Keep or Drop Ext.2? (1 Viewer)

angelano33

HSC
Hi everyone,

I'm currently doing 4 unit maths and am thinking about dropping it, but I'm getting mixed opinions.

My teacher said that I wouldn't drop because I'm currently doing ok, however, my families are saying that if it takes up too much of my time then I should probably drop down to 3u.

I find 3u quite easy but 4u is quite hard. I'm not particularly keen on studying maths. I only chose it because it scales really well because all my other subjects don't scale so well.

So can you please help me out?

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
what marks are you averaging in 4 unit?

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
If you don't like maths, then drop it. Never pick 4U because of the scaling. It takes so much time and effort that you should only do it if you love maths.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
If you don't like maths, then drop it. Never pick 4U because of the scaling. It takes so much time and effort that you should only do it if you love maths.
exactly, even for 2 unit, the board suggests that students have a thorough understaning of mathematical concepts and that the course is for students wishing to undertake further study involving mathematics. But in the end if you can perform good in it, i.e >70% avg. keep it, it will pay of in atar, however if you feel you do not enjoy and and results aren't showing it, drop it before it consumes your soul.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
4 unit will really help with your 3 unit. The higher level of thinking involved in 4 unit can save a lot of time in 3 unit. It's extremely time consuming for an extension subject (I FEEL omg) but a lot of people have told me its really rewarding. Just keep at it and see how you go after the first term, because it is supposed to be challenging.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
im pretty sure if you continue on with ex2 it will enhance your confidence immensely in ex1...keep it for a while.

angelano33

HSC
I just did my exam today and I think I failed..... Complex numbers were alright however the graph section is quite hard... Since I oh my god remembered this morning that it was gonna be in the exam :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
well how do you do in extension 1?

Ikki

HSC
If ur not interested, drop and divert all time into other subjects, make sure u smash em all :p
Try to get 97+ in 3u.

angelano33

HSC
I'm doing quite well in ext 1, its kinda easy for me.... which is why it's such a hard decision to make

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Take your time with the decision, and get back the results asap.

Even though others say it is time consuming, it helps with 3-unit. I barely did 3-unit work, because of 4-unit and it ended up paying off for me.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
i suggest you keep ex2 since you claim to be breezing through 3u. its ok if you find it difficult at first, the more you practice the better you become and if you continue on progressing in ex2, the effort should show in the end.

iPhone4

HSC
N/A
For those early topic tests in 4u, as long as you don't go to a top 50 or so school, you need to be getting 80s. Those solid marks in the first concepts carry you through your HSC exam and you NEED them. My suggestion is keep the subject if you like it and are willing to devote time to it.

If it's the subject that you love doing keep it. It makes 3u a joke. Otherwise drop.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
For those early topic tests in 4u, as long as you don't go to a top 50 or so school, you need to be getting 80s. Those solid marks in the first concepts carry you through your HSC exam and you NEED them. My suggestion is keep the subject if you like it and are willing to devote time to it.

If it's the subject that you love doing keep it. It makes 3u a joke. Otherwise drop.

Totally agree

koreafantasy

HSC
4u maths AND english are for either a) Ruse or b) you love maths/english like its your girlfriend. btw, in 2012, 4u maths scaled badly because of the myriad of people going 'oh, 4u maths freelo hsc. idc if i do shit i get good atar anyway' and therefore screwing up the results. id say drop it.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
I think you should drop down to 3 unit:
a) you are finding 3 unit easy
b) you are not keen on studying or devoting your time to maths
c) If you are doing average or bad at a subject, scaling won't benefit much
d) only doing it for scaling

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
4u maths AND english are for either a) Ruse or b) you love maths/english like its your girlfriend. btw, in 2012, 4u maths scaled badly because of the myriad of people going 'oh, 4u maths freelo hsc. idc if i do shit i get good atar anyway' and therefore screwing up the results. id say drop it.
not sure if it was a typo, but lol. free elo.

angelano33

HSC
Hi guys, I just received my maths results.

I got 92% for ext 1, really happy about that!

but for ext 2, I only got about 62%. :(

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Hi guys, I just received my maths results.

I got 92% for ext 1, really happy about that!

but for ext 2, I only got about 62%. :(
Keep ext.2 for now. Are you doing the 2-unit assessments? What did you get for 2-unit?

I remember getting this in first term year 12:
2-unit: 95%
MX1: 98%
Mx2: 96%

In essence, if you get above 90% in both 2/3 unit, then keep 4-unit for now. Do the half-yearlies for now.

I had a friend who got above 90 in 2/3 unit and an 80 in MX2, but got 50%ish in the half-yearly, so he dropped. HE didn't need MX2 for later on any way (I argued he did but he never listened to me).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)