Just realized my school disposes of lead containing solutions down the sink? (1 Viewer)

shumphrey

HSC
I was working through a past paper (2013) and one question mentioned something about disposing of lead safety, an I was a bit confused because we were never taught how to do it and my teacher just lets everyone pour it down the sink:uhoh:, sort came up with a half decent response (evaporating water to leave lead ions which can be safely stored away). anyways it made me we eren't taught to do this properly. Does anybody else school allow this? How do you dispose of chemicals safely?

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
We put chemicals into a large beaker at the end of a lesson and our teacher/science department take care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on the chemical but I think most went down the sink.

kawaiipotato

HSC
For some chemicals, I remember that our teacher would have a large bucket where we poured everything into it at the end of the practical lesson.

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah our school also pours harmful chemicals in a large glass beaker labelled 'organic waste' probably similar to supR. The beaker is stored inside the fume cupboard. The rest of the chemicals would all just go down the sink.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Well according to worksafe:

"How to dispose of lead contaminated waste. Place lead-containing debris into deflated heavy duty plastic bags and seal them. Pour lead-contaminated water generated as a result of wet scraping or sanding, or during clean-up, into a strong, securely sealed container. Provide short-term secure storage."
https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/inj...-exposures/lead/working-with-lead-based-paint

shumphrey

HSC
Yeah our school also pours harmful chemicals in a large glass beaker labelled 'organic waste' probably similar to supR. The beaker is stored inside the fume cupboard. The rest of the chemicals would all just go down the sink.
We have one for organic waste but it is only used for organic compounds (ethanol, butanol etc)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
We used to have a large waste beaker that we would use when something was toxic such as lead

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Oh hell no no no

Your school is nor practicing safe disposal
Gonna kill wildlife rip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)