Keeping on track (1 Viewer)

HSC
the first two weeks of school were okay, i was finishing h/w and even making some notes, and i was going really good

after that, i've been getting distracted. i don't finish h/w on time - if i do, it's a half done job. i'm starting to procrastinate, leaving things till late at night.

i'm just skimming thru h/w just to get it done. i tell myself, i'll make notes and study when exam time comes....then i can go back and understand everything properly.

i'd like to get back on track. any suggestions?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
the.chosen.one said:
the first two weeks of school were okay, i was finishing h/w and even making some notes, and i was going really good

after that, i've been getting distracted. i don't finish h/w on time - if i do, it's a half done job. i'm starting to procrastinate, leaving things till late at night.

i'm just skimming thru h/w just to get it done. i tell myself, i'll make notes and study when exam time comes....then i can go back and understand everything properly.

i'd like to get back on track. any suggestions?
yeah ive been going downhill since the start of the term. but im finally getting back on track which is a good ^^. you just need something to motivate you to do work for example think about the feeling you will get when you recieve a top mark or think about someone that you want to make proud, this could be teachers, friends, family whatever. you be fine =]

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Agreed its all about your personal motivation and what you want to achieve. Nobody can make you work you have to want to do it for yourself and have your own goals that you want to achieve.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Write a table up with your homework/assignments homework and set your self rewards eg getting to watch tv for an hour after u do all of your homework etc. Also write what you want to get eg 100 UAI on a piece of paper and hang it up on the walls.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Ahaha, I procrastinate big time. I actually can't do any homework until late at night, but that's because I work best in the middle of the night. For you however, you should really set yourself some goals to work towards each night, such as get some of this done, some of that done etc. and reward yourself for it when you get there, i.e. relax for an hour, etc.

HSC
Hahaha, i work best in the middle of the night too! By the way, at the moment im doing homework.

Pubert

HSC
I am too starting to become lazy with my homework and stuff. I stopped doing any maths work at school and i have to catch up at home.

During all my previous years you could probably look through any of my books (besides geographys because it was shit all the way through) and notice how neat it is at the beginning and as you go through the book you can see the progression of messyness and incomplete work.

HSC
yeah i agree with the point on motivation

i dnno if this is good, but i seem to only start getting really motivated at night. like say from 8pm - 2am....this has recently developed into some sort of habbit, and i'm not sure if its good.

on one hand diff things work for diff ppl, but is this a habbit i should try to curb?

speedie

HSC
i just want to say that dont forget prelim results dont count at all towards the HSC. not that its not important of course. but my advice is just to try to keep up and try not to stress too much at this stage, as your attitude will gradually change. i did chem phy and maths prelim last year (i accelerated) and i mainly bludged until about a few days before exams. what i did was i kept the notes and read through them all just before exams and i aced everything. i got 1st and 2nds for all the courses by "cramming", so my point is that prelim subjects arent too hard to grasp so dont stress out. just cram and u'll do fine lol(but NEVER do this for yr 12)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
speedie said:
i just want to say that dont forget prelim results dont count at all towards the HSC. not that its not important of course. but my advice is just to try to keep up and try not to stress too much at this stage, as your attitude will gradually change. i did chem phy and maths prelim last year (i accelerated) and i mainly bludged until about a few days before exams. what i did was i kept the notes and read through them all just before exams and i aced everything. i got 1st and 2nds for all the courses by "cramming", so my point is that prelim subjects arent too hard to grasp so dont stress out. just cram and u'll do fine lol(but NEVER do this for yr 12)
Even though people say that year 11 doesn't matter, i can say that it does as you learn a lot of things in year 11 such as stupid habits, errors and mistakes you have and the most important lesson of not doing an assessment the night before. thus when you enter year 12 you would have got rid of these stupid habits and errors and as a result of it your marks and study patterns will get better and better. the ranks you achieve in year11 will also help motivate you more as for me i wanted to defend or upper the ones i recieved.but yes as speedie has suggested don't stress out at this stage because your still at a very stage of your senior studies. but seriously don't cram as if it turns into a habit it will be very hard to change.

HSC
the.chosen.one said:
yeah i agree with the point on motivation

i dnno if this is good, but i seem to only start getting really motivated at night. like say from 8pm - 2am....this has recently developed into some sort of habbit, and i'm not sure if its good.

on one hand diff things work for diff ppl, but is this a habbit i should try to curb?
lol, thats exactly when i do my homework! :)

dreamer7

HSC
My advice is as follows.
Don't cram. I did this in year 8/9. While I did achieve good marks, I found that about 2-3 weeks after the tests I couldn't remember a thing. That's because if you simply memorise, you're regurgitating information, not learning it. If you truly want to understand, constant revision is the only way.
Timetable. Make one and stick to it. I set 30min revision time for each subject, and adequate slots for assignments and homework. Trust me, it works.
Get homework done the day you get it. If you keep putting it off, chances are you'll never get round to doing it. Just get it out of the way asap, then you can concentrate on important assignments and revision.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
dreamer7 said:
Timetable. Make one and stick to it. I set 30min revision time for each subject, and adequate slots for assignments and homework. Trust me, it works.
Although that works for most people, I've found that I cannot stick to a timetable, it just doesn't work for me.

You are right about the other things though.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Omg, I'm exactly the same! I SWORE that this was the year I was going to get organised and I was going great in the first few weeks, but then I slacked off and last Thurday I was up all night doing a Chemistry assignment , a Biology assessment and an English reflection all due on Friday! Stupid, stupid me! I've learnt my lesson though, I'm not going to procrastinate anymore. Now to see how long it lasts... :)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
dreamer7 said:
My advice is as follows.
Don't cram. I did this in year 8/9. While I did achieve good marks, I found that about 2-3 weeks after the tests I couldn't remember a thing. That's because if you simply memorise, you're regurgitating information, not learning it. If you truly want to understand, constant revision is the only way.
Get homework done the day you get it. If you keep putting it off, chances are you'll never get round to doing it. Just get it out of the way asap, then you can concentrate on important assignments and revision.

The hsc IMO is about memorizing and regurgitating. and like dreamer7 constant revision is the best way to learn. however as frustrating as i think it is, memorizing is the best method for me as it gets information concrete in my head even though its not the best way to study i admit. but of course after a while you do forget everything. a suggestion is to stick up posters of key concepts and information in your room that you have to remember and by seeing it daily they will become clear in your head.

Last edited:

Tuna

HSC
N/A
This is a tough one, if we tell you the time to study, you might study for one or two days then stop. Just tell yourself that you are only competing with yourself day by day and not others.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Tuna said:
This is a tough one, if we tell you the time to study, you might study for one or two days then stop. Just tell yourself that you are only competing with yourself day by day and not others.
that is so true. also if you have a exam coming up in four weeks or so dont start stressing about how little time you have. it stresses you out a lot and takes up a lot of your time. just keep studying and think about how much you can accomplish in one whole day then times that by how many days you have left =]

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Sigh...just wasted a whole day at home...had paper in front of me for my English journal but really, really couldn't bring myself to do it >.<''' Read the Physics textbook a bit at night though. Geez that thing was a brick :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)