Kevin11 (1 Viewer)

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A
Hmmm, I doubt Turnbull is coming back soon but you don't really believe Abbott is hanging around for long do you?
Abbott's in here for the long haul. The right now has a tight grip on the controls of the party and will for some time

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Abbott's in here for the long haul. The right now has a tight grip on the controls of the party and will for some time
Abbott won't make it to the next election. If a snap election is called soon, he will be rolled. If not, he will resign within a year or so.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
lol nobody likes gillard

then again nobody really likes abbot either he only managed to get so many votes b/c gillard was equally unlikable

Lentern

HSC
The irony here is obviously lost on you.
Answer the question, what has lead you to believe that Bill Shorten would have less support in caucus than Kevin Rudd?

If you pour over a few history books the last incumbent major party leader to withstand a leadership challenge and go on to contest the next election was Malcolm Fraser in 1982 when Andrew Peacock challenged him. To my knowledge it hasn't happened in opposition in the postwar period.

It's a big ask at the best of times for a leader to serve a whole term without challenge(although Barry O'farrell and Ted Bailieu have both done it) but this isn't an ordinary parliament. Malcolm Turnbull isn't like most of his colleagues, being a senior minister in a liberal government has no allure for the man who has done everything. There is only one job he wants and he will gun hard for it. Like Kim Beazley in 2003, his colleagues don't really want him so he probably won't win but once the challenge is on, it might as well be over, the party will look for a clean break, an escape from the factional battle Abbott and Turnbull will have inflicted on their party and then some new candidates(or Hockey) will emerge. His rather difficult to stomach conduct re asylum seekers wont help Abbott either.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
The irony here is obviously lost on you.
Lentern may be a compelte moron when it comes to issues of political economy, but holy fuck he knows politics better than most anyone.

So shut the fuck up.

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A
Lentern is so inside the fucking loop he's terrifying

nathanf

HSC
'Almost' - after a first term sitting prime minister was replaced and the bad (leaks, carbon tax etc) campaign Labor had. Abbott will never have a better opportunity than he had at the last election.
The Carbon tax isn't necessarily bad, and the mining superprofits tax certainly wasn't. Rudd shouldn't have been ousted, but he was because he couldn't get enough general caucus support, or if he had it, keep it. His standing in the public's eyes isn't too bad, at the time of when he got dumped many people were ignorant about the mining superprofits tax because the companies who wouldn't want to lose a few billions in profits spend a few dozen million telling Australian people that 'investment in Australia will die' etc, which is rubbish because we have the resources, and there's few other options as we have the mining infrastructure already setup.

but in any case, Rudd seems to be doing his own thing politically, he has the intelligence to find a way back into it, yet I doubht it will happen. Regular Prime-Minister changing essentially stopped when Menzies came to power in the 40's. We're not like we were back in the 1900's-20's where the same men came in and out of power.

Existential

HSC
N/A
I disagree here. The Liberal policy (or lack of) is a sham that can't last. They will soon realize they cannot win by having no alternative, credible policy on climate change and a leader who is quoted as saying "climate change is crap".
I am in no way defending Abbott's stance on climate change, but I will correct you - Abbott said the assertion that the climate change science is settled is absolute crap.

Davidbarnes, you're saying what you want to happen.

The fact is that while both Gillard and Abbott are unpopular, the current political circumstances of 2011 give us no reason to suspect any leadership change in the near future. The very thought of knifing Abbott is insane given his great political capital post-2010 election and now on the ETS "lie" of Gillard. On the Prime Minister, you don't seem to understand that there is a difference between Opposition and Government. Changes in PM's are far less often than changes in Opposition Leaders. Another change in Prime Minister before the next election, while extremely unlikely, would be very dangerous indeed.

While I am not ruling out a change in Opposition Leader, at the moment your assertion that Abbott will be gone by the end of the year is ludicrous as it is based on nothing but political incentive. The bias, contradiction and hypocrisy in your comments and wild assertions suggest you either have no idea what your talking about or you are looking into a crystal ball.

Last edited:

Existential

HSC
N/A
the OP's thought bubble has popped and he runs away realising his fail.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
the doctor guy whose name I can't remember
You mean Brendan Nelson? He was our defence minister during the Children Overboard 'crisis' and you can't remember his name?

Also you're retarded. Rudd is just destroying the party from the inside, there is no way he will run again. And Abbott is not going to be overturned as leader. He nearly toppled the Labor government in the last election, honestly the result was what I was hoping for, I would have rathered the Independents abstaining from supporting either party and minority government being undertaken by the party with the most seats but obviously that was never going to happen. Gillard's Carbon Tax is political suicide, Rob Oakshot's political career is gone after the next election. Every single decision he has made he has received numerous death threats. Windsor will probably still hold his seat but only due to overwhelming support riding from people who are aware of Independents roles.

Gillard is unlikely to be toppled before the next election but she is unlikely to win it at any rate, there have been no good ideas under her government. They're just "Oh, Queensland were idiots and didn't insure their assets, we'll bail them out with money we don't have." "Oh, we don't like this, tax it." "Oh shit, we need support from The Greens because they're batshit insane, increase the cost of living and FUCKING EVERYTHING with a Carbon Tax." "Oh look, we can't manage a budget properly...Tax the biggest employers and earners in the country because they're better at managing a business than us." "Oh, look at me, I'm a woman. I have unpredictable mood swings." "I'm unfit and can't ride my bike everywhere like Big Ears Tony Abbott."

Existential

HSC
N/A
No

I still love k rudd
You feelings for Rudd are irrelevant. Face it - your assertion was ridiculous and delusional. There's no hiding from your "Rudd will be PM by year's end" rubbish. Enough is enough man..... srsly.

Last edited:

Existential

HSC
N/A
You mean Brendan Nelson? He was our defence minister during the Children Overboard 'crisis' and you can't remember his name?

Also [davidbarnes] you're retarded. Rudd is just destroying the party from the inside, there is no way he [Rudd] will run again. And Abbott is not going to be overturned as leader. He nearly toppled the Labor government in the last election, honestly the result was what I was hoping for, I would have rathered the Independents abstaining from supporting either party and minority government being undertaken by the party with the most seats but obviously that was never going to happen. Gillard's Carbon Tax is political suicide, Rob Oakshot's political career is gone after the next election. Every single decision he has made he has received numerous death threats. Windsor will probably still hold his seat but only due to overwhelming support riding from people who are aware of Independents roles.

Gillard is unlikely to be toppled before the next election but she is unlikely to win it at any rate, there have been no good ideas under her government. They're just "Oh, Queensland were idiots and didn't insure their assets, we'll bail them out with money we don't have." "Oh, we don't like this, tax it." "Oh shit, we need support from The Greens because they're batshit insane, increase the cost of living and FUCKING EVERYTHING with a Carbon Tax." "Oh look, we can't manage a budget properly...Tax the biggest employers and earners in the country because they're better at managing a business than us." "Oh, look at me, I'm a woman. I have unpredictable mood swings." "I'm unfit and can't ride my bike everywhere like Big Ears Tony Abbott."
davidbarnes should take a second opinion and actually read the bolded above.

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A
there is no way the current gillard government will win the next election or pass the carbon tax

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)