Just starting out (1 Viewer)

jannny

HSC
Im just starting out to do some working out with a goal of "Cutting" but wondering how heavy dumbell I should start on?

Also, what kind of Cardio equipments do I need without going to the gym?

Thanks!

HSC
Your asking two different questions. Cutting (ie toning) involves losing body fat, whereas bulking up requires you to eat shitloads. Try and find the weight that you can comfortably use, then go pick the one that's a bit heavier. Also you don't need any cardio equipment cept shoes...and clothes, I guess.

jannny

HSC
so that means im gna have to do those cardio exercise in the gym right?

NinjaSauce

HSC
You are a beginner.

You are untrained.

You will react very quickly to weight-training.

You are a young buck.

Do not waste this. Go to the gym, lift hard, and just do what needs to be done. Get better.

In 6 months, see where you are, then decide what to do. At your level there is no such thing as bulking or cutting. You just train. YOU WILL ACCOMPLISH BOTH - This is your only time you can expect to be able to chase both.

The basics:
- Big lifts. Squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press. Get instruction if you can. Work these, Isolation if you've put in a solid effort with them.
- Stick to over 5 reps, but try to stay under 10.
- 3 sets of 10 is not set in stone. Try less reps (heavier weight) with more sets. Mix it up, find what is working for you.
- Try to beat yourself every week. And your stage, this is possible.
- Eat Clean. Just eat well. Do not count calories, do not measure food. Just eat well, and do not avoid meats, steal them from other people. I'm saying eat alot, I'm not saying eat too little. Do not over complicate this. Eat well, eat what you feel like eating.
- Enjoy what you are doing in the gym.

Beginner's Gains - rejoice!

NinjaSauce

HSC
Yes.

Everyone will have an initial growth spurt once they start, as long as you do not hurt yourself. Which is why i recommend asking for help if you need it. Ask the biggest guy in the gym (or the strongest guy, if they don't match up which CAN happen) for some guidance on form if you wish. Do not go heavy either (below 5 reps). You do not have the skill, strength, or purpose (this isn't an insult, all beginners need reps.)

Google "Beginners gains" or "beginner gains" And you'll probably come up with something.

After about 6 months, everything kinda becomes 'normal' (yet you still have the capacity to make greater gains over time than someone with an older 'training age'.)

Also, The 'young buck' reference is to note that at your age you also have surging testosterone. Testosterone - when provided stimulus (weights, as an example) will equal happiness.

NOTE: I am not saying you will end up as Ronnie Coleman in 6 months. or 1 year, or 5 years. But you'll be on your way... If you train for it, i mean. Whatever :p

Last edited:

Pace_T

HSC
fuck sake. he said he wants to cut/lose weight by doing cardio. who the hell said he wants to make big gains??? why does every male who goes to the gym need to make these "big gains"?

Nat3skiz

HSC
Pace_T said:
fuck sake. he said he wants to cut/lose weight by doing cardio. who the hell said he wants to make big gains??? why does every male who goes to the gym need to make these "big gains"?
lol.
Well all i can say is from experience, the ripped look is from low body fat, and if you want the strength to compliment it just do some lifts and try to eat well.

jannny said:
Im just starting out to do some working out with a goal of "Cutting" but wondering how heavy dumbell I should start on?

Also, what kind of Cardio equipments do I need without going to the gym?

Thanks!
do cardio where ever the hell you want, get some joggers or a skipping rope and try to get in 4 sessions of 45 minutes a week at least. Eat well and you'll be sweet.

NinjaSauce

HSC
Pace_T said:
He is in the only stage where he can lose fat, and gain muscle at the same time quickly.

Why concentrate on weight loss and waste his 'gains'? Note: "Big gains" just meant "big improvements".

Anyways - why would you not want to gain muscle? The only reason to not want it is if you are an athlete with a weight class. I think we are safe in assuming this isn't his problem.

Nat3skiz

HSC
NinjaSauce said:
He is in the only stage where he can lose fat, and gain muscle at the same time quickly.

Why concentrate on weight loss and waste his 'gains'? Note: "Big gains" just meant "big improvements".

Anyways - why would you not want to gain muscle? The only reason to not want it is if you are an athlete with a weight class. I think we are safe in assuming this isn't his problem.
this is true but some peopler prefer the athletic look over the brick shithouse look. Where the muscles are large enough to be noticed and appreciated, but not massive.

NinjaSauce

HSC
heh...

Without seeing him, i'd place bets he is no where near that look.

You don't wake up huge. 'Brickshithouse look' takes YEARS.

Nat3skiz

HSC
NinjaSauce said:
heh...

Without seeing him, i'd place bets he is no where near that look.

You don't wake up huge. 'Brickshithouse look' takes YEARS.
true but bodybuilding alone wont give him the athletic look.

jannny

HSC
can someone please list me all the Exercises that I need to do to maximise these Beginner's benefits? and also the reps and sets for each of them? How heavy as well?

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Do cardio in the morning before you eat, this will burn of pure fat.

Have A protein shake, and something carb-ful for breakfast.

Lift with quality, as the shape of your lifts will distinguish your physique.
You will eventually be able to lift big.

In ripping, try not to eat heavy carbs/fat after 6pm.
Try to take in 200g of protein a day.

Little things like that go a long way.

Also a try creatine, some people like it, other don't.
But i found it works really well on my body, however i felt strange in someways taking it, so i stopped.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
jannny said:
can someone please list me all the Exercises that I need to do to maximise these Beginner's benefits? and also the reps and sets for each of them? How heavy as well?
here is a beginners sample routine.

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/rickcutch2.htm

Its a good starting point, but only use it as a guide.
After a while you start to feel what helps your body grow.

Nat3skiz

HSC
risole91 said:
Do cardio in the morning before you eat, this will burn of pure fat.

Have A protein shake, and something carb-ful for breakfast.

Lift with quality, as the shape of your lifts will distinguish your physique.
You will eventually be able to lift big.

In ripping, try not to eat heavy carbs/fat after 6pm.
Try to take in 200g of protein a day.

Little things like that go a long way.

Also a try creatine, some people like it, other don't.
But i found it works really well on my body, however i felt strange in someways taking it, so i stopped.
I agree with alot of this. Though what i've been taught is that you should intake roughly a gram of protein for every pound of your bodyweight if you intend on putting on muscle. Try to lift with pure strength instead of using momentum, ie swinging your arms in a bicep curl.
The say Creatine Phosphate helps your body to recover to do more reps but i don't know if this is the case, could anyone clarify? *cough* ninjasauce *cough*.
And yeh the ripped look is low body fat so a good 30 minute cardio in the morning would be great. Remember that if you run after a meal you won't burn fat til you burn off your carbohydrates. And a casual walk would burn more fat as your body can afford to burn less efficient fuels.

good luck again =]

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Nat3skiz said:
Though what i've been taught is that you should intake roughly a gram of protein for every pound of your bodyweight if you intend on putting on muscle..

The say Creatine Phosphate helps your body to recover to do more reps but i don't know if this is the case, could anyone clarify? *cough* ninjasauce *cough*.
good luck again =]

Minimum 1 gram per body weight.
So 200g Is fine, as long as spread it out.
No more then 50g at a time.

Creatine phosphate does hlp your body recover, and you can really feel it. After 3 days i was able to Squat 120Kg for 4reps, as opposed to it been my one rep max.

It also helps store water in the body in muscle tissues.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
risole91 said:
here is a beginners sample routine.

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/rickcutch2.htm

Its a good starting point, but only use it as a guide.
After a while you start to feel what helps your body grow.
as a guide yeah, but machine squats, pushups, machine bench wtf?

rippetoe's is always good, learn how to squat, bench and deadlift with good form and you will be set for life.

Last edited:

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
CharlieB said:
as a guide yeah, but machine squats, pushups, machine bench wtf?

rippetoe's is always good, learn how to squat, bench and deadlift with good form and you will be set for life.
TBH i didnt read what i linked, i just know i built my routine of teen bodybuilding.

But again its more important to do what feels comfortable.

eg. I dont bench press anymore with a bar, i only use dumbells.

Pace_T

HSC
risole91 said:
TBH i didnt read what i linked, i just know i built my routine of teen bodybuilding.

But again its more important to do what feels comfortable.

eg. I dont bench press anymore with a bar, i only use dumbells.
out of curiousity, how much do you bench??

to the OP, go to bodybuilding.com you dont have to go nuts or anything you wont become super buff, but if you follow a lot of their articles and advice, you will get to where you want to be REALLY fast.
i use to live on those forums like 5 years ago and i remember all the important things still and i started working out again. in the past 10 weeks i had put on 10kg and my bodyfat % went down as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)