Kidman upsets Aborigines (1 Viewer)

rasengan90

HSC
cxlxoxk said:
minor???

- unis -> tertiary institutions did not let women enter until later then men.

- property ownership -> had limited rights and got full rights later than men did.

- right to vote -> received later then men

- right to safety -> sexual assault/rape incidences are higher for women then men.

- prejudice -> "women should be housewives, not working"

- employment -> managerial positions - glass ceiling effect, affirmative action.

out of 5 main areas of society (health, education, housing and employment), women are/were disadvantaged in all 5!!!

government/politics, health, education, housing and employment!!!
DICK READ THE FUCKING POST I SAID LEGALLY. In aboriginal culture by their laws there are many many things women can't do. This does not exist in our culture, most of the issues you mentioned are outdated when it was you comparing our MODERN culture to their pre-colonisation culture.

suzlee

HSC
No additional offence to anyone but seriously... Just be serious. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I saw the news just a few hours ago and this aboriginal man said "you're not supposed to touch it. Please respect us."
wtf..... if somebody has the guts to say something like that, that somebody doesn't know what the word 'respect' even means.

I mean, they're allowed to think that way if it's part of their culture, but they should keep it to themselves because it offends the majority. Ever heard of sexism?

This is one of those things that make you lol without humour. Just ridiculous.

rasengan90

HSC
Rockyroad said:
Of course there's no law excluding a woman from a job. That's why it's called a glass ceiling.
As in, its not official, you can't see it and yet it is still there.
Unfourtunate. Did you know a tribe in S.A has a law that any woman who enters their sacred canyon is to be killed? Now THAT is sexism.

big8oyjames

Banned
HSC
my white teacher in primary school helped me out to play a didgeridoo. whats going to happen to her...or me? (she has 2 children right now)

big8oyjames

Banned
HSC
bobet said:
Her womb is going to devour her body. Her children will die.
THE CURSE.
oh man. whats going to happen to me.

edit: im not white.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
cxlxoxk said:
minor???

- property ownership -> had limited rights and got full rights later than men did.

- right to safety -> sexual assault/rape incidences are higher for women then men.

- employment -> managerial positions - glass ceiling effect, affirmative action.

out of 5 main areas of society (health, education, housing and employment), women are/were disadvantaged in all 5!!!

government/politics, health, education, housing and employment!!!
why did those things change/why did women eventually receive them?

because people looked at their society and decided it would be better if women had more equality

so if you can say western society was better when women gained equality, you must have some objective critieria for saying one culture (e.g. australia in 2008) is better than another culture (e.g. australia in 1908)

and there's no reason why you can't apply the same criteria to compare any 2 cultures, e.g. australia in 2008 compared to tribal aboriginal culture

so by your own admission, your first post about neither culture being 'better' is bullshit

also, the thing about the t-rex was hilarious, and sig-worthy

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
bobet said:
Her womb is going to devour her body. Her children will die.
THE CURSE.
Let's stay serious. I don't think anyone here believes that it makes a woman infertile. You are just offensively mocking now.

Sure, forbidding a woman to play the digeridoo might be sexist. But do you know that women were quite valued Aboriginal culture, like, the family tree was traced through the mother not the father. Like that other person said, sexism was and is part of every culture and you should not dismiss a whole culture - and every aspect of it - because of this. And not being allowed to play the digeridoo is not severly unfair imo. I'm sure there were traditions that only women could take part in.
People are saying that it was unwise of Kidman to 'play' the digeridoo and that she should have kept in mind that it would have offended people, which is fair.

Last edited:

Darrow

Executant of Life
HSC
I have never heard of this
If the Aboriginal community is taking such offence, why do they allow the sale of their "Sacred" items in gift stores where many females of all ages try them out

And shame on the media... why the hell does anyone actually care

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Rockyroad said:
Let's stay serious. I don't think anyone here believes that it makes a woman infertile. You are just offensively mocking now.

Sure, forbidding a woman to play the digeridoo might be sexist. But do you know that women were quite valued Aboriginal culture, like, the family tree was traced through the mother not the father. Like that other person said, sexism was and is part of every culture and you should not dismiss a whole culture - and every aspect of it - because of this. And not being allowed to play the digeridoo is not severly unfair imo. I'm sure there were traditions that only women could take part in.
People are saying that it was unwise of Kidman to 'play' the digeridoo and that she should have kept in mind that it would have offended people, which is fair.
lol

fuck you'll attempt to justify the most mundane shit

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
No I don't have a soul, and neither do you.

The "they were here first" argument is weak and inconsistent.

It is also supports the idea that humans as a species are divided by race. Imo race is an unhelpful social construct.

I view the cultural practices of my ancestors as irrelevant.

The way I see the world, I am a human being like anyone else and regardless of how I got here, I am here now, and I intend to make the most of my life by selecting whatever beliefs, values and practices I find most attractive.

We'd be much better of if we forgot about race and got on with living our lives as human beings.

If you take this view, I really don't see how a rational person could find many aspects of Aboriginal culture attractive.
Race can be forgotten about when races are equal. Sure we should live as humans regardless of our race but the fact remains that people have culture, religion and personal beliefs.
'i view the cultural practices of my ancestors as irrelevant'
Hello? - this is not about ancient times, racism happens today, Aborigines exist today and have beliefs and a culture.
You want race to be irrelevant? Well so do I. And yet, a bigger proportion of Aborigines than whites live in 3rd world conditions and have a lower life expectancy blah blah. What you are saying is incredibly shallow and flimsy.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
jb_nc said:
lol

fuck you'll attempt to justify the most mundane shit
sure u know what mundane means?
it means boring.
if you think this thread is boring then don't read it.

:)

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
bobet said:
^^ yeah and those are the ones that dont get the fucking huge pay outs.
Ever watched Aboriginal TV?
okay i know they are racist toward us, but gosh their conditions are terrible.
This grandmother was looking after 3 small children 'coz her son was an alcoholic and violent. Many of them lived in fear because youths and fellow drunks a like were attackign them.
Nothing was being done because the police are say 50km away from their town so the violence cant be subdued.
These are the ones with the shit conditions. These are the ones that need money.
Tbh I don't get ur point. And I don't understand its relevance to what I said. Please exlpain.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
cxlxoxk said:
minor???

And now women make up a significantly larger number of enrolments than men. 58% at Sydney Uni if memory serves.
Now they have the exact same rights that men do, except that they're more likely to receive a greater proportion of assets than they themselves contributed in divorce settlements.
In the past, stop living in the past.
1. That's not the fault of any legislation.
2. There's a stigma associated with male victims of sexual abuse, and these are much more rarely prosecuted even when they are reported.
3. Victims of murder and assault are far more likely to be men than women.
Who here is arguing this?
What? Affirmative action discriminates against men.
Little wonder when they can't count past four.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
cxlxoxk said:
Does that mean human civilisation are better than dinosaurs of the past?

The Tyrannosaurus Rex has been estimated to have a life expectancy of 40 years. Does that mean that if we brought 6.6-7 billion T-Rex's to life, into our world today uncaged, that we would be better? I say it is impossible to tell... even if we know their lifespan is shorter than humans...
T-Rex's are fucking awesome so yeah, we would be better

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Rockyroad said:
the family tree was traced through the mother not the father.
When 98% of the offspring are the product of multiple rapes one would think it'd be hard to do otherwise.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I hope an Aboriginal stabs you in the eye with a nigga knife one day while you're walking through Redfern.

:rofl:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I hope an Aboriginal stabs you in the eye with a nigga knife one day while you're walking through Redfern.

:rofl:
I don't walk through Redfern.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Darrow said:
I have never heard of this
If the Aboriginal community is taking such offence, why do they allow the sale of their "Sacred" items in gift stores where many females of all ages try them out

And shame on the media... why the hell does anyone actually care
Shame on the media?
lol
And obviously everyone on this thread cares.
I think you shouldn't generalise every Aboriginal person into the 'Aboriginal community' and imply that they all hold the same views.
I think a lot of people (including me) are more concerned and offended about Kidman's seeming lack of respect rather than the fact that women are playing the digeridoo.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Rockyroad said:
Shame on the media?
lol
And obviously everyone on this thread cares.
I think you shouldn't generalise every Aboriginal person into the 'Aboriginal community' and imply that they all hold the same views.
I think a lot of people (including me) are more concerned and offended about Kidman's seeming lack of respect rather than the fact that women are playing the digeridoo.
Why should she respect a custom when those who came up with it clearly don't respect her gender?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Rockyroad said:
sure u know what mundane means?
it means boring.
if you think this thread is boring then don't read it.

:)
if you dont think some dumb cunt abos complaining about a woman playing blowing into a hollow stick with dots all over it boring and worthless, you need to get off the anti-depressants

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)