Just needing an opinion (1 Viewer)

missawesome

HSC
Sorry for what I think is going to be a really long question but I would love to get an opinion or facts on the courses and universities I'm planning to apply.

With my atar (a low 97) , I can get into combined commerce at UNSW either comm/arts or comm/media and I do like a double degree and I definitely want one of my degrees to be commerce because I am very keen on business whilst also wanting to broaden my education into more creative areas. When I was younger, I was always into journalism, communications and international studies and things like that. So I think this really appeals to me.

Also is comm (international) and comm/arts similar and if so, which one is more preferable?

However, I find law interesting but I don't know if I'm passionate enough (I've always been a very shy person and having never really been into discussions although I can change that) and with my atar, I can only go into uts law and not usyd law and unsw law. I know my parents definitely prefer me to go to do business/law at uts but I don't want to go to law just because it's 'better' and 'more prestigious' and 'i have the atar for it'. i.e. the wrong reasons.

So I don't know if I should do combined commerce at UNSW (and maybe transfer along the way if I actually after doing my degree find that I really really want to do law) or even combined commerce at USYD or do I take the plunge to do law at UTS?

such_such

HSC
Do combined commerce at UNSW → combined with media seems right for you.
- I heard commerce (international) is overated but if you like the idea of studying overseas for a year then go for it (compulsory).
- You could always transfer to law at UNSW → only your wam is considered → maintain an 80 wam and you should be fine (not hard with effort). But in your case I wouldn't if I wasn't passionate in law → this means you shouldn't consider UTS either.

And since I changed uni courses, I kind of understand where your parents come in. But I think it's important to not let your parents influence you in this case. They'll support you either way :)

Last edited:

britaker

HSC
I would choose combined commerce if I were you, sounds like your heart isn't in law :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)