Keyboards (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Ended up with strix tactic cherry mx brown switch almost 6 months later.

I thought I would have loved the red switch in theory but found the brown switch to give the appropriate feedback for typing and determining between missed key strokes when I was trying it out.

After a day of use I increased my WPM by about 20% lol.

As for the requirements, I satisfied most of them and I got it at a bargain.

They claim NKRO use through USB. I think it possibly uses an in built microcontroller to activate all the keys by interrupt internally, which then sends it over via USB until the computer acknowledges the transfer. That's one way I can think of getting NKRO with USB.

turntaker

HSC
Is the red switch the clicky one. If so I can imagine it would get annoying.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Old thread but I wonder how you are finding your mechanical keyboard a few months later. I keep looking at these but think I can't figure out when I'd use it- the office would complain because it's noisy (i don't like the quiet ones anyway) and at home I don't do much typing... but what can I say, I game using a Surface pro type cover.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
It's alright. My WPM improved a tiny bit.

Ergonomics are awesome.

I still bash the keys though which is bad.

Most annoying thing is that it's keys end up roughly one column thinner in total compared to most keyboards publically used so as soon as I use a different keyboard, all my typing is incorrect for the first 5 minutes of use.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's alright. My WPM improved a tiny bit.

Ergonomics are awesome.

I still bash the keys though which is bad.

Most annoying thing is that it's keys end up roughly one column thinner in total compared to most keyboards publically used so as soon as I use a different keyboard, all my typing is incorrect for the first 5 minutes of use.
I find it interesting when people get these huge variations when changing keyboards in their WPM whereas I think I'm largely consistent as long as I'm not on a crap netbook sized keybord (Dell Mini 9 anyone - but even that I was still able to get to around 90-100wpm). I really should try and study my typing behaviour more to see if I can improve further but I'm also worried about RSI (not that anyone seems to talk about it anymore!).

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
My WPM is something in the 70s. However in a 15 second burst, I can definitely get over 100 WPM. I'm just not that consistent because my fingers don't follow the suggested method.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think for me the thing which helped the most was those split ergonomic keyboards which force you to use the correct hand to type. In fact, this is the exact keyboard I used for nearly a decade (Cirque Wave with the trackpad) before I replaced it with a Logitech one which was much smaller and had the letters visible on the keys (which have also since faded away to black).

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I'm fine with middle letters. It's mainly the outskirt letters where I use one finger over or something like that. Sometimes I use the correct finger but sometimes I use the next one over.

That keyboard wouldn't help my case much.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm fine with middle letters. It's mainly the outskirt letters where I use one finger over or something like that. Sometimes I use the correct finger but sometimes I use the next one over.

That keyboard wouldn't help my case much.
Have you tried forcing your fingers to use the correct ones? That being said looking at the way I type now, I overuse my 4th fingers rather than 5th for the outskirt letters - I usually save my 5th fingers for modifier keys (ctrl/shift/etc). I even sometimes overuse my third finger to cover both the "w" and "e" column on the left side and on the right, I let my fourth finger do "o" column.

D94

HSC
N/A
WPM isn't as important as knowing what to type vs how fast you can type.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Have you tried forcing your fingers to use the correct ones? That being said looking at the way I type now, I overuse my 4th fingers rather than 5th for the outskirt letters - I usually save my 5th fingers for modifier keys (ctrl/shift/etc). I even sometimes overuse my third finger to cover both the "w" and "e" column on the left side and on the right, I let my fourth finger do "o" column.
Yeah I do pretty much the same.

This too. I'm happy with bursts of fast typing because I usually am able to think of what to type in a decent burst.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Also the NKRO claim on the strix tactic pro is false over USB. Maximum I can get is 6KRO through USB.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Typically the bottleneck or constraint is whether the device I'm typing on can keep up with me... but then maybe I've just mastered the art of writing a lot.

EDIT: I would note that when I'm trying to write something very careful and deliberate (e.g. a Board report), I end up doing better writing with pen and paper.

D94

HSC
N/A
Typically the bottleneck or constraint is whether the device I'm typing on can keep up with me... but then maybe I've just mastered the art of writing a lot.

EDIT: I would note that when I'm trying to write something very careful and deliberate (e.g. a Board report), I end up doing better writing with pen and paper.
A bottleneck within an inefficient process might not actually be a bottleneck when compared to the entire process (of writing in this case).

Time spent planning, understanding and perfecting what you want to write > Time spent actually typing.

If you do happen to think and type exactly what you want (i.e. no change, no editing) from start to finish, then sure, the bottleneck is indeed the device.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
A bottleneck within an inefficient process might not actually be a bottleneck when compared to the entire process (of writing in this case).

Time spent planning, understanding and perfecting what you want to write > Time spent actually typing.

If you do happen to think and type exactly what you want (i.e. no change, no editing) from start to finish, then sure, the bottleneck is indeed the device.
Most of the time I'm not just writing reports though but editing other peoples' documents/reports... what slows me down is when Word takes a while to catch up, or something else causes the computer to not be responsive to my typing and I sit there staring blankly at the cursor despite knowing I'd just chucked a lot of words at it.

ps. Just thought I'd try typera.net again and got 665cpm/133 wpm on a Surface keyboard.

D94

HSC
N/A
Most of the time I'm not just writing reports though but editing other peoples' documents/reports... what slows me down is when Word takes a while to catch up, or something else causes the computer to not be responsive to my typing and I sit there staring blankly at the cursor despite knowing I'd just chucked a lot of words at it.

ps. Just thought I'd try typera.net again and got 665cpm/133 wpm on a Surface keyboard.
Well that's a bit different to you being so fast that the PC can't keep up - you are describing your PC being too slow to even perform ordinary Word functions, i.e. it's an old PC or a low spec PC. I have no doubt that if you were on my PC, you wouldn't have this issue.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Well that's a bit different to you being so fast that the PC can't keep up - you are describing your PC being too slow to even perform ordinary Word functions, i.e. it's an old PC or a low spec PC. I have no doubt that if you were on my PC, you wouldn't have this issue.
ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)