• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Kevin Rudd announces Maximum 15pc emissions cut by 2020 (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
THE Federal Government has ruled out a deep cut to Australia's greenhouse gas emissions before 2020, believing the world will not get its act together on climate change soon.

The Government has set an absolute maximum cut to emissions of 15 per cent by 2020 - if the world signs an effective climate pact - in its greenhouse plan released today.

If no pact is signed, Australia will go with an unconditional 5 per cent cut in emissions.

These targets fly in the face of calls from scientists for countries to slash their emissions by 25 to 40 per cent to avert catastrophic climate change.

The Government says it's unlikely the world can forge a strong greenhouse agreement so its targets are realistic.

"A fair and effective global agreement delivering deep cuts in emissions ... would be in Australia's interests," the plan says.

"Achieving global commitment to emissions reductions of this order appears unlikely in the next commitment period.''

Kevin Rudd announces target for cut in emmisions by 2020 | News.com.au Top stories | News.com.au

Thoughts?

What pro's and con's would come out of this myth? :santa:

zstar

HSC
N/A
Somebody needs to cut the emissions coming out of Rudd's mouth.

sdent40

HSC
I don't care what you guys think of Rudd, if it comes out of Rudd's mouth, it must be true!

HSC
Isn't it pathetic - we got rid of Howard in the hope that Rudd would step up to the plate and deliver on all the 'new agenda' issues which left our old PM behind...but this 5% is hardly more than howard could have been convinced into, and certainly not enough to curtail the dangerous effects of the climate change which K. Rudd himself believes is occurring!

Rudd is such a disappointment, and not only on this issue. Good on those protestors who gatecrashed his speech at the press club ABC News - Top Stories - Breaking news from Australia and the world. How can he expect other countries in the world to take stronger action than him on climate change and 'encourage' him to do more. He will only commit to stronger targets if the rest of the world picks up the pace, but if every other leader acts like he is, it will never happen.

Doesn't he have the balls to do something first - to lead the world like he thinks Australia can in other areas, and set the example, not be the sheep that follows someone else. If he waits, he will not be remembered as the 'new leadership' he campaigned on, but as someone who promised a lot but didn't deliver.

Lentern

HSC
I wonder how Garrett and his plan to change the system from within is going. Furthermore Turnbull is a pretty green opposition leader, if ever Rudd was going to have a chance to make dramatic cuts it was now, this will be the high point for the Rudd government as far as environmental credentials go.

sdent40

HSC
cute.asa.button said:
Doesn't he have the balls to do something first - to lead the world like he thinks Australia can in other areas, and set the example, not be the sheep that follows someone else.
But look at how much money he spent regarding the economic crisis, surely that much govt money being spent has to do something to help the economy!

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
cute.asa.button said:
Isn't it pathetic - we got rid of Howard in the hope that Rudd would step up to the plate and deliver on all the 'new agenda' issues which left our old PM behind...but this 5% is hardly more than howard could have been convinced into, and certainly not enough to curtail the dangerous effects of the climate change which K. Rudd himself believes is occurring!

Rudd is such a disappointment, and not only on this issue. Good on those protestors who gatecrashed his speech at the press club ABC News - Top Stories - Breaking news from Australia and the world. How can he expect other countries in the world to take stronger action than him on climate change and 'encourage' him to do more. He will only commit to stronger targets if the rest of the world picks up the pace, but if every other leader acts like he is, it will never happen.

Doesn't he have the balls to do something first - to lead the world like he thinks Australia can in other areas, and set the example, not be the sheep that follows someone else. If he waits, he will not be remembered as the 'new leadership' he campaigned on, but as someone who promised a lot but didn't deliver.

You're probably one of the idiots who voted for Rudd because he says he will bring 'change' to Australia :rolleyes:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
pathetic, if your not going to do something right, why bother doing anything at all

sdent40

HSC
chicky_pie said:
You're probably one of the idiots who voted for Rudd because he says he will bring 'change' to Australia :rolleyes:
But he is bringing change! All the school students will get govt laptops to keep. And they're implementing the internet filter so that we're all safe from unwanted internet material!

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
townie said:
pathetic, if your not going to do something right, why bother doing anything at all
the right thing to do for australia would be to have no cuts in emissions at all, and to do away completely with this costly carbon-trading scheme being proposed

even if australia stopped producing greenhouse gases completely, it would make almost zero difference, on a world scale.

so why should we jeopardise jobs and economic growth at home just to appease greenies, when other nations are - very rightly - putting their people first? sorry if i sound unintellectual, but i think at the end of the day, having a job, and being able to put food on the plate ranks far more highly than being able to sign on to a worthless piece of paper - like the Kyoto Protocol

we should always put country first

HSC
Gaurnaut says that a five percent emission cut by 2020 is consistent with the achievement of a sixty percent reduction by 2050. :<

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
Silver Persian said:
Gaurnaut says that a five percent emission cut by 2020 is consistent with the achievement of a sixty percent reduction by 2050. :<
which is a .08% change on a global scale by 2020 and a .72% change by 2050.

pretty shitty really

He's just trying to show the wider community that he is committed to combating climate change, but he realises that if he makes restrictions that are too large, it will not benefit industry for the small amount of change it would make.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Lindsay Tanner just lost his seat.

HSC
LOL. lets be realistic. if australia was srs about climate change we could be carbon neutral by 2050.

by who cares. coz i dont really give a shit about climate change.

banco55

HSC
I like how all these hippie idiots keep on going on about how we could create heaps of jobs in the alternative energy sector and wouldn't that be great? What they don't mention is that the only way you'd create a large number of jobs in the alternative energy sector is through massive government subsidies and onerous regulation.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
this is what happens when u elect a crappy labor goverment
labor will NEVER get things done right.
i hope kevin rudd dies of some sort of adverse effect from climate change, something like being drowned by the extra water from the melted ice caps of antartica...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)