• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Kidman upsets Aborigines (1 Viewer)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
cxlxoxk said:
I see you don't have a soul. The aborigines have been on Australia for over 40,000 years. Australia (the people of) have only been here for 250...Doesn't that say anything about why they are "whining" (as you call it). I call it a plea, a plea for equality.

250/40,000 is only 0.625% (not even 1%)!
i have a soul, also common sense.

i'm all for equality mate, but you really should put this in perspective.

a famous person was coaxed into blowing into a didgeridoo on a foreign tv show

get

over

it

HSC
gibbo153 said:
i have a soul, also common sense.

i'm all for equality mate, but you really should put this in perspective.

a famous person was coaxed into blowing into a didgeridoo on a foreign tv show

get

over

it
+10000000000000000000000000

people need to use fucking common sense sometimes.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
40 000 years of culture produced a hollow stick, a curved stick and a long stick.

rasengan90

HSC
cxlxoxk said:
I see you don't have a soul. The aborigines have been on Australia for over 40,000 years. Australia (the people of) have only been here for 250...Doesn't that say anything about why they are "whining" (as you call it). I call it a plea, a plea for equality.

250/40,000 is only 0.625% (not even 1%)!
How the fuck is not letting a woman play an instrument equality? wtf is wrong with this country and its white guilt?

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
hahaha i hope that tool reads the last 2 posts.

xlxlclcxcoxcl or whatever, you got totally served

jb_nc said:
40 000 years of culture produced a hollow stick, a curved stick and a long stick.
ps your signature photo dances perfectly to 'kicking and screaming - presets'

Last edited:

cxlxoxk

HSC
gibbo153 said:
hahaha i hope that tool reads the last 2 posts.

xlxlclcxcoxcl or whatever, you got totally served
Aboriginal Culture has produced more than just "a hollow stick, a curved stick and a long stick".

Also...are you are saying that our culture today is better than the culture of aborigines up till 1788?

I say they are equal, and also not able to be compared due to their differences.

Although not one theory can explain why things are the way they are, I'd like to bring up the multilinear evolutionary theory of social change...Multilinear evolutionary theory says that change can occur in several ways and does not inevitably lead in the same direction and multilinear theorists observe that human societies have evolved along differing lines.

Just because we can build coal burning factories that pollute our environment, doesn't mean we are any better.

You can't say one society or one culture is better than another. We can only say that every society, every culture is different!

You can say cultures are born and die, some faster than others, but how quick cultures die out is not a legitimate measurement for "who's better", it's just like saying war determines who in an argument is right...it doesn't, all it does is determine who is left, after many people have died.

So yeah...

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Whatever, not a huge deal and most indigenous australians arent going to care that much. The bullshit about her being barren is just superstition, smh just happened the find the one wackjob who actually beleives it.

A bit of cultural sensitivity on her part would have been nice though. Its not some instrument to be blown by anyone, its a cultural item and i doubt these people like seeing parts of their culture prostituted out by tourism australia with little or no regard to cultural custom or even respecting the wishes of the owners of the land.

Doing something like that is like wiping your arse on the Australian flag, a fringe minority will get really upset about it, where as everyone else will think its kind of wrong but wont really worry about it.

-Anfernee-

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
The way I see the world, I am a human being like anyone else and regardless of how I got here, I am here now, and I intend to make the most of my life by selecting whatever beliefs, values and practices I find most attractive.

We'd be much better of if we forgot about race and got on with living our lives.
That's very idealistic and naive.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Serius said:
A bit of cultural sensitivity on her part would have been nice though. Its not some instrument to be blown by anyone, its a cultural item and i doubt these people like seeing parts of their culture prostituted out by tourism australia with little or no regard to cultural custom or even respecting the wishes of the owners of the land.
What about the tradition/customs of whites only gentlemens' clubs?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
To be fair they're expressing their dislike of what she did, most I imagine are not suggesting that for instance there should be laws to stop it.

cxlxoxk

HSC
John Oliver said:
Yeah because all of the metrics are better. You are an absolute idiot if you disagree with this.

Life expectancy, education, wealth, infant mortality, etc.

All much better. Saying they are equal is like saying our society is equal to saudi arabia. total nonsense.
Does that mean human civilisation are better than dinosaurs of the past?

The Tyrannosaurus Rex has been estimated to have a life expectancy of 40 years. Does that mean that if we brought 6.6-7 billion T-Rex's to life, into our world today uncaged, that we would be better? I say it is impossible to tell... even if we know their lifespan is shorter than humans...

-Anfernee-

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Totally different.

That's a private club and I have no problem with it. If aboriginals want to create a men only didgeridoo club, let them go for it.

The issue is they are trying to tell an individual (Kidman) what they can and cannot do.

Actually, they have tribal laws prohibiting women to partake in such disrepestful acts.

Luckily for Kidman she doesn't fall under the jurisdiction of such laws.

rasengan90

HSC
cxlxoxk said:
Also...are you are saying that our culture today is better than the culture of aborigines up till 1788?
Ah well, at least sexism is not a fundamental part of our culture. Our women are allowed to play guitar and shit; look at Courtney Love (possibly a bad example).

-Anfernee-

HSC
rasengan90 said:
Ah well, at least sexism is not a fundamental part of our culture. Our women are allowed to play guitar and shit; look at Courtney Love (possibly a bad example).

Women are always playing second fiddle to men, even in developed societies and cultures; in terms of pay, promotions and the ratio of women to men in middle management and senior positions in corporate is 1 to 8.

This is most alarming in professional sports where women are payed at an abysmal rate compared to their male counterparts. I do concede however, that this may be due to the product being significantly inferior ( i.e. WNBL, W-League). I don't think mysoginsitic attitudes towards women ever really went away, we just don't talk about it that much anymore.

Last edited:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Fuck sakes these whining Aborigines. They should worry more about trying to prevent itself from being a extinct alcoholic race.

Really, can't take a photo on a Aboriginal sacred land, women not allowed to blow on a dildo instrument. Wake up to the 21st century!!! you Aboriginals are asking for a another stolen generation.

cxlxoxk

HSC
rasengan90 said:
sexism is a fundamental part of any western world culture...it is...have you heard of affirmative action or the glass ceiling effect, or how about the fact that women get sexually assaulted more than men...women had much less equality in the past, and they still don't have equality now...

---

i'm saying aborigines are different to the rest of australia in terms of their past and their culture...and this alone makes them incomparable

also those statistics we have are based on disadvantaged indigenous australians...affected by drug and alcohol abuse and disease that was brought to them by the arrival of the first fleet in 1788 till now.

do we have any 251+ years old statistics?

rasengan90

HSC
-Anfernee- said:
Women are always playing second fiddle to men, even in developed societies and cultures; in terms of pay, promotions and the ratio of women to men in middle management and senior positions in corporate is 1 to 8.

This is most alarming in professional sports where women are payed at an abysmal rate compared to their male counterparts. I do concede however, that this may be due to the product being significantly inferior ( i.e. WNBL, W-League). I don't think mysoginsitic attitudes towards women ever really went away, we just don't talk about it that much anymore.
No. Issues in the workforce are not legal they are social and much too complicated to be bothered going in to. There is nothing a woman cannot do legally that a man can; this is the greatest difference in gender relations between our cultures. There are minor cases of sexism in our society but not near the level of oppression and abuse Aboriginal women face.

cxlxoxk

HSC
rasengan90 said:
No. Issues in the workforce are not legal they are social and much too complicated to be bothered going in to. There is nothing a woman cannot do legally that a man can; this is the greatest difference in gender relations between our cultures. There are minor cases of sexism in our society but not near the level of oppression and abuse Aboriginal women face.

minor???

- unis -> tertiary institutions did not let women enter until later then men.

- property ownership -> had limited rights and got full rights later than men did.

- right to vote -> received later then men

- right to safety -> sexual assault/rape incidences are higher for women then men.

- prejudice -> "women should be housewives, not working"

- employment -> managerial positions - glass ceiling effect, affirmative action.

out of 5 main areas of society (health, education, housing and employment), women are/were disadvantaged in all 5!!!

government/politics, health, education, housing and employment!!!

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
rasengan90 said:
Of course there's no law excluding a woman from a job. That's why it's called a glass ceiling.
As in, its not official, you can't see it and yet it is still there.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Serius said:
Whatever, not a huge deal and most indigenous australians arent going to care that much. The bullshit about her being barren is just superstition, smh just happened the find the one wackjob who actually beleives it.

Doing something like that is like wiping your arse on the Australian flag, a fringe minority will get really upset about it, where as everyone else will think its kind of wrong but wont really worry about it.
Ha I totally agree. smh didn't even express the view that u are saying which is probably the main view by Aborigines, and suggested by quoting that one person, that a lot more people thought the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)