King Lear at Bondi (1 Viewer)

HSC
this production wasnt that great i thought there would be more interpretation as they said it would be "contemporary".

anyway, fact is it's another production to analyse and im just wondering if anyone who went to see it would wanna share notes ?

thanks...

HSC
hey gemma...well we're gon be sharing in class anywayz

laytz

Last edited:

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
stay home- don't go.. its the worst. The whole contemporary production is bs- its traditonal with alcohol, tight leather pants and scaffolding

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
yeah i agree with u stephanie... but i thought it was alrite.. like although nothing made a lota sence to me as we havent really done it yet but the questioneire at the end make it all ok...
did u guys even made notes??/ on what?? :-o!!

santaslayer

HSC
i thought bondi pavillion production was pretty good actually......
maybe thats coz we got forced to watch the black 'n' white versions of king lear before we went to bondi......

marlen

HSC
yer i made a few notes throught the bondi production on 17th march, i found it mundain and not ostentatious, and confused me more through the transformation form jacobean to contemporary life.
realise the simplicity of the staging, Gemma the director explains the simplicity; she states that having the staging complex and in detail will remove the audience focus on the characters and the plot and more on the staging.
Also realise the use of the dice that edmund caries and cards that goneril plays with, this shows the notion of fortune. even though this is minor it stil impacts on the play as edmund, goneril and regans behaviour revolves around fortune.
ummm wat else. Notion of edgars disguise was not of changing appearence but of emotional and sociological disguise. the disguise of madness.
make not that the storm is a symbol of chaos of mind, and of society. the storm noises did not really sound like storm but of sirens and people screaming, this is what brings out the realisation of chaos on society.
also dont confuse your self, the fool in the bodi pavilion production dies on stage while in the text he is not mentioned as what happens to him. so be aware that the fool leaves the audience without anyone knowing what happend but in the production having the fool die on the stage was the use of creative licensing, so that the audience will not wonder "what did happen to the fool?"
thats all i can bother typing, ive got other notes, so if anyone needs help or didt understand somethin just ask,
hope this done somethin

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
My teacher said that the Bondi production changes every year... but i really like the black and white absurdist one.
We (being my friends and I) didnt take notes, but did you notice that Lear skipped some lines and that you didnt care when everyone died? Albany was awful and so was Cordeila and I wanted to scratch Cornwalls eyes out. I'm not going to do it for the exams anyway, but yeh, the whole storm/anarchy thing really didnt do it for me.
I think once you do it and get into the whole play and the interpretations, you'll realise that this one had really important elements missing

marlen

HSC
i really found it boring as well, but after speakin toi the director and the producer, it actualy made more sense as i was confused. it is actually relevant to this study as we need to understand that shakespear only wrote of issues in his world and the issues that carry on in life. and wat gemma the director was trying to do was to show this that what happend back then is actually contemporary as well. many people interpret this play in there own way with justification, and through this production i think that is what the directore and actor done

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
I dont really think that the director thought much about the literary theory behind the bondi version. What confused me was that she said that Shakespeare was our contemporary- yet felt the need to try and make the play more modern. Personally, I didn't think that the stage made much of a difference because they characters, to me weren't well rounded and they put emotion in the wrong places and they missed lines- Cordelia was so awful, her pitiful attempt to cry at the end was absolutely woeful and Edgar kills Edmond was almost as bad. I think killing the fool was a good idea, but i think that she should of taken the alcohol idea and used that in regards to power and the false sense of power that Lear has and relate that to the effect that alcohol can have on people. Honestly, I dont really think that the actors had a very good idea of the play as a whole. We discussed the play in class today, and pretty much all 3 adv. teachers agreed that it was wasted money and i know that my entire class is sticking to the 3 we've done.
Gee.. i really didnt like Bondi did i.. lol

korry

HSC
N/A
i'd hafta say this production really wasn't that good...i mean the actors really couldn't act....wat was with all the drinking? haha and when they were poking Goucester's second eye out it was so fake...ahahaha....anyways it was so boring that my friends and i just left in the interval...ahahahha...pretty disappointing...

oh u kno the guy that plays cornwall or albany? can't remember...anyways the really muscly one? hahaa apparently he's some gay ex footballer....now turned actor

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
Yeh Albany- his name is Ian Roberts and he was such a bad actor. It seemed as though all he did was stand on stage with his arms crossed across his chest.. if you had stayed to the end, you would of seen his pitiful attempt at the final scene which is supposed to be emotional and you're supposed to feel something- Instead I felt pity for him because he was just sooo bad!

GemmaHavok

Suck my kiss
two floors down getting high in the backroom
HSC
Originally posted by steph@nie

We (being my friends and I) didnt take notes,
Excuse me Stephanie! I did take notes (I think I was the only one in the theatre that did)
Doing a contemporary version doesn't just involving changing cosumes and props, it requires change to dialogue and how much emphasis is put on cetain aspects of the play. The Bondi production didn't do that.
The actors were strange, like what was with Gonneril's "I think women's roles have changed" As if the women in King Lear were oppressed in anyway!

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
haha.. sorry gem! Were your notes worth anything.. like usefulness wise? i finally wrote a Frontline essay.. woo go me!

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by marlen
yer i made a few notes throught the bondi production on 17th march,
I went then as well!

Where did you sit? I sat on the far left facing the stage so l sawfacing the door we came in through.

Did you see those guys at the back? they were getting boners over that not-even-close to a sex scene.

I enjoyed it, and the Q&A part was good. I liked the guy who was in the black with the gun (he was regans wife) l thought he was hot.

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
Originally posted by Misturi
I went then as well!

Where did you sit? I sat on the far left facing the stage so l sawfacing the door we came in through.

Did you see those guys at the back? they were getting boners over that not-even-close to a sex scene.

I enjoyed it, and the Q&A part was good. I liked the guy who was in the black with the gun (he was regans wife) l thought he was hot.
I went on the 17th.. we sat pretty much smack bang in the middle. The guys at the back were so stupid!! They kept making gay comments throughout the whole thing.. so irritating. Regan's husband.. Cornwall.. was he the one who came across as really snide and evil? the red shirt one??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)