piece of paper?

Well she stuck some post-it notes in our journal, and wrote/annotated all over the draft, which obviously wan't in the journal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)